Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Precipitation and Mud

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Precipitation and Mud Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Precipitation and Mud - 11/14/2020 4:27:24 PM   
76mm

In my quest to understand TOAW scenario design, I've run into the next mystery: precipitation and mud...

I'm using the "northern" climate zone, with "temperate" temperatures and "occasional" precipitation. My understanding is that "occasional" precipitation should equate to fairly arid conditions, because the only lower precipitation level is "no precipitation". Given these parameters, I would not expect to see very much mud in June. However, during the many times I've test run the scenario, there are huge amounts of mud every time, even after I changed the mud scalar to 250 (which I think should make it dry more quickly??).

The last time I made a point of reviewing weather reports every turn. Of the first ten turns, seven featured rain, from "occasional" to "heavy". Note that this is under conditions of "occasional" precipitation--not "moderate" or "heavy".

By the end, here were the mud results:

This level of mud is pretty typical of what I've seen during test runs, and to me it is excessive given the supposedly arid conditions, and the increased mud scalar.

How can I get less rain (without mandating "no precipitation" in the environment editor) and less mud?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 76mm -- 11/14/2020 4:29:36 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/14/2020 6:07:10 PM   
76mm

Just repeated this experiment--this time there was some kind of precipitation 9 of the 10 first turns (again, with a setting of "occasional" precipitation). Resulting mud was roughly the same as last time. The resulting hit on mobility is huge. Am I the only person that thinks this is an issue?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/14/2020 6:52:00 PM   
76mm

Just repeated this with "no precipitation"--actually there was precipitation on five of the first ten turns. Something does not seem right with the precipitation model...

Also, currently mud is being generated as soon as there is "occasional" precipitation during even one turn. I don't think this is how it should be--I wouldn't think that mud should start forming until there had been "moderate" rain for at least two turns. I don't think that "light rain" for even ten turns in a row should create mud...

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 3
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/14/2020 7:24:06 PM   
76mm

OK, last time I'll post results, but just tried another ten turns on a setting of "no precipitation"--in fact eight of the ten had some level of precipitation...

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/14/2020 7:37:49 PM   
Raindem

Are there any temperature changes caused by events? Those will cause increased precipitation.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/14/2020 7:50:27 PM   
76mm

There are no events relating to temperature changes, storms, etc.

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 6
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/14/2020 9:21:06 PM   
Zovs

I have also notice this bug in my small Normandy scenario I am testing. I have had to tweak the mud scalar and precipitation and I am also seeing excessive mud.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/15/2020 12:44:05 AM   
sPzAbt653

Is everybody using the New Mud Rules? I have limited experience but found it easier to NOT use them.

There is also a Temperature setting to be fiddled with.

But I agree, setting a scenario to No Precipitation would maybe kind of mean NO Precipitation, lol.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 8
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/15/2020 12:48:19 AM   
Zovs

Yes I have been using the new mud rules, thinking they would be an improvement, but it seems bugged.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/15/2020 1:04:17 AM   
76mm

Yes, I have also been using the new mud rules. My mistake.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 10
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/15/2020 1:54:35 PM   
Lobster

I used a 700x700 map at 2.5km per hex. With the new mud rules and no precipitation I could find no mud on the map. With the new mud rules off there was some mud but no more than one tile big and fairly spaced out. This was regardless of zone and temperature. I suppose if you had the time you could go through all the map scales and see what happens.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that—George Carlin

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/15/2020 2:48:10 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
I used a 700x700 map at 2.5km per hex. With the new mud rules and no precipitation I could find no mud on the map.

I am also using a roughly 300x300 map with 2.5 km hexes and no precipitation. There is no mud at the beginning of Turn 1 (unless there is precipitation), but it appears with the first precipitation, even the lightest precipitation, and then multiplies from there.

Have you run the first ten turns of your scenario to see how much precipitation/mud you get?

[EDIT]That said, with "no precipitation" mud is not too bad. Any other precipitation setting, and it gets a bit out of hand.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 11/15/2020 3:12:44 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 12
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/15/2020 2:53:43 PM   
golden delicious

I vaguely recall from the old TDG days that one wants "No precipitation" unless you want mud to be a major factor.

Also, I believe rain won't fall on "arid" hexes- actually as far as I'm aware that's the sole purpose of this terrain.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 13
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/15/2020 4:00:52 PM   
sPzAbt653

New Mud Rules are good for something, but all these years later I can't remember specifics. Tests were done showing the effects [might have been on the development forum only], but to me it is like New Supply and New Turn - something else to tinker with if you need more specific/different results, otherwise leave them off.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 14
RE: Precipitation and Mud - 11/15/2020 4:44:58 PM   
Lobster

I've always considered mud to be way over done in this game. And the way it's scattered all over the place is not only an annoyance, it's not even correct.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that—George Carlin

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Precipitation and Mud Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI