Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rapier a bit blunt?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Rapier a bit blunt? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rapier a bit blunt? - 11/12/2020 10:40:52 AM   
Tuhhodge

I was playing a scenario yesterday where three batteries of rapiers fired approximately 25 SAMs at a Russian helo and obtained no hits. The helo was stationary for 20 minutes!

Meanwhile I lose Kiowas within moments when faced by Russian recon units. The helos seemingly ignore orders to bug out and take no evasive action on their own accord. Is this normal?
Post #: 1
RE: Rapier a bit blunt? - 11/12/2020 10:51:56 AM   
Searry

The rapier was a rushjob IIRC, the best AA the Brits have is the scorpion.

The Helos should always be used from a height difference and always have a waypoint to go back to base as the last waypoint. Otherwise they are dead. If used correctly they are extremely good units.

(in reply to Tuhhodge)
Post #: 2
RE: Rapier a bit blunt? - 11/12/2020 12:20:08 PM   
CapnDarwin

Tuhhodge, that does seem a bit odd. Even though the marker for the Helo does not move to a new hex, the unit is considered to be moving and masking within the hex. If you can send me a save game that will show some of the SAM attacks, I can see if there is anything amiss with the numbers.

As for the light scout helos, the 14.5mm guns on most Soviet scouts can take out a light helo if they get a good shot at it.

Work on Southern Storm continues as we squish bugs and work on features.

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 3
RE: Rapier a bit blunt? - 11/13/2020 7:00:26 AM   
Tuhhodge

quote:

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin

Tuhhodge, that does seem a bit odd. Even though the marker for the Helo does not move to a new hex, the unit is considered to be moving and masking within the hex. If you can send me a save game that will show some of the SAM attacks, I can see if there is anything amiss with the numbers.

As for the light scout helos, the 14.5mm guns on most Soviet scouts can take out a light helo if they get a good shot at it.

Thanks very much for the reply.

I’m not sure I can do that but I’ll try!

It was quite honestly about 2 or 3 orders phases that it was there ard at least 20, maybe 30 SAMs from 3 different launches from different directions.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Rapier a bit blunt? - 11/13/2020 7:01:56 AM   
Tuhhodge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Searry

The rapier was a rushjob IIRC, the best AA the Brits have is the scorpion.

The Helos should always be used from a height difference and always have a waypoint to go back to base as the last waypoint. Otherwise they are dead. If used correctly they are extremely good units.

Interesting. I’d be grateful for a few more pointers on Helo use. Mine do seem to get shot down very quickly.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 5
RE: Rapier a bit blunt? - 11/13/2020 12:21:50 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Searry

Player should not have to set a waypoint back to base. Helos should have a SOP to take evasive action, drop down and drop back towards base under cover. I've had helos taken out by SAMS 15-20 hexes away on first shot, and then second helo isn't smart enough to drop before getting taken out also. It's one of my gripes with the game. Hopefully SS will fix this and other things. Looking forward to seeing what improvements are implemented.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 6
RE: Rapier a bit blunt? - 11/14/2020 10:04:46 AM   
Searry

Honestly once you figure out how the Helos work, they are really useful. What I do is I try to identify a path, where the LOS to the Helo is broken for the most of the way, pop it up once into a hex where the elevation is high, and then retreat back to base to rearm. Of course sometimes the helos get stuck evading the enemy and then probably get blasted by artillery.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 7
RE: Rapier a bit blunt? - 11/16/2020 10:05:17 PM   
Zakalwe101

Can't say there is any real life evidence as to the effectiveness of tracked Rapier, but the ground Post Rapiers sent to the Falklands were woeful in perfrmance, being bashed about at sea for 6 weeks don't do electronics much good, equipped with a second rate sighting system, impact fuse only, poorly placed meant they did not perform as advertised - once again shoddy kit.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Rapier a bit blunt? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI