Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Neutral Belgium gambit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Neutral Belgium gambit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/10/2020 5:32:20 PM   
havoc1371

I have never tried to invade Belgium as the Central Powers against another player, and every game I've played as Entente, the Central Powers have failed with the historical strategy. What has worked for me as the Central Powers is defending in the West, while applying overwhelming force against Russia and Serbia. So far, I've not had a game last beyond the summer of 1917 as either side. Has anyone been successful as the Central Powers with a historical approach to the Western Front against another player who was equally competent and experienced? Strategic Command World at War and War in Europe have multiple possibilities to winning the game as either side, but WW1 seems to have limitations in viable grand strategies.
Post #: 1
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/11/2020 1:32:28 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

I personally invade Belgium forthwith everytime. Leaving Belgian neutral and not pressing the French and UK in the west generally leads to those 2 powers overtaking Germany in tech by 1916 because of all the extra MMPs they have saved from not replacing units. Also, France's National Morale won't take hits like is needed early.

Of course, Russia and Serbia can not be forgotten, so its a razor's edge strategy to do both East and West operations at the same time. Leaving the Western Entente at rest can lead to them pulling off 'Adventures' elsewhere like the Balkans, Adriatic, and the Ottoman theater. The Germans need to hit Belgium and consequently Northern France and points on the Fort Line so bad that it will take France at least a year or more to recover..this leads to Germany pivoting east to try to push Russia out of Poland by the end of 1915 and help Austria-Hungary in Serbia and the Alpine Front.

This is the theory at least..and works more times than not for me.

(in reply to havoc1371)
Post #: 2
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/11/2020 4:29:50 AM   
Chernobyl

I attack Belgium every time. But I'm not a super pro, especially at the late game. I only have 1 game of experience so far against a human and it ended in 1915.

My logic is similar to Crow's. Belgium gives a lot of MPP. Even though French mines activate, you get more than France does. I find that in 1915 I have three Armies in France and three in Russia. The seventh one gets sent to Italy or Serbia. What happens in 1916? I don't know. Artillery changes everything and I might have to fall back. But at least in that case I have more ground to give.

< Message edited by Chernobyl -- 11/11/2020 4:30:09 AM >

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 3
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/11/2020 4:47:11 PM   
havoc1371

More than willing to play as Entente against a Central Power player to see the Schlieffen plan (or modified plan) in action.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 4
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/13/2020 1:56:28 AM   
ThisEndUp

Havoc,
I'd be willing to take you on. Both my PBEM games are running, well, sprinting really, to their conclusion. I'd like to add that Belgium itself is quite susceptible to a French invasion due to it's longer border there. They're too strategically important to be left neutral. France in control of the Belgian mines can become quite a problem.

OldCrow,
Rematch with you as the CP this time? Hopefully I'll be able to wield Russia with as much skill as you have in this one.

< Message edited by ThisEndUp -- 11/13/2020 2:00:45 AM >

(in reply to havoc1371)
Post #: 5
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/13/2020 2:26:33 AM   
havoc1371

I'll set up the game in PBEM++ with you as the Central Powers. Password go2war

(in reply to ThisEndUp)
Post #: 6
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/13/2020 2:29:53 AM   
ThisEndUp

Cool. Any interest in a mirror match? I'm quite curious to see what the eastern strategy looks like.

(in reply to havoc1371)
Post #: 7
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/13/2020 3:13:38 AM   
havoc1371

Okay. I'll set up the other one same pw.

(in reply to ThisEndUp)
Post #: 8
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/13/2020 3:51:09 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

ThisEndUp
quote:

OldCrow,
Rematch with you as the CP this time? Hopefully I'll be able to wield Russia with as much skill as you have in this one.

ThisEndUp
haha..You were reading my mind again like in our current game where you've basically been one step ahead of me where it matters throughout the whole war!

I've set up the game...
Password: Belgium
Give me a day or two after you accept the challenge to get things rolling.

Cheers and good luck!

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 11/13/2020 4:06:10 AM >

(in reply to ThisEndUp)
Post #: 9
RE: Neutral Belgium gambit - 11/13/2020 4:28:03 AM   
ThisEndUp

Best of luck to you both!

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Neutral Belgium gambit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI