Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie questions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Multiplayer Sessions >> Newbie questions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie questions... - 11/10/2020 4:48:26 PM   
JDT

Hi all;

New to SC WaW PBEM...interested in trying a PBEM game (this would be my first time trying PBEM). A few questions:

1. How does one set up a PBEM game? How does one join a PBEM game?
2. How does one communicate with an opponent during a game? Is there a 'chat' or comms function?
3. Do PBEM players typically play with FOW on or off?
4. To keep things reasonably realistic, is there a process to prevent 'gamey' gameplay in a PBEM game?
5. When things go from bad to worse, how does one gracefully resign from a game?
6. What is the reasonable 'expectation' of time commitment---e.g. 1 turn per day when playing PBEM?

Thanks!

Cheers from Canada
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie questions... - 11/10/2020 5:18:09 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: JDT

Hi all;

New to SC WaW PBEM...interested in trying a PBEM game (this would be my first time trying PBEM). A few questions:

1. How does one set up a PBEM game? How does one join a PBEM game?
2. How does one communicate with an opponent during a game? Is there a 'chat' or comms function?
3. Do PBEM players typically play with FOW on or off?
4. To keep things reasonably realistic, is there a process to prevent 'gamey' gameplay in a PBEM game?
5. When things go from bad to worse, how does one gracefully resign from a game?
6. What is the reasonable 'expectation' of time commitment---e.g. 1 turn per day when playing PBEM?

Thanks!

Cheers from Canada

Hello and welcome!

1. If you select the PBEM option from the menu you get taken to a screen where you can create a challenge or host one.
2. There is a chat option but it's very limited (one short sentence per turn), forum PM and/or email is a very useful supplement
3. I think there is no option to turn it off.
4. There is no process except to discuss with your opponent before you start and establish house rules
5. by saying something along the lines of "I'm clearly losing now, so I'll resign! Good game!" and then there is a resign button in the PBEM menu. Personally I prefer to signal my intention to resign - I've known players ask to play on for a bit so they can get more experience of the late game or just enjoy doing a blitzkrieg to settle things, and this is fine.
6. This is all up for negotiation, some people get irritated if you can't keep up 1 turn/day, others are much more relaxed.
7. Most of the players who participate in the forums and/or the ELO tournament are very friendly and communicative, people who simply post games on the server are sometimes less so.

< Message edited by The Land -- 11/10/2020 5:20:12 PM >

(in reply to JDT)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie questions... - 11/11/2020 3:33:26 PM   
JDT

Hello The Land---many thanks for your reply and super info. Looks pretty straight forward. I've seen some great posts and helpful info from folks in the Forum...and your info really helps.

I would be interested in playing a PBEM with an Beginner through Intermediate player. Again...this would be my first PBEM try, so my objective would be to have a fun...and not frustrating...game :-) . If anyone is interested, please PM me in this Forum, and we can discuss game set-up.

Cheers...
J

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Multiplayer Sessions >> Newbie questions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI