Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Artillery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery - 10/28/2020 9:22:54 AM   
jarraya

I've run a few test in Sicily where I have an Infantry division attacking and entrenched enemy (Panzergrenadier) with and without attached artillery and the results are almost exactly the same in terms of losses to both sides and the inability to dislodge the enemy. I didn't get screenshots or saves unfortunately.

Can someone please help me understand how artillery works and how is the best way to use the support units?
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery - 10/28/2020 9:49:35 AM   
loki100

combat related SU should either be in the divisional unit (tanks/engineers are good for this) or in the commanding corps.

Artillery is mainly a disrupter not a killer. I'd guess what is happening is the entrenchments (& terrain given you are discussing Sicily) is significantly reducing the impact and those German Pzr Gr formations are tough.

So artillery (if it hits) mostly disrupts in the early combat phase, those disrupted elements then don't fight if you close to make an actual assault.

You may well be stopping early (see the range indicator on the battle) if your men don't fancy re-enacting the Somme?

You may want more artillery or - and this maybe hard in Sicily - heavier artillery. Ground support can compensate for a lack of this.

Or - my suggestion, go and attack something else, there must be a weaker spot in their line?

(in reply to jarraya)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery - 10/28/2020 10:07:37 AM   
Hoggorm

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

You may want more artillery or - and this maybe hard in Sicily - heavier artillery. Ground support can compensate for a lack of this.

Do you mean air support, loki?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery - 10/28/2020 11:43:01 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoggorm

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Do you mean air support, loki?

yes, the combat routine runs the impact of air-ground support first, so you get disruptions (or better) and those elements are then set aside for the main combat

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Artillery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI