Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2021 plans/expectations (no politics please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 3:16:52 PM   
MrsWargamer

2020, has been a hoot (insert truckload of grumbling here).

I got nothing of merit down this year. Spent a lot of time on my bike this summer, but covid made it so there was no place to aim for to go :)

But otherwise, the year hasn't been too bad. Just very light on getting much done.

My 2021 resolution, aim low on expectations (I've generated a lot of misery based on aiming too high for myself this year).

Short of the world ending (that's always a good way to ruin my plans), I'm aiming for a few things, of a modest nature.

All more or less hobby related (I have one relationship hope, but, I'm not going to jinx that by discussing it).

Models. Massive need for a lot of mundane airbrushing. Going to employ the kitchen, the sink allows fast easy clean up. Easy to avoid getting spray dust on things, nothing in the kitchen is vulnerable. Also easy to ventilate.

Painting. I paint landscapes. Hoping to arrange a spot to do that, so it is less a nuisance to set up to paint.

Wargaming. Soo, the usual "where to set up a board game wargame" I think I have a solution.
Wood panel backing big enough for the map. Paper or mounted not relevant. I might colour copy expendable use ones. Likely try and use cheap plywood sheets. Most wargames are not epic size. My collections is mostly 2'x4' managable.
So, the key to the idea, is pick up and store easy.
The idea is make it so I can stack against a wall like a painting.
The method, mount small finishing brad sized nails in centre of every single playable hex of the map.
Then dril a minor hole in the centre of every single counter.
Counters are then placed on the nail.
This will permit the map to be picked up and then set on it's side, and nothing happens to counters.

This of course will only work for some wargame designs. Not for blocks, not for hex side facing important designs like ASL. But with a game like A3R, perfectly fine. Fortress Europa, Anzio, Russian Front, all doable. But my main objective, is for my monster game The Longest Day. Takes me days to set it up. Is all but impossible to find the space, normally. But I have no trouble finding a place to stack the boards. I'm an artist, I routinely have stacks of canvasses stored around here. I can store a 5'x5.5' sized surface.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Post #: 1
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 3:37:26 PM   
Blond_Knight

Ive been extraordinarily fortunate. My IT job is unaffected by the apocalypse and Ive been able to work from home since March.
I got out of a toxic relationship, and found a beautiful, geeky, sci fi woman that Im now engaged to.

For 2021 I plan to keep learning the violin, paint more miniatures, and saving money for WITE2.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 2
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 3:41:01 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

I got out of a toxic relationship, and found a beautiful, geeky, sci fi woman that Im now engaged to.

You lucky BASTARD! Congratulations!

[edit]
Is she wargamer? Can we expect to see her around this forum?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 3
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 4:19:51 PM   
rico21

Staying alive and playing wargames.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 4
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 5:07:49 PM   
jwarrenw13

I am looking forward to the inauguration of..........oh, wait, no politics.

I retired from my second career this summer. Teaching, after a military career. Wife and I look forward to spending time with our grandson (and our daughter and her husband) who is 1.5 years old right now and lives just 15 miles away, and travelling some when it becomes safer. I'm 66 and both of us have some health conditions, so we are keeping a moderately low profile, not totally isolating, but avoiding big crowds and not eating in restaurants, doing takeout instead, that kind of thing. In fact I made my retirement decision based on the current covid situation. I planned to teach a few more years.

I have always been active and now find I have more time to run and work out. I work out daily now instead of 3 times a week. And my heart doctor has encouraged me to keep working out due to a heart condition. In fact, he has told me, "Don't stop exercising."

I am spending more time reading, currently the Galaxy's Edge sci fi series by Jason Anspach and Max Cole. I highly recommend it if you like sci fi with lot of detailed combat action, ground and space, with intrigue and politics mixed in.

I'm doing some on line mentoring of my relacement at the school where I taught, just volunteering to give some initial advice and answering questions. I was the school yearbook sponsor as well as teaching English, and the yearbook is tricky and requires different skills like business management and such, especially the first year.

And I'm spending more time playing games. For example, I'm running my very first heavily committed full run WITE, playing as Germany. It is December. I've taken Moscow and one hex of Leningrad. I think I am on the edge of either a glorious victory or a huge upcoming collapse. I've played scenarios but never thought I had the time to go a full game. On the other hand, I am also running a game of Star Traders: Frontiers. I really like that game. I'm a smuggler and just getting started on a new game after starting a couple just to get some experience. I'm alternating days on those two games right now. Also looking at Griftland. And will get back to the brilliant Shadow Empire and Shock Force 2 in time.

We also got to two hurricanes this summer in north Louisiana with only minor damage and only five days without power. Fortunately daughter and husband had power for 3 of those days. And the fence guy happens to be here right now repairing a 15-foot section of privacy fence that was literally snapped off at the base (wooden posts) and pushed back into a storeroom by a wind gust. My only damage. So things are good.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 5
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 5:14:49 PM   
jwarrenw13

Oops. Double post. How did I do that? Thought I was editing.

< Message edited by jwarrenw13 -- 10/23/2020 5:15:24 PM >

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 6
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 6:56:10 PM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

You lucky BASTARD! Congratulations!

[edit]
Is she wargamer? Can we expect to see her around this forum?

Alas no. Shes very much a Sims player. Although she did get me into WOW, which is, eh OK.
But even playing different games we game together, which is cool.

Shes mildly amused listening to me last weekend playing Warplan and WITW. And only a little concerned to hear I dont play as the Amis. But I explained der Fuhrer had ordered me to hold the Russians out of Prussia(Warplan), and defend Italia(WITW)and how those pesky Amis wouldnt stop bombing my production centers.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 7
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 7:16:55 PM   
RangerJoe

I would mount those unit pieces on magnets and magnetize the board. I have seen that and it won't ruin the counters.

Hopefully I can get a new computer this year and a decent vehicle next year.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 8
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 7:21:10 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

I retired from my second career this summer. Teaching, after a military career. Wife and I look forward to spending time with our grandson (and our daughter and her husband) who is 1.5 years old right now and lives just 15 miles away, and travelling some when it becomes safer. I'm 66 and both of us have some health conditions, so we are keeping a moderately low profile, not totally isolating, but avoiding big crowds and not eating in restaurants, doing takeout instead, that kind of thing. In fact I made my retirement decision based on the current covid situation. I planned to teach a few more years.

I have always been active and now find I have more time to run and work out. I work out daily now instead of 3 times a week. And my heart doctor has encouraged me to keep working out due to a heart condition. In fact, he has told me, "Don't stop exercising."

I am spending more time reading, currently the Galaxy's Edge sci fi series by Jason Anspach and Max Cole. I highly recommend it if you like sci fi with lot of detailed combat action, ground and space, with intrigue and politics mixed in.

I'm doing some on line mentoring of my relacement at the school where I taught, just volunteering to give some initial advice and answering questions. I was the school yearbook sponsor as well as teaching English, and the yearbook is tricky and requires different skills like business management and such, especially the first year.

And I'm spending more time playing games. For example, I'm running my very first heavily committed full run WITE, playing as Germany. It is December. I've taken Moscow and one hex of Leningrad. I think I am on the edge of either a glorious victory or a huge upcoming collapse. I've played scenarios but never thought I had the time to go a full game. On the other hand, I am also running a game of Star Traders: Frontiers. I really like that game. I'm a smuggler and just getting started on a new game after starting a couple just to get some experience. I'm alternating days on those two games right now. Also looking at Griftland. And will get back to the brilliant Shadow Empire and Shock Force 2 in time.

We also got to two hurricanes this summer in north Louisiana with only minor damage and only five days without power. Fortunately daughter and husband had power for 3 of those days. And the fence guy happens to be here right now repairing a 15-foot section of privacy fence that was literally snapped off at the base (wooden posts) and pushed back into a storeroom by a wind gust. My only damage. So things are good.

Well, if you have been in the US military during wartime, I do believe that there is a program for wartime era veterans for aid and attendance. You might want to check it out but don't be turned off right away if your income is too high since there are deductions for medical expenses including things that you may not consider medical expenses.

Also, consider getting a generator and some sort of battery back-up in case you need to turn off and service the generator. That way, you could still wargame. But that is what you get for living someplace where you are so friendly with your storms that you name them.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 9
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 9:03:55 PM   
Grognerd_INC

Goals: Stay above ground another year.
Expectations: Watch the world continue to crumble around us.

Formerly Grognerd, currently nobody.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 9:09:11 PM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

Well, if you have been in the US military during wartime, I do believe that there is a program for wartime era veterans for aid and attendance. You might want to check it out but don't be turned off right away if your income is too high since there are deductions for medical expenses including things that you may not consider medical expenses.

Also, consider getting a generator and some sort of battery back-up in case you need to turn off and service the generator. That way, you could still wargame. But that is what you get for living someplace where you are so friendly with your storms that you name them.

Thanks. We're good and prepared. Especially since there is another potential tropical storm in the Gulf right now. Invest 95L. South of western Cuba right now and headed...somewhere. Computer projections are all over the place so far.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 11
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/23/2020 11:19:22 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
Wargaming. Soo, the usual "where to set up a board game wargame" I think I have a solution.
Wood panel backing big enough for the map. Paper or mounted not relevant. I might colour copy expendable use ones. Likely try and use cheap plywood sheets. Most wargames are not epic size. My collections is mostly 2'x4' managable.
So, the key to the idea, is pick up and store easy.
The idea is make it so I can stack against a wall like a painting.
The method, mount small finishing brad sized nails in centre of every single playable hex of the map.
Then dril a minor hole in the centre of every single counter.
Counters are then placed on the nail.
This will permit the map to be picked up and then set on it's side, and nothing happens to counters.

This of course will only work for some wargame designs. Not for blocks, not for hex side facing important designs like ASL. But with a game like A3R, perfectly fine. Fortress Europa, Anzio, Russian Front, all doable. But my main objective, is for my monster game The Longest Day. Takes me days to set it up. Is all but impossible to find the space, normally. But I have no trouble finding a place to stack the boards. I'm an artist, I routinely have stacks of canvasses stored around here. I can store a 5'x5.5' sized surface.

I seriously hope you jesting?

If not I’ll be calling the Board Wargaming Abuse Hotline and see about rescuing the innocent cardboard counters and paper maps you plan on mutilating!

Do you know (since you play ASL, assuming you know whom LFT is), that one of the fellows from LFT created a lovely and splendid VASSAL module for TLD?

It makes playing and enjoying TLD a realistic hope and saves the poor cardboard warriors a gruesome impaling death and the work of art map boards from being defaced!

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

Post #: 12
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 12:33:24 AM   
MrsWargamer

Was not aware of the Vassal module. Might look into that.

I have plenty of map copies, and even made a set of counter copies (the plan was to attach to straight pins and use a corkboard surface).

Not really wanting to centre hole 10 thousand counters. Once had a chance to sell my copy to David Heath, but even though he offered an impressive price, just couldn't let it go.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 13
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 1:21:05 AM   
Zovs

Here is the links, it’s quite lovely:

http://vasl.batisse.free.fr/the-longest-day.html

WarPlan Beta Tester

Post #: 14
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 1:30:50 AM   
Don60420

Life returning to normal, and actually having time to play some of the backlog of games I have purchased.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 15
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 1:31:10 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Great news! Nerd chicks are the best. Speaking from experience here. My nerd wife and I are going to celebrate 25 years of marriage next year.

Post #: 16
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 10:17:14 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

.....and found a beautiful, geeky, sci fi woman that Im now engaged to.

My nerd wife and I are going to celebrate 25 years of marriage next year.
warspite1

Congrats to you both - well, all four of you

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 17
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 1:09:53 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

Great news! Nerd chicks are the best. Speaking from experience here. My nerd wife and I are going to celebrate 25 years of marriage next year.

25 years! Aren't you eligible for parole yet?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 18
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 1:47:03 PM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

quote:

I must agree :)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 19
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 5:25:41 PM   
MrsWargamer

Rather than a new thread, I'll settle for saying here, thanks for the heads up re Vassal.

Wow, what a rush of nostalgia. I haven't considered Vassal for so long, odds are my stored files are long out of date now :)

So many old classics I'd like to play again. Loved a lot of the old AH flat box classics.

Maybe I need to give some serious time pondering Vassal before I start whacking holes in thousands of counters eh :)

The only thing, is I like pushing actual cardboard.

Post #: 20
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 6:04:58 PM   
Twotribes

Again rather then ruin good counters mount your maps on some thin cheap metal and glue magnets to the counters

Post #: 21
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 7:04:19 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

So many old classics I'd like to play again. Loved a lot of the old AH flat box classics.

The only thing, is I like pushing actual cardboard.

+1 cardboard and AH classics.

Post #: 22
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 7:07:02 PM   
Grognerd_INC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Again rather then ruin good counters mount your maps on some thin cheap metal and glue magnets to the counters

Years ago they made magnetized plastic holders for 1/2 inch counters. Then you mounted the map on sheet metal. Saw it plenty of times in the World in Flames crowd at the LA game conventions. Can't tell you if they still make them.

Formerly Grognerd, currently nobody.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 23
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 11:22:32 PM   
Zovs

VASSAL and the modules created have really improved over the years and this has made it possible to really play monster games, not only the old AH, SPI and GDW games, but also newer monsters from GMT and MMP.

The VASSAL site has many of these and there some “hidden” modules that are also available like the newer module for TLD I posted above and many SPI titles as well. LYG also hosts literal hundred of modules as well.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 24
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/24/2020 11:49:36 PM   
MrsWargamer

Been fiddling with the TLD and the Afrika Korps modules for a few minutes.

I think the two main barriers to a newb to Vassal, who might have played a few too many PC games a bit overly long, is

1. The interface isn't quite the same experience.
2. It's a board game, only a board game, and if you haven't played the board game, odds are you won't have much of a clue what to do.

It's clearly a great way to escape the need to set up the physical game.
But the physical game is I guess, still a bit more 'obvious' (I think that's the word I was looking for).
A board game will just sit there and do precisely nothing. You have to move the pieces, make the dice rolls and reflect the changes physically.

Understanding the Vassal modules is a bit easier, when I remember, it's really just a digital board interface, it is NOT a PC game, at all.
There is no single-player, nor multiplayer, no hot seat. IT IS NOT A PC GAME.

I'm still on the fence about going Vassal, or not, with some titles.
It seems a great ideal with a game like AK. Not sure if it is with TLD. Even though TLD is going to require massive effort to employ my current notion with image copied elements. I can adhere the counter-image copies (I once coloured them all myself eh) to bristol board and presto no damage to the original. It's a big item at 5x5.5 feet though eh. If I wasn't a painter, I'd find it hard to find spots to lean that against while in between playing (I live for places with lots of available wall surfaces :) ).

But for the simple older titles, the Vassal option is not to bad (I hate scrolling across digital maps). And the counter density isn't that daunting.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 25
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/25/2020 12:37:07 PM   
RFalvo69

If here in Italy we are hit by a second lockdown, I guess that my "Listen to your doctor, don't think too much, have fun!" list includes:

- Finally learning Advanced Squad Leader. I have the Second Edition Rulebook and the most recent edition of Beyond Valor, Yanks!, Rising Sun and For King and Country. Plus the first four Starter Kits. All of the above because last time I visited Paris a nice FLGS on the Rive Gauche had a "everything goes" sale in their wargaming department. I still have to open the first Starter Kit, though, and the videos online... Dunno, by watching some AARs I have the feeling that the effort is not worth the result. But a lot of people addicted to ASL can't be wrong. Right?

- Speaking of "learning", I'm currently learning Gary Grigsby's War in the West. I bought it on day one on Steam so... the time has come, I guess. I like it a lot.

- Playing some Operational Combat System game (possibly my favourite tabletop system). I think I'll start with Sicily II, but my dream is to be able to put on the table The Blitzkrieg Legend and play the variant with the Allies allowed to not fall for the German guise and abandon the Dyle Plan. Maybe I'll use VASSAL for this one.

- A friend of mine discovered Twilight Struggle and it is now addicted. We occasionally play in the evening. To date I have a 6-0 winning streak (always as the Russians) but "he is learning".

- Finally, I have both The Hunters and The Hunted still unopened for some serious solo play. The problem I have is that on my laptop I have installed Silent Hunter III with the extraordinary GWX Gold mod - and I don't see how a boardgame can beat "the real thing" so to speak. We will see.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 26
RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) - 10/25/2020 2:01:58 PM   
MrsWargamer

If you are seriously into ASL, wander past the Steam site for Second Front.

If you expect to play, make sure you are comfortable with VASL, because it ensures opponents are not impossible to find.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI