Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Blitzkrieg 1950 (Curt vs RB)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Blitzkrieg 1950 (Curt vs RB) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blitzkrieg 1950 (Curt vs RB) - 10/23/2020 1:56:37 AM   
rhinobones

Introduction

Started 8-23-2020
1st Force, Curt: Great Blue
2nd Force, RB: Big Red

This match is intended as a play test of the RBv01 changes made to Curt’s scenario version 4.2. The Theater Option for the short 25 turn game has been activated.

An AAR for an game played against the PO can be found here:
[link=https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4798202&mpage=1&key=1950]

Big Red Strategy

Every battle needs an opening strategy if for no other reason than as a measure of things gone wrong. Big Red plans to block Great Blue on the northern and southern fronts then split the country in two with a central thrust. This should keep the blocking units close to their support infrastructure and allow the supply, engineering and repair units to concentrate their efforts in the center. The main effort is planned to stay close to the rail lines in order to maximize supply logistics.

Chances are that the battle will result in a massive show down in the center. The plan intends to siphon enough Great Blue strength off to the flanks so that a breakthrough can be made in the center. With Big Red forces in the north and south primarily in defensive positions, it is expected that the overall causality count will be in Big Red’s favor.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil
Post #: 1
T1 Great Blue - 10/23/2020 2:00:10 AM   
rhinobones

T1 Great Blue (April 1st, 1950)

Great Blue opens the invasion with a multi-prong attack into Yellow Steppes. Combat results are mixed with most Yellow Steppes (Big Red allied) units able to retreat. Appears that Great Blue will need another week or two before Yellow Steppes is fully subdued. One recon unit does make a deep penetration into Yellow Steppes territory, but no Yellow Steppes units are exposed.

A small incursion into Greenland territory has been made, but the invading unit is not fully identified.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 2
T1 Big Red - 10/23/2020 2:02:26 AM   
rhinobones

T1 Big Red

Placed all Yellow Steppes units, Greenland units and static Big Red defensive units on Ignore Loss settings. These units are ordered to take out as many Great Blue units as possible before relinquishing their position.

Looks like Great Blue was busy blowing up Big Red bridges. At least this will give my engineers something constructive to do. Also discovered that all Big Red aircraft begin the war in “Rest” status. Great Blue bridge busters faced no opposition in their opening attacks. This has been rectified.

Moved the fleet to make an airfield attack and blundered into a land emplacement and lost my heavy naval unit. Then airfield attack was able to take out over 100 Great Blue fighter aircraft, but the cost is ships was prohibitive.

Invasion columns successfully moved into White Sector and Black Zone territories, captured or encircled designated objectives. Big Red forces are on pace to move into the Greenland and Brown County where they should run directly into the bulk of the Great Blue army.

Failed proficiency test ended the turn after the first round of combat.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 3
RE: T1 Big Red - 10/23/2020 5:43:05 AM   
StuccoFresco

Nice idea to use the navy for an airfield strike: 100 fighters destroyed aren't a bad prize.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 4
T2 Great Blue (April 8th, 1950) - 10/26/2020 10:26:08 PM   
rhinobones

T2 Great Blue (April 8th, 1950)

In the desert Great Blue has one more Yellow Steppes city to capture before the conquest is completed. As far as Big Red is concerned they can have the desert and the logistics problems that goes with it. The desert will keep their rail repair crews busy.

Using both land and air drop special forces Great Blue moves deeply into Greenland territory. This move will probably make it necessary for Big Red to establish their planned blocking force on a line further south. It will also give Great Blue a wider front to occupy.

Great Blue attacks the Big Red Task Force off their home coast but do not complete the destruction of the Big Red fleet.

At least for the moment. Great Blue seems to have eased up on their bridge busting campaign.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 5
T2 Big Red - 10/26/2020 10:29:22 PM   
rhinobones

T2 Big Red

Big Red completes the occupation of White Sector by capturing the three remaining White Sector cities. Big Red is now free to set up the planned defensive line along the eastern edge of the Yellow Steppes desert and reallocation of some of the assault forces to the central theater.

Big Red occupied two of the remaining three Black Zone cities. Most of the assault troops will be released to the central theater and the remainder ordered to the defensive line in Greenland. In Greenland, advanced armored units encountered the Great Blue Special Forces, attacked and forced some into reorganization. These lightly armed troops proved to be no match for armored forces. Expect that Great Blue will send a contingent of strong land forces to their rescue.

The naval task force which participated in the airfield attack was able to make their escape. The fleet took heavy losses (which are not replaceable) but made it to port for repairs. Great Blue seemed to have them bottled up but pulled back giving them an escae route.

The turn ended early. An attacking unit used 2 movement pulses then burned 8 pulses during the attack. Since the MRB is set to 4 this anomaly needs to be investigated.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 6
RE: T2 Big Red - 10/28/2020 4:09:33 PM   
Raindem

Great report.

My main goal for the first couple turns was to gain control of the Greenland Isthmus. That is a dangerous area for Great Blue, since a Red breakthrough would threaten our entire army. In the north I was just trying to cover as much ground as possible knowing that I would have a temporary superiority. For me, the big question mark was (and still remains) the center front. I like to concentrate there. But if Red does the same it will just turn into a bloodbath with neither side gaining much ground. So we'll have to wait and see.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 7
T3 Great Blue - 10/28/2020 7:55:11 PM   
rhinobones

T3 Great Blue (April 15th, 1950)

Great Blue penetrates deep into the Yellow Steppes desert and would seem to be at the end of their supply train. It will be interesting to see if Great Blue decides to reinforce the advanced units or pull back to a better supplied position. Meanwhile, Great Blue tries to occupy the remaining Yellow Steppes cities but finds the defending units difficult to defeat.

In the center Great Blue enters Brown County and begins to reinforce the occupation force. Looks as though Great Blue intends for this area to be their main theater of operations.

In Greenland territory Great Blue captures a coastal city which hosts a supply point. Considering that the rail roads and bridges feeding Great Blue units in Greenland are mostly demolished, holding this supply point is critical to their plans. The Greenland city to the east of the supply point is attacked but not destroyed by Blue.

Overall, the visible destruction of the Great Blue rail system would appear to be crippling Great Blue’s advanced units. Possibly Big Red can take advantage of their reduced supply state by conducting a Big Red offensive.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 8
T3 Big Red - 10/28/2020 7:56:46 PM   
rhinobones

T3 Big Red

If the Air Briefing can be believed total aircraft losses so far are 323 Big Red and 634 Great Blue aircraft. That is almost a 2 to 1 ratio. The numbers may not be completely accurate, but I have noticed a decrease in Great Blue air activity.

Great Blue is seen to stack airfields with maximum fighter aircraft units, i.e. fighter units are not being dispersed. This is a tempting target for an airfield attack.

In the north Big Red establishes a defensive line in well supplied positions. It is yet to be seen if Great Blue will attack this position while at the far reach of their supply line.

In the south Big Red pulls back to the Greenland / Black Zone boarder and begins to build a defensive position. Great Blue has occupied a Greenland supply point which is close enough to keep troops in this area reasonably supplied. However, the Great Blue attack into Greenland does not appear to be their main effort.

Strong formations, with reinforcements following in trail, move into Brown County. Their objectives are to 1) deny Big Red the use off the Brown County supply point and 2) drive Big Red forces back to Big Red territory. Large formations of Great Blue have been identified; this is going to be the battle for dominance.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 9
T4 Great Blue - 10/30/2020 7:45:52 PM   
rhinobones

T4 Great Blue (April 22nd, 1950)

The showdown is shaping up to happen in Brown County. Great Blue has moved into central Brown County, exactly where Big Red plans to start their drive into Great Blue. Great Blue was observed moving aircraft into the western Brown County airfield. Expect that these are probably short-range tactical aircraft.

In the north Great Blue seems content with a standoff in the desert. I suspect that the battle in Brown County will turn out to be a battle of attrition and troops from this northern front will provide fresh meat for the grinder.

Down south in Greenland, Big Red has established a blocking force a bit further south and east than planned, but there is a river there to provide some defensive value. Great Blue used a destroyer flotilla to do a little reconnaissance along the coast. There is a medium bomber unit there with sea interdiction orders, hopefully they did their job and busted up a few destroyers.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 10
T4 Big Red - 10/30/2020 7:47:09 PM   
rhinobones

T4 Big Red

Main action is in the Brown County area of operations. Big Red uses heavy armored formations to envelop a Great Blue armored division and reduce it to a depleted regiment. A commando unit was dropped to complete the envelopment. The commandos will be an easy target for any Great Blue counterattack.

G2 spots a group of embarked units and calls for an air strike. The strike hits embarked units (Corps HQ, 4 Divisions, 1 Artillery Bde, 1 Armored Division) but the results are disappointing. Great Blue intercepts and a number of aircraft are lost with little to show for the effort.

Units are entrenched defensively in the north and south.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 11
T4 Big Red Losses - 10/30/2020 7:48:27 PM   
rhinobones

T4 Big Red Losses

For land units losses through Turn 4 are deemed acceptable. Suspect that Great Blue losses are larger. Big Red has lost its heave cruiser and quite a few fighter aircraft.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 12
T5 Great Blue - 11/2/2020 12:09:42 AM   
rhinobones

T5 Great Blue (April 29th, 1950)

Great Blue seems to be moving a lot of troops behind his front line, out of sight of Big Red observers. From what can be detected units from around Great Blue’s capital appear to be moving into the Yellow Steppes desert. Some other troops in Greenland seem to be redeploying toward Brown County. The Fog of War is keeping Great Blue’s intentions well hidden.

Great Blue moves a few units up to the Greenland/Black Zone line and makes a few defensive redeployments in Brown County. Otherwise, Great Blue is keeping a low profile.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 13
T5 Big Red - 11/2/2020 12:11:06 AM   
rhinobones

T5 Big Red

To the north and south troops are deployed to strengthen the defensive lines. Otherwise, the sectors are quiet. Waiting to see Great Blue’s reaction.

In the center Big Red continues the main offensive. The battle starts off with an airfield attack on a stack of tactical aircraft. Great Blue fighters are pulled in and Big Red kills more aircraft than are lost. Ground forces eliminate a decimated tank regiment then make major assaults toward the Brown County supply depot and capital. Both objectives are taken, and Great Blue is pushed back with heavy casualties.

Although successful, Big Red is concerned that deployment of the full Great Blue armies is unknown.

Great Blue air strikes at turn end seem lighter than usual. Maybe the airfield attack had the desired effect.

Strategic observation. Great Blue appears to have significant problems with damaged railroad track. This should be having a negative impact on supply and the ability of troops in Brown County and Yellow Parish to conduct combat operations. This should be something that gives Big Red an advantage.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 14
RE: T5 Big Red - 11/2/2020 7:19:36 AM   
StuccoFresco

Good success in Brown Country, but except the surrounded armored division, where are Blue's armored forces?

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 15
T6 Great Blue - 11/6/2020 11:25:08 PM   
rhinobones

T6 Great Blue (May 6th, 1950)

A small group of units is seen moving across the desert toward the north flank of Big Red in Brown County. If the force is larger than that observed it could be trouble, however, there are troops available to counter this move.

Rangers make a surprise move and mount an amphibious assault along the southern coast of the Black Zone. Supported by a naval task force they make an assault against an entrenched engineering division. Somehow the engineers are able to defend their position and keep the Rangers embarked offshore.

Great Blue moves additional units along the Greenland/Black Zone front and make a couple of ineffective attacks. There are more troops moving up behind them and they look to be getting ready for a major assault.

Meanwhile, major attacks are conducted in Brown County. Great Blue gets the better of these attacks but fails to recapture either the supply point or capital. Big Red suffers shattered infantry and armored divisions. At the conclusion of the attacks, deployment of the Great Blue units does not appear to be well positioned for the inevitable Big Red counter attacks.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 16
T6 Big Red - 11/6/2020 11:26:37 PM   
rhinobones

T6 Big Red

G2 Intelligence officers look over the Great Blue deployments in Brown County and Greenland, and they appear to be lower on attack/defense values than can be explained by combat losses. Suspect they are low on supply.

Big Red begins with an airfield attack which entices Great Blues fighters to respond. The airfield is hit hard but Great Blue aircraft losses are a bit higher.

Artillery is brought up to the coast and pounds the embarked Great Blue assault troops. After a couple rounds of fire all troop transports are sunk resulting in the loss of the entire Great Blue Ranger regiment. Big Red passes out medals!

The big show is in Brown County. Heavy units strike westward and push Great Blue back with heavy losses. An attempt to encircle an infantry division fails, but it is shattered with the possible loss of two regiments. The front line is reinforced, and artillery is set to support with defensive fires.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 17
RE: T6 Big Red - 11/9/2020 10:35:09 AM   
StuccoFresco

There seems to be a strange gap south of Great Blue's troops ion Brown Country, and I see you have armored units there. Will you try a flanking move?

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 18
RE: T6 Big Red - 11/9/2020 12:56:39 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco

There seems to be a strange gap south of Great Blue's troops ion Brown Country, and I see you have armored units there. Will you try a flanking move?

The original version of this scenario had Theater Reconnaissance set at 100% which mimicked the board game. This version has Theater Reconnaissance set at 15%, so there could be a substantial number of enemy units which have not been observed.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 19
RE: T6 Big Red - 11/14/2020 8:48:25 AM   
StuccoFresco

Makes sense.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 20
T7 Great Blue (May 13th, 1950) - 12/25/2020 12:14:02 AM   
rhinobones

T7 Great Blue (May 13th, 1950)

From the deserts of the Yellow Steppes Great Blue units move southward toward the battle in Brown County. This is a threat to Big Red’s right flank; however, Commander Red believes that the Great Blue units are at the very end of their supply line and any combat operations will be seriously degraded. Meanwhile, more reinforcements are detected moving from the Great Blue homeland eastward toward Brown County. Great Blue is expected to make an attempt at recapturing the Brown County supply depot.

In the south, Great Blue punches a heavy tank unit through a weak spot in Big Red’s defense line. If not plugged quickly this could be a big problem.

Big Red’s G2 officer reports enemy air interdiction level at 34% and that the enemy reports a 50% reduction in Big Red supply. A check of supply production shows no reduction in supply. Big Red concludes that Great Blue’s G2 section is full of incompetent analysts.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 21
T7 Big Red - 12/25/2020 12:15:45 AM   
rhinobones

T7 Big Red

Big Red mobilizes units along the White Sector border to block and possibly cut in behind Great Blue units moving toward Brown County. Big Red units are in a good state of supply.

In the center Big Red makes a major assault along the enemy left flank, drives Big Blue units back and inflicts heavy losses. During the operation Big Red is able to completely envelop an infantry division which is then completely destroyed. Depending on Great Blue’s defensive moves, the encirclement and destruction of two additional infantry brigades may be possible.

South along the Greenland/Black Zone line Great Blue is able to push a heavy armored division through a gap. Big Red tries to cut the armor off by attacking the infantry behind but fails to dislodge the infantry. An infantry division is deployed to block the armored division and additional units are rushed to the area. This incursion needs to be stopped before the defensive line is totally compromised.

Examination of the supply available shows no decrease in volume. Great Blue is probably operating using false intelligence reports.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 22
T8 Great Blue (May 20th, 1950) - 12/27/2020 2:32:26 PM   
rhinobones

T8 Great Blue (May 20th, 1950)

For the most part Great Blue redeploys units in Brown County and the Yellow Steppes/White Sector for the defense. No counter attacks or offensive actions are taken.

In the south along the Greenland/Black Zone Great Blue is very aggressive in attempting to breach Big Red’s defenses. The envelopment of a defending infantry division is completed, and two assaults are mounted against it. The infantry unit is able to repulse the attack, however, it suffers heavy casualties and is left unsupplied.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 23
T8 Big Red - 12/27/2020 2:34:00 PM   
rhinobones

T8 Big Red

Big Red tries to put the hurt on Great Blue’s fighter corps and conducts an airfield attack where three Great Blue fighter units are stationed. Results are 300 Great Blue fighters against 200 Big Red fighters and 200 tactical bombers. One of the three Great Blue fighter units was destroyed. In my estimation Big Red came out a little bit ahead.

Also pulled an air strike against a stack of embarked units. Great Blue losses were noticeably light. I had expected better results.

Final air-to-ground attack was against a R/R Construction Battalion. Took out quite a few intercepting fighters but did little damage to the R/R Battalion.

There was land action from north to south.

At the Yellow Steppes/White Sector front Great Blue units heading toward Brown County were engaged by the Big Red blocking force. The were some light skirmishes as Big Red units moved into better positions for attack.

In the center Big Red conducted another encirclement. The Great Blue infantry division enveloped was not completely destroyed but has been reduced to less than regimental strength. Unless there are strong Great Blue forces hidden behind the lines, I doubt that a rescue mission is possible.

In the Greenland/Black Zone sector the Great Blue units which penetrated Big Red defenses were enveloped, attacked and driven into a small pocket. The heavy armored division has been completely destroyed and the infantry division reduced to two depleted regiments.

A note on the Big Red supply situation. All three fronts are being supplied through railroad systems which are fully operational. There have been some bridges blown but engineers are on the scene making quick repairs. Enemy interdiction is having minimal impact on total supply.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 24
T9 Great Blue (May 27th, 1950) - 12/30/2020 1:26:38 PM   
rhinobones

T9 Great Blue (May 27th, 1950)

In the center (Brownville) and south (Greenland/Black Zone) Great Blue moves in fresh reserves and counter attacks aggressively. On both fronts Great Blue pushes back Big Red and open an escape path for encircled units. Big Red casualties are fairly heavy and armored units are disorganized. In the south Great Blue is able to make a second penetration of Big Red’s defense.

In the north, along the White Sector line, Great Blue repositions a few units and digs-in. Other than trying to pressure the northern edge of Brown County these troops are doing little. As a result of their deployment there is now a solid line of combatants running north to south.

Great Blue also conducts a few bridge attacks and is able to drop one bridge feeding supply into Brown County. Since Big Red already owns the supply depot in Brown County, this attack has little impact on supply.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 25
T9 Big Red - 12/30/2020 1:28:37 PM   
rhinobones

T9 Big Red

Big Red starts with an all-out airfield attack. Both sides sustain heavy aircraft losses, but Big Red’s losses are larger. Attack results in about half of the Big Red tactical air fleet going into reorganization and half of the fighter units being placed on Rest.

In the north and center the focus is to deploy for the defense with options for offensive actions in the following weeks. A number of units are low on supply and have been static to permit maximum resupply and troop replacement.

Along the Greenland/Black Zone line the remnants of a Great Blue infantry division are killed and the advanced armored division surrounded. Big Red attempts to eliminate the armored division but it holds its ground. Unfortunately, before a follow-on assault is mounted, the battle ends due to failed proficiency which leaves Big Red’s blocking units in poor position to defend counter attacks. Destruction of the armored division will have to wait until next week.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 26
T10 Great Blue - 1/2/2021 4:39:25 PM   
rhinobones

Note (Internal Game Clock)

The PBM Turn 10 file provided by Great Blue (Curt) was correctly labeled by the game engine as Turn 10. However, the in-game turn label is “Turn 9 May 27th, 1950”, same as the Turn 9 in-game label. We will continue the game to see what impact, if any, this anomalous labeling has on the game.

T10 Great Blue (May 27th, 1950)

Great Blue opens the turn with a series of bridge attacks. One is successful and two fail. Big Red engineers seem to be in a constant state of bridge repair.

In the north along the Yellow Steppes/White Sector line Great Blue seems to be content with entrenching. No offensive action is detected.

On the Brown County front Great Blue apparently has brought in fresh reserves for conducting an aggressive counterattack. Big Red units are pushed back with greater losses than Great Blue. Two armored units broken into regiments with one of the regiments eliminated. The line holds and some units in Great Blue’s stop line appear to be completely exhausted.

Another brutal counterattack is launched in the south. Great Blue opens an escape route for its encircled armored unit and is also able to envelope one of Big Red’s armored divisions. Casualties are heavy and some units are disorganized. Big Red’s armored division is in jeopardy of being entirely destroyed.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 27
T10 Big Red - 1/2/2021 4:40:56 PM   
rhinobones

T10 Big Red

Big Red is making a change to the overall strategy which is designed to capitalize on the extent that Great Blue has advanced beyond most of their supply line. The strategy will be to make multiple probing attacks at the “Limited Loss” setting. It is expected that Big Red will be able to rapidly resupply while Great Blue units will be starved. The success of this tactic should be apparent as Great Blue unit attack/defense values fail to recover. At some point Big Red should be able to make breakthroughs and envelope enemy forces in quantity. The strategy depends on Great Blue units remaining at the far end of the supply chain and destruction of railroad bridges wherever possible.

In the north Big Red makes a series of low intensity attacks which drive Great Blue forces back and break up multiple units.

In the Brown County center Big Red makes several counter attacks to straighten out the line, attrit enemy forces and force units into reorganization status. These attacks are successful. However, Great Blue still has a force able to threaten Big Red defenses. One stack contains 3 infantry and 2 armored divisions, another contains 4 mechanized and 1 armored division. Big Red’s defensive lines have been reinforced in anticipation that Great Blue will use these units in the counterattack.

The same style of “Limited Loss” attacks are made in an effort to extract the trapped armored division. Attacks are more successful than anticipated and the isolated armored division is able to withdraw into Big Red territory. The division is extremely depleted and will need multiple weeks of refitting and replacement training.

Overall Great Blue land force losses are greater than Big Red. Multiple units are observed to be disorganized with attack/defense values down 50 to 75%.

Also, Great Blue seems to have put most of the fighter units on rest status. Tactical aircraft attempted to provide air-to-ground support but were usually intercepted and driven back by Big Red combat air patrols. The air briefing reports 94 friendly and 354 enemy aircraft destroyed in the past week.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 28
T11 Great Blue - 1/5/2021 2:23:30 PM   
rhinobones

Note (Internal Game Clock)

The internal Game clock has now advanced to Turn 10. This is one turn behind the actual game turn, but other than a one turn delay in reinforcements, it doesn’t seem to have influenced game play.

T11 Great Blue (June 3rd, 1950)

Great Blue starts with the usual emphasis on bridge attacks. A total of six attacks are made against two targets which succeed in bringing down both bridges. Big Red engineers are available to make repairs and the impact on supply distribution is minimal. Aircraft losses are about equal.

Reinforcements are detected moving from Great Blue homeland toward Brown County. Impossible to tell whether these are reserve units or reconstituted regiments. Air units are also seen redeploying. Possibly some units are receiving some R and R.

Along the Yellow Steppes/White Sector Great Blue reinforces and redeploys a few units in the defense. Otherwise, the front is quiet. The same is true in Greenland.

Great Blue’s main effort is in Brown County. Two airborne are dropped behind Big Red’s front and block the supply line. Armor and infantry supported by air and artillery push into Big Red’s line and drive a wedge toward the paratroopers. However, their assault is stopped 50 kilometers short of their goal, failing to relieve the airborne.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 29
T11 Big Red - 1/5/2021 2:25:05 PM   
rhinobones

T11 Big Red

North and south Big Red conducts multiple attrition attacks. The strategy is primarily intended to force Great Blue units to use up their available supply. Those forces, especially those in the Yellow Steppes, are at the end of their supply line and are not expected to resupply as quickly as the Big Red formations.

Big Red concentrates on eradicating the paratrooper threat in Brown County. Support troops are moved into blocking positions while reserves are scraped up to envelope and attack the intruders. After several rounds of combat most of the enemy units are destroyed and the lone remaining regiment is encircled.

In concert with the destruction of the paratroopers, counter attacks are mounted against the relieving force. This effort is successful in driving the Great Blue spear head back to their start line. Casualties are fairly heavy and at least one Great Blue division is sent into reorganization.

While this is happening, engineering units move onto the damaged bridges and initiate repairs. The only units with organic air defense capability are the regular divisions and they are now posted on the critical bridges. The enemy will still be able to destroy bridges, however the high-altitude AA fire should make it more difficult and cost the enemy a few more aircraft.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Blitzkrieg 1950 (Curt vs RB) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI