Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Human opponents vs. AI opponents

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Human opponents vs. AI opponents Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 3:45:58 AM   
mroyer

Let me tell 'ya...

This game ain't 10x better playing against human opponents, it's 100x better (possibly 1000x).
Vic/developers, let have even more than four human players allowed in future versions!!!

-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 10/22/2020 3:46:44 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 5:54:46 AM   
Clux

I agree, the biggest issue its sharing the saves and having similar time zones/play times, but besides that, I really see games up to 8 players.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 2
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 8:52:38 AM   
GazBot

Yes its scarily close to real world Geo-politics with human players involved.....the fact you can have a realistic world with such depth is pretty amazing - I haven't seen any other game like it.

< Message edited by GazBot -- 10/22/2020 8:53:14 AM >

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 3
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 10:46:30 AM   
ASHBERY76

No put the work into what 99% play.

(in reply to GazBot)
Post #: 4
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 10:52:45 AM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I have not seen any data on the % of players who are playing 'mp'.
But I can say it is more...fun.
I will add, I doubt allowing more than 4 players to compete in a single game would hinder the development of it.

Of course...I could be wrong about that.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 11:19:03 AM   
mroyer

quote:

I will add, I doubt allowing more than 4 players to compete in a single game would hinder the development of it.
Of course...I could be wrong about that.

You may be right about simply adding players, Ed, but the procedural reality is that with more players there would probably be a need for a better turn-management/server system, and that might take significant development time. 8+ players would be really super-cool until one realizes, with the current structure of the game, it would require bouncing e-mails around an 8+ player ring. Unless everyone is all in (like our current game) it could take years to finish a game even if a single player drags along...

quote:

It's always amazed me that so many people play solely vs. AI. I can't get more than a handful of turns into a game before I lose interest. I use AI purely for learning the game. And it's not just complex wargames either - even in chess if I believe the opponent on the other end of the wire is AI, I will lose focus in the game. And that of course is purely psychological, because there's no way for me to really know whether I'm playing a human or a computer in online chess. Maybe it's my generation? When I grew up wargaming there was no AI.

-Mark R.

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 6
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 2:37:55 PM   
Nachtjager

My personal experience has been losing steam before 100 turns every time I start a single-player match. It's still fun, but not quite the same challenge as playing a tightly designed and scripted scenario like the excellent Decisive Campaign games.

If I was playing only single player I probably wouldn't have touched this in weeks, but instead I've had a multiplayer match going since June that's up to 140 turns. This game is incredibly good when played against a human.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 7
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 3:34:01 PM   
nukkxx5058

Haven't tried yet in pbem but I love what I'm reading here !!

(in reply to Nachtjager)
Post #: 8
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/22/2020 6:20:30 PM   
eheiser

Wow, Nachtjager, 140 turns. We are at 95. Tell us, rockets or missiles? Walkers or Tanks? I've never gone this deep into the tech tree before.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 9
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/23/2020 10:33:50 AM   
Saros

He's running an AAR of it if it's the one I think it is, check the AAR forum.

(in reply to eheiser)
Post #: 10
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/23/2020 2:06:56 PM   
Nachtjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: eheiser
Wow, Nachtjager, 140 turns. We are at 95. Tell us, rockets or missiles? Walkers or Tanks? I've never gone this deep into the tech tree before.

I am indeed planning on doing a writeup for these forums once the game wraps up, but I'm also currently running a one post at a time AAR on the Something Awful forums: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934505

Rockets and missiles were banned by a peace treaty I had to sign after losing a war against one of the other players, they were just too good at wrecking assets. The second major player war just kicked off and it'll be the first time we're using walkers on each other. Generally what I've seen is that almost every brigade (I'm up to 22-23 brigades) has walkers attached at this point, but tanks remain a mainstay because they have their own OHQ formations.

For both my opponent and myself it's the first time this deep too, so it's been a learning experience the whole way.

(in reply to eheiser)
Post #: 11
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/23/2020 3:22:38 PM   
mroyer

quote:

it's been a learning experience the whole way.

Interesting stuff.
I'm definitely finding the deeper we go the more engaging the game becomes!

Our foursome is myself, GazBot, eddieballgame and eheiser and we're getting very close to 100 rounds. We've been playing at a clip of one round per day.

-Mark R.

(in reply to Nachtjager)
Post #: 12
RE: Human opponents vs. AI opponents - 10/23/2020 7:58:36 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

quote:

it's been a learning experience the whole way.

Interesting stuff.
I'm definitely finding the deeper we go the more engaging the game becomes!

Our foursome is myself, GazBot, eddieballgame and eheiser and we're getting very close to 100 rounds. We've been playing at a clip of one round per day.

-Mark R.

Per our 'pbem' game, I wish there was a mechanic in place for alliances between humans that allow for entering allied territory peacefully.

< Message edited by eddieballgame -- 10/25/2020 10:06:47 PM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Human opponents vs. AI opponents Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI