Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Age of Rifles Remake?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Age of Rifles Remake? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Age of Rifles Remake? - 5/26/2000 2:36:00 AM   
Antonescu

Are there any plans to remake Age of Rifles? How does one get the program to run under Win98 SE? Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/17/2021 9:56:26 PM   
Artaud

Man oh man I would love to see a remake of Age of Rifles.

(in reply to Antonescu)
Post #: 2
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/18/2021 3:46:58 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antonescu

Are there any plans to remake Age of Rifles?

How does one get the program to run under Win98 SE? Thanks

DOSBox
https://www.dosbox.com/

If you have the game on floppy disk, you'll need a floppy disk drive for it. External 3.5" drives with USB plug are still made & available.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Antonescu)
Post #: 3
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/18/2021 3:51:28 PM   
HudsonGame

I too would love to see Norm's game remade. It was a wonderful game. I helped playtest the original.

< Message edited by HudsonGame -- 4/18/2021 3:52:03 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 4
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/19/2021 8:48:53 PM   
Greybriar

I, too, spent many enjoyable hours playing Age of Rifles.

It may be of interest for some of us to visit Norm Koger's Wargame Construction Set III: Age of Rifles webpage.

If anyone is interested in playing Age of Rifles, they might want to add their vote for it to be added to the GOG Community Wishlist. I think it would be great to be able to play Age of Rifles on my Windows 10 PC.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to HudsonGame)
Post #: 5
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/19/2021 10:36:11 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I, too, spent many enjoyable hours playing Age of Rifles.

It may be of interest for some of us to visit Norm Koger's Wargame Construction Set III: Age of Rifles webpage.

If anyone is interested in playing Age of Rifles, they might want to add their vote for it to be added to the GOG Community Wishlist. I think it would be great to be able to play Age of Rifles on my Windows 10 PC.

I remember perfectly Norm Koger giving his permission to download an abandonware copy of the game, way back in the day. I don't know, however, how his word was worth compared to the rights owners.

Where has NK gone, BTW? After the whole Distant Guns/Jutland/Storm Eagle Studios fiasco he just dropped off the face of the Earth

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 6
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/19/2021 11:06:57 PM   
HudsonGame

quote:

I remember perfectly Norm Koger giving his permission to download an abandonware copy of the game, way back in the day. I don't know, however, how his word was worth compared to the rights owners.

Where has NK gone, BTW? After the whole Distant Guns/Jutland/Storm Eagle Studios fiasco he just dropped off the face of the Earth

I have written Norm a couple of times in the last few years and he never responded. I guess you are correct about him dropping off the face of the earth. That business with Storm Eagle must have been truly rough. In my opinion, he was the best software wargame designer ever.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 7
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/20/2021 11:01:41 AM   
Artaud

Years ago I fiddled around with dosbox trying to run old games. Too much trouble. Too many hoops to jump through. Maybe if I was 30 years younger, but now...I'm just too old and too mentally tired to spend a lot of effort just to get an old game to work. I want to just double click on an icon and play.

The same with large scenarios in wargames that I am able to play. I just don't have the time or energy. Give me short scenarios and small maps.

I am literally counting down the days until I can retire.

< Message edited by Artaud -- 4/20/2021 11:05:19 AM >

(in reply to HudsonGame)
Post #: 8
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/20/2021 12:53:02 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artaud

Years ago I fiddled around with dosbox trying to run old games. Too much trouble. Too many hoops to jump through. Maybe if I was 30 years younger, but now...I'm just too old and too mentally tired to spend a lot of effort just to get an old game to work. I want to just double click on an icon and play.

The same with large scenarios in wargames that I am able to play. I just don't have the time or energy. Give me short scenarios and small maps.

It seems that you lack a frontend. Just download D-Fend Reloaded (which already includes DOSBox):

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

...And running a DOS game will take, literally, five minutes. I have "Great Naval Battles: North Atlantic" and "Tigers on the Prowl II" loaded in it, and I'm happily playing without problems.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Artaud)
Post #: 9
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/20/2021 1:37:10 PM   
Alan Sharif

I have never tried this, so I cannot confirm it's legit, but perhaps someone else here can?

https://www.allvideoclassicgames.com/products/age-of-rifles-wargame-construction-set-3-1clk-windows-10-8-7-vista-xp-install

A Sharif

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 10
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/20/2021 2:47:37 PM   
sol_invictus

I love AOR and would be all over a remake of the game. Last time I was able to play it was about ten years ago. It really deserves a full remake and not just a remaster.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 11
RE: Age of Rifles Remake? - 4/22/2021 11:14:18 AM   
Artaud

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artaud

It seems that you lack a frontend. Just download D-Fend Reloaded (which already includes DOSBox):

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

...And running a DOS game will take, literally, five minutes. I have "Great Naval Battles: North Atlantic" and "Tigers on the Prowl II" loaded in it, and I'm happily playing without problems.

Thanks, but with my luck, five minutes would become ten, and then twenty... Words can't express my frustration back in the day trying to get DOS games to run in windows. I'm reluctant to even think about going down that road again. I kept my Age of Rifles CD for years and years, but I threw it away, along with a number of other back-in-the-day games, at least a year ago.

Now, in less than 1 minute, I can launch and begin playing "Republican Bayonets on the Rhine," which I bought from JTS last week.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Age of Rifles Remake? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI