Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Motorized units with no ferry cap. crossing blown bridge?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Motorized units with no ferry cap. crossing blown bridge? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Motorized units with no ferry cap. crossing blown b... - 10/17/2020 6:44:45 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

Given the hoops one has to jump through to make these cases "work" in TOAW, I don't think the learning curve of a new game would be a problem.

Those "hoops" are no more than what you had to jump through to make that paper wargame work.

quote:

No- I would suggest expansion that compliments the existing abilities. Or is volume based supply a dirty word?

You're talking about overseas supply, basically. Plenty would argue that that expansion is beyond TOAW's existing abilities - and they would be right ("ground warfare not amphibious warfare!"). But I'm not going to constrain TOAW to its "existing abilities". Note that we've already made some enhancements to naval warfare - essential to such supply - but many more abilities must be added to make it function. I'll just say that I can't discuss what is in development.

But, seeing as how you are a member of the Development Team, and therefore have been made privy to the Development Plan, that was a very strange complaint.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 31
RE: Motorized units with no ferry cap. crossing blown b... - 10/18/2020 10:51:26 AM   
Rescue193

I honestly hadn't come across the the term "volume based supply" before, so thanks for the explanation. I do appreciate it.

Post #: 32
RE: Motorized units with no ferry cap. crossing blown b... - 10/18/2020 5:21:25 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Given the hoops one has to jump through to make these cases "work" in TOAW, I don't think the learning curve of a new game would be a problem.

Those "hoops" are no more than what you had to jump through to make that paper wargame work.

I'm not making a paper wargame, though. If I were, why not get one of those engines which lets you move tiles around however you want and it's up to you to apply the rules?

quote:

You're talking about overseas supply, basically.

No, I'm talking about multiple scenarios. Did you read my follow up post?

quote:

But, seeing as how you are a member of the Development Team, and therefore have been made privy to the Development Plan, that was a very strange complaint.

You're assuming I've read the dev forum in the last five years...

... alright, I looked. Anyway, one can always hope for increased priority.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/18/2020 5:37:59 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 33
RE: Motorized units with no ferry cap. crossing blown b... - 10/18/2020 10:58:24 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

You're talking about overseas supply, basically.

No, I'm talking about multiple scenarios. Did you read my follow up post?

Why would we make discrete supply handling without the ability to include overseas supply? That would be the principle application. It has to cover that. And that means all sort of complications that have to be sorted out first.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 34
RE: Motorized units with no ferry cap. crossing blown b... - 10/19/2020 9:48:04 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

Why would we make discrete supply handling without the ability to include overseas supply? That would be the principle application. It has to cover that. And that means all sort of complications that have to be sorted out first.

I'd say it's the most obvious application but not the principle one. For me, volume based supply would come in whenever a player wants to make a big offensive: they'll need to start stockpiling supply first since the logistical net can't bring supplies forward fast enough once things are in high gear.

It's not relevant for short campaigns which I admit are TOAW's sweet spot- but take a quick look at the AARs forum. Every second post is either D21 or FitE. These scenarios would be hugely enhanced by the ability to build up supplies prior to an offensive.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Motorized units with no ferry cap. crossing blown bridge? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI