Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Display dice rolls/RNG

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Display dice rolls/RNG Page: [1]
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Display dice rolls/RNG - 10/11/2020 4:37:27 PM   


Posts: 62
Joined: 3/2/2018
Status: offline
This is very much not a priority, but something that's bugged me in a few very egregious examples lately. Whenever I have a unit die when it seems like it shouldn't, I like to check the detailed log. There I get to witness the glory of a 50 adjusted attack beating a 20,000 adjusted defense after getting past a mobile shield.

To be clear, I don't mind that this happens, I just wish I could see even further under the hood to understand why this happens. Both times I've lost heavily armoured tanks to regular infantry in this game they've had GR unit feats so currently my leading theory is that those feats are simply cursed by the ghosts of the old republic.

Post #: 1
RE: Display dice rolls/RNG - 10/17/2020 6:37:28 AM   


Posts: 46
Joined: 5/5/2019
Status: offline
First, totally agree it would be great to see attack rolls.

Second, this is most likely due to the way probabilities are capped:

- the best chance of a hit is 75%, which occurs when attack*2 >= HP
- the worst chance of a hit is 25%, which occurs when Attack/2 <= HP

This is somewhere in the manual I believe.

So technically, every time a unit is attacked, there's always at least a 25% chance (!) of it taking a hit (which might mean a kill, or retreat, or pinned I believe?), no matter how ridiculous the disparity is between it's HP and the enemy's attack score. It also means you won't get a higher hit rate than 75% (in the converse case).

So if that unit that got taken out had only had a defensive score of 110, the chance of it dying would have been identical to what it had at 20000+. Which also means that all those extra unit feats, skills etc. you're getting don't contribute anything whatsoever to that particular unit. Unless I've completely misread something somewhere...

On top of that there are other factors such as "max attacked" which of course don't help (the tougher units are usually much larger therefore can be attacked more)...

< Message edited by TheSquid -- 10/17/2020 6:45:14 AM >

(in reply to Nachtjager)
Post #: 2
RE: Display dice rolls/RNG - 10/17/2020 8:19:49 AM   


Posts: 414
Joined: 6/7/2020
Status: offline
No, I highly doubt that is correct. The relevant manual section (5.10.15.) says, "If [attack and hitpoints] are equal, there is a 50% chance of a hit. If the attacker has twice the points, there is 75% chance of a hit; if the defender has twice the score, there is a 25% chance of a hit, and so on". That's just an example of the way the hit probability is proportional to attack and hitpoints, not a description of a hard limit.

(in reply to TheSquid)
Post #: 3
RE: Display dice rolls/RNG - 11/26/2020 9:43:36 PM   


Posts: 475
Joined: 6/8/2020
Status: offline
I also wanted to make a thread about this.

I would have loved to see what kind of die roll the slaver rifleman got against my APC in this old game:

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Display dice rolls/RNG Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI