Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TF Moves- speed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> TF Moves- speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TF Moves- speed - 10/9/2020 10:56:05 AM   
LGKMAS

I might have just had another senior moment. One of many I'm afraid.
I have always looked at TF moves and wondered what the numbers represent. Moves (m/c) 9/4 for example. I always wondered what they meant and thought it might be moves per cycle or something like that. I have looked at the manual but not found anything that explained these mystical symbols. That part of the TF screen is not covered. Everything else seems to be well covered, at least to me.
After many forays into the Forum search engine and finding many interesting but not relevant rabbit holes to disappear down, I think I have solved the mystery. One of the rabbit holes, explaining range, not moves, talked about mission speed and cruise speed.
Is that what m/c means? Mission speed as opposed to cruise speed. So a M/C of 9/4 means mission speed is 9 hexes and cruise speed is 4 hexes?
Post #: 1
RE: TF Moves- speed - 10/9/2020 11:31:09 AM   
RangerJoe

Full speed and cruise speed.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 2
RE: TF Moves- speed - 10/10/2020 4:53:18 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: LGKMAS

I might have just had another senior moment. One of many I'm afraid.
I have always looked at TF moves and wondered what the numbers represent. Moves (m/c) 9/4 for example. I always wondered what they meant and thought it might be moves per cycle or something like that. I have looked at the manual but not found anything that explained these mystical symbols. That part of the TF screen is not covered. Everything else seems to be well covered, at least to me.
After many forays into the Forum search engine and finding many interesting but not relevant rabbit holes to disappear down, I think I have solved the mystery. One of the rabbit holes, explaining range, not moves, talked about mission speed and cruise speed.
Is that what m/c means? Mission speed as opposed to cruise speed. So a M/C of 9/4 means mission speed is 9 hexes and cruise speed is 4 hexes?

The manual does specifically explain this.

Using the Matrix search function on the AE forum, with the keyword "speedP and author "Alfred" returns 5 matches. The 2015 entry is the best one and directly on point. That match is this thread.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3911830&mpage=1&key=speed�

Alfred

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 3
RE: TF Moves- speed - 11/17/2020 10:25:20 AM   
LGKMAS

I find it interesting that there are three speeds listed, full speed, mission speed and cruise speed. yet the only two speeds listed in that spot of the TF display are Full speed
as you state, and Cruise speed. But instead of listing them as f/c, they are listed as m/c? I understand that Mission speed is often the same for that TF as Cruise speed. But in the TF display, Full speed is apparently equated as maximum speed? So where is full speed stated as the same as maximum speed in the manual? Some possibility for confusion there, don't you think?
However, I have taken your views on board and am working with them. Thanks for the advice! It has made a few things clearer and enabled me to do some vital calculations about when and where TFs can do things. I really didn't want that Air Tpt TF to run out of fuel in the middle of the Pacific.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: TF Moves- speed - 11/17/2020 4:22:43 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LGKMAS

I find it interesting that there are three speeds listed, full speed, mission speed and cruise speed. yet the only two speeds listed in that spot of the TF display are Full speed
as you state, and Cruise speed. But instead of listing them as f/c, they are listed as m/c? I understand that Mission speed is often the same for that TF as Cruise speed. But in the TF display, Full speed is apparently equated as maximum speed? So where is full speed stated as the same as maximum speed in the manual? Some possibility for confusion there, don't you think?
However, I have taken your views on board and am working with them. Thanks for the advice! It has made a few things clearer and enabled me to do some vital calculations about when and where TFs can do things. I really didn't want that Air Tpt TF to run out of fuel in the middle of the Pacific.

I think the m stands for maximum.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> TF Moves- speed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI