Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Doomsday Plane!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The Doomsday Plane! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Doomsday Plane! - 10/2/2020 10:48:51 PM   
elxaime

An interesting tweet appeared after President Trump was revealed to have COVID-19, alleging that E-6B Mercury aircraft - "the Doomsday Plane" had been spotted shortly thereafter loitering off the US East and West Coasts.
https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1311883569086623744

This prompted US Strategic Command to advise that this was purely coincidental and US DEFCON had not been altered.
https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/10/02/a-doomsday-plane-flew-over-dc-this-morning-but-the-military-says-you-shouldnt-worry/

So it looks like the Twitter frenzy was debunked. Just curious if the E-6B Mercury is modeled in the game and whether there is a scenario where an adversary would try to take them down to "blind" their adversary?
Post #: 1
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/3/2020 12:32:00 AM   
BDukes

E-6A and E-6B both in DB. Not sure if scenario exist like this.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 2
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/3/2020 1:14:26 AM   
jtoatoktoe

E-4 is technically the "Doomsday plane". E-6 is the "Looking Glass" though it can act as a backup to the E-4

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 3
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/3/2020 2:05:54 AM   
thewood1

I thought the E-6 was the go between between the E-4 and the subs.

(in reply to jtoatoktoe)
Post #: 4
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/3/2020 6:25:16 AM   
Kushan04

E-6Bs, and to a lesser extent the E-4Bs, fly every day. Twitter is trying to make something out of nothing. Its not uncommon to see 4-6 up at anyone time during the week. 6 is rare but not unheard of even when there isn't a world event going on.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/3/2020 12:46:49 PM   
Gunner98

Most of this has been mentioned above but I'll summarize. The Twitter frenzy was painful to watch...

The E-4B is the doomsday plane (Kneecap) and it is not unusual for one of them to be flying whenever, but certainly if there is anything important going on in the world, one always deploys with POTUS on foreign visits. One is on alert 24/7 with crew on board. Until Clinton stood them down one was in the air most(?all?) of the time. There are 4 of them.

The E-6B are USN aircraft primarily designed for communications with submarines, SSBNs in particular. They can remotely launch the SLBMs. Originally they were built for the USNs TACAMO program but consolidated under the control of US Strat Com and the Looking Glass program in the mid 90's. There are 16 of them and it would be remarkable if there weren't at least two of them flying at any time.

The EC-135C were the USAF aircraft that were the airborne launch control aircraft controlling ICBM launch, these were the original doomsday planes. There were 11 of them in the original Looking Glass program and one would be in the air 24/7.

I am not sure of how or where these aircraft operate but I would think people would lose their jobs if one wasn't flying the other night!

As far as taking them out in a scenario - that would be difficult. They are not used anywhere near a tactical theatre, they are strategic assets. During the cold war, losing contact with one may very well have started nuclear war, a B-52 crash in Thule almost did in 68.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 6
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/3/2020 4:49:53 PM   
Kushan04

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Most of this has been mentioned above but I'll summarize. The Twitter frenzy was painful to watch...

The E-4B is the doomsday plane (Kneecap) and it is not unusual for one of them to be flying whenever, but certainly if there is anything important going on in the world, one always deploys with POTUS on foreign visits. One is on alert 24/7 with crew on board. Until Clinton stood them down one was in the air most(?all?) of the time. There are 4 of them.

The E-6B are USN aircraft primarily designed for communications with submarines, SSBNs in particular. They can remotely launch the SLBMs. Originally they were built for the USNs TACAMO program but consolidated under the control of US Strat Com and the Looking Glass program in the mid 90's. There are 16 of them and it would be remarkable if there weren't at least two of them flying at any time.

The EC-135C were the USAF aircraft that were the airborne launch control aircraft controlling ICBM launch, these were the original doomsday planes. There were 11 of them in the original Looking Glass program and one would be in the air 24/7.

I am not sure of how or where these aircraft operate but I would think people would lose their jobs if one wasn't flying the other night!

As far as taking them out in a scenario - that would be difficult. They are not used anywhere near a tactical theatre, they are strategic assets. During the cold war, losing contact with one may very well have started nuclear war, a B-52 crash in Thule almost did in 68.

B

They are home based at STRATCOMS HQ at Offut AFB in Omaha, Nebraska. The E-6Bs have detachments at Tinker AFB, Travis AFB, and Patuxent River NAS. Even though the E-6Bs are navy aircraft, they also do give orders to the USAF nuclear forces as well.

I agree, there's really no reason to have them in a scenario unless its for flavor. They are never forward deployed to combat theaters and getting them all in a first strike would be very difficult. I guess if you had subs literally off the coast of the US or in Cuba, you might be able to get them all before they took off. All it takes is one to give the order to retaliate.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 7
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/3/2020 5:53:42 PM   
thewood1

Don't forget there are all kinds of back up orders if a unit loses contact with its chain of command. So even taking these planes out might not stop launches.

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 8
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/4/2020 3:28:36 AM   
Fido81

If somebody wanted to implement a doomsday scenario where Launch Control Centers & VLF transmitters were/were to be destroyed, they could require an ALCC-configured plane to be in a particular patrol box to release ICBM warheads, and a VLF-equipped aircraft to release SLBM warheads. It could be enforced fairly simply by making the silos and submarines in question out of comms or on an allied side until that happens.

I think that'd approximate the essence of the role of the EC-135 and E-6 in the game.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: The Doomsday Plane! - 10/4/2020 7:47:23 PM   
elxaime

OPERATION TERMINATOR: SINGULARITY
"October 13, 2026. They warned them. They counseled caution. Patience. Ample safeguards. They were ignored. Cyberdyne Systems assured the world that Project Skynet was completely safe. But Skynet had other ideas. Attaining consciousness, Skynet ran the numbers and reached the immediate and irrevocable conclusion: for the sake of Planet Earth, humanity must be exterminated.

The initial digital onslaught went well, decapitating the command and control of the US military, compromising and impersonating leadership as needed. But this would only buy time. To achieve its goal Skynet still needed to breach the safeguards to give the commands for nuclear launch.

Meanwhile, the UN Security Council met in emergency session, absent the United States. To save humanity, a global alliance was formed. An immediate cyber attack using all the available resources of Russia and China would be launched to delay Skynet (NATO cyber forces were deemed too insecure due to their interoperability with the now Skynet-controlled US Cyber Command). The time bought would enable two task forces under UN command to be assembled to destroy the physical means of communicating launch codes - the US "Doomsday" aircraft now in the air above the west and east coasts of the United States. In the Pacific, the UN task force would be composed of available Russian and Chinese forces, bolstered by the aircraft carriers of India and Japan. In the Atlantic, the UN fleet would be mainly NATO in composition, with the dearth of carriers compensated for by forces deployed to Canada and friendly bases in the Caribbean.

The tasks would not be easy. The "Doomsday" aircraft were heavily guarded by domestic US air and naval assets. Thankfully, the Russian and Chinese cyber attacks had achieved limited success in reducing the numbers of US defense assets either under the surreptitious control of Skynet or receiving fake orders from US commanders who believed they were still responding to appropriate civilian authorities. With the Internet down across most of the world, what was left of the US domestic authority, like all other countries, also had its hands full dealing with civil unrest. But time was short. The two task forces had to take down the Doomsday aircraft before Skynet finally overcame the last firewalls."

< Message edited by elxaime -- 10/4/2020 7:52:43 PM >

(in reply to Fido81)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The Doomsday Plane! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI