Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

R&D problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> R&D problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
R&D problem - 10/2/2020 8:04:32 AM   
Chris21wen

Search but can't find.

It's 22 Jun 41 and the Emily is on 99 research due 7/42 and should be available next turn and is. The problem is I don't want it to go into production, hence the NO under Prod but I do want it to upgrade to the H8K2 but prever to do it manually, so Ugrd is also NO. The problem is it goes into production and when it does the it's no longer blue. The NO under Prod should stop this or am I missing something.

I've tried all combination of switches and it always goes into production and the only way I can prevent it is to reload the turn, change it too the H8K2 before the turn is run.

I know this was a problem but can't find what the fix is or even if it has been fixed.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 8:59:55 AM   
jdsrae

Not sure I get what the problem is, but I have had a few Asahis!
If you don’t want to produce the Emily-1 anyway, why not just upgrade to Emily-2 and play on?

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 9:43:24 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Not sure I get what the problem is, but I have had a few Asahis!
If you don’t want to produce the Emily-1 anyway, why not just upgrade to Emily-2 and play on?

Yes I can and did.

The problem is it's going into production with the NO production set. It shouldn't do that unless I've missed the point or the Prod switch.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 3
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 9:55:57 AM   
PaxMondo

Production switch only dictates whether it will produce or not, doesn't have anything to do with whether it converts from RnD to production factory.

If you want it to continue to be a RnD factory then you MUST assign it a new target, it will NOT automatically choose one; instead it will convert to a production factory.

Hopefully this clarifies things for you ...

Pax

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 4
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 10:06:34 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Production switch only dictates whether it will produce or not, doesn't have anything to do with whether it converts from RnD to production factory.

If you want it to continue to be a RnD factory then you MUST assign it a new target, it will NOT automatically choose one; instead it will convert to a production factory.

Hopefully this clarifies things for you ...

I was missing something. Thanks.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 5
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 4:13:24 PM   
Q-Ball

Why not produce the H8K1 though? H8K2 has a radar, but other than that they are pretty much identical. And the K1 is available now, and it's an upgrade over H6K.

Am I missing something?

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 6
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 5:06:51 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
Am I missing something?

Speed, climb, guns upgrades

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 5:20:55 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Why not produce the H8K1 though? H8K2 has a radar, but other than that they are pretty much identical. And the K1 is available now, and it's an upgrade over H6K.

Am I missing something?

Also 2 has higher speed and more defensive weapons - I am not sure tho if these count much in air2air if on patrol and running into cap. Also I think somehow they will not behave as bombers if on bombing runs when it comes to defense

When it comes to research one must keep a close eye on the factories it can happen they accidently go to production if you want to keep them researching the next model in upgrade chain..

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 10/2/2020 5:43:13 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 8
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 6:32:01 PM   
geofflambert

If you want to research something else with that factory you don't have to wait for the available for production date to change it. If you forget, you've got all of the first month to change it, assuming you set production to "no" in the first place.

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 8/21 it is 8/45.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 9
RE: R&D problem - 10/2/2020 7:27:57 PM   
rustysi

quote:

True, but you'll need the production switch set to 'no' to give you the one day 'grace' to change it back to R&D. IOW when the A/C reaches its production date, it will do so, but on that day you can go into the A/C production portion of the 'industry' tab and change it back to R&D.

Now if you've selected the 'unrealistic' R&D (or whatever its called) setting in the pregame preferences you can do this at any time, but most players tend to shy away from this setting.

Also if you are playing two (or more) days per game turn, this will throw a 'monkey wrench' into the works.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 10
RE: R&D problem - 10/3/2020 6:58:09 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

True, but you'll need the production switch set to 'no' to give you the one day 'grace' to change it back to R&D. IOW when the A/C reaches its production date, it will do so, but on that day you can go into the A/C production portion of the 'industry' tab and change it back to R&D.

As you can see in the pict in was set to NO but when it went into production next turn it went black immediately. No one turn grace here.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: R&D problem - 10/3/2020 7:02:36 AM   
RangerJoe

I see no problem.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 12
RE: R&D problem - 10/4/2020 2:10:55 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

quote:

As you can see in the pict in was set to NO but when it went into production next turn it went black immediately. No one turn grace here.

As far as I can see the Emily name is in blue, if you were to click on the name and look at the choices that pop up you'll see you can go back to an R&D model. That's how the 'one day grace' works.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 13
RE: R&D problem - 10/4/2020 5:55:19 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

As far as I can see the Emily name is in blue, if you were to click on the name and look at the choices that pop up you'll see you can go back to an R&D model. That's how the 'one day grace' works.

R&D a/c go blue when they are due to enter production in the next month and I thought they remained blue for one day after entering production. This is what the one days grace is.

I'll repeat what I said, this turn it's blue and research is not complete. NEXT turn reseach completes, it goes into production but is now no longer blue. Thats a bug if my interreptaion of the rules is correct.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 14
RE: R&D problem - 10/5/2020 1:42:48 AM   
rustysi

Its not a bug. Your doing something wrong, just as I did a while back. I opened a thread and explained what worked for me. When I get time I'll try and find it, or you may as well.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 15
RE: R&D problem - 10/5/2020 2:12:46 AM   
rustysi

Here's what I went through. Somewhat different than you experience. I didn't re-read the whole thing but see if it helps. If not just post again and I'll go back and see what I can figure out.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4580065&mpage=1&key=r%26d&#

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 16
RE: R&D problem - 10/5/2020 6:30:53 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

Here's what I went through. Somewhat different than you experience. I didn't re-read the whole thing but see if it helps. If not just post again and I'll go back and see what I can figure out.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4580065&mpage=1&key=r%26d&#

Same problem really except you have more than one factory and seems setting anyone to YES resulted in all going into production. I only have one factory and as you can see it's set to NO and it most deffinite does not give the one days grace that it should. See pic.

I've a save I can email to you if want to take a look, it's the same except upgd is set to YES but that makes no difference.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 17
RE: R&D problem - 10/5/2020 7:59:45 AM   
Alfred

This is michaelm75au advice on this issue.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3134816&mpage=1&key=research&#3134816

Two particular points to note.

1.  He supported the idea of not waiting until level 100 is reached before switching to another R&D model.

2.  The research is expended anyway (hence the early switch advice).  Which suggests that the engine bonus is kicking in and reducing the buffer.

Alfred

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 18
RE: R&D problem - 10/5/2020 8:17:42 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3134816&mpage=1&key=research�

1.  He supported the idea of not waiting until level 100 is reached before switching to another R&D model.

2.  The research is expended anyway (hence the early switch advice).  Which suggests that the engine bonus is kicking in and reducing the buffer.

Alfred

Don't disagree with any of that and if you know about it but it appears from this example that the days grace does not alway happen so don't rely on it. Playing the AI it's not a problem but could be PBEM.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 19
RE: R&D problem - 10/5/2020 2:06:32 PM   
RangerJoe

I still see no problem.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 20
RE: R&D problem - 10/5/2020 3:14:37 PM   
RADM.Yamaguchi

quote:

Don't disagree with any of that and if you know about it but it appears from this example that the days grace does not always happen so don't rely on it. Playing the AI it's not a problem but could be PBEM.

Good Advice! I was stuck with 6 factories producing Rufes when they repaird on the last day of the month and went into production with no way to change them. What a waste.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 21
RE: R&D problem - 10/5/2020 3:23:55 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Don't disagree with any of that and if you know about it but it appears from this example that the days grace does not alway happen so don't rely on it. Playing the AI it's not a problem but could be PBEM.

I think the main point here is that once the engine bonus has been achieved and the date has been moved forward there no longer is any point having a factory research that model if you do not intend for that particular factory to become a production factory, so it makes sense to reassign it at the earliest opportunity, which may occur months (plural) before the initial production date. So keep up.

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 8/21 it is 8/45.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 22
RE: R&D problem - 10/6/2020 4:49:32 AM   
rustysi

OK, I know I resolved the problem by doing something. I'll have to go back and re-read my post. I know I did the same thing when the Franks came online, and it worked, but now I'm not sure what I did.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 23
RE: R&D problem - 10/6/2020 5:10:59 AM   
rustysi

Looking back at my old previous post it seems to me that what's necessary is to have the 'Upgd' option under the R&D screen set to yes. Don't know why, but that's what seem to work.

Please try it and let me know. Thanks.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 24
RE: R&D problem - 10/7/2020 5:46:39 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

Looking back at my old previous post it seems to me that what's necessary is to have the 'Upgd' option under the R&D screen set to yes. Don't know why, but that's what seem to work.

That did't work either, I tried it. In fact I tried all combinations of Upgd and Prod. Nothng gave the one days grace.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 25
RE: R&D problem - 10/7/2020 7:58:10 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Alfred

As you note, the "days grace" may or may not exist. Myself, I have never looked for it ...
In particular when using multiple RnD and engine bonus I have always been on the side of caution and I am only an AI player.

Pax

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 26
RE: R&D problem - 10/8/2020 2:42:29 AM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

That did't work either, I tried it. In fact I tried all combinations of Upgd and Prod. Nothng gave the one days grace.

Thanks for trying. Sorry, I know I did something and it worked. I got the Frank and the George-II since the George-I and had no problem.

When I get the next I'll see what I did so that I got the one day's grace and I'll post.

BTW, I'll ask again, you're not playing multi-day turns, are you?

< Message edited by rustysi -- 10/8/2020 2:43:23 AM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 27
RE: R&D problem - 10/8/2020 2:47:02 AM   
rustysi

quote:

I have always been on the side of caution and I am only an AI player.

I get it, so am I. But this is where I want to get it right so I don't have a problem when, and if, I get to PBEM.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> R&D problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI