Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario building guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario building guide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario building guide - 9/29/2020 12:29:21 PM   
Selchu

Hi folks,
I was wondering has anyone ever made a guide to building a scenario? I have a couple of ideas but no real clue how to go about it, where to start etc.
Is there such a thing or does anyone have any suggestions they would care to share?

Many thanks
Sel
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario building guide - 9/29/2020 3:10:46 PM   
Gunner98

Selchu

Welcome to the ever expanding task of CMO scenario design! I don't know if there is a guide, I think there might be a tutorial on Youtube but am not sure. There are several aspects, some are mechanical with the game interface (see tutorials) and some are conceptual - the art of the task. Some advice:

Start with your idea, map it out in word or Excel or similar. This will form the bases of your briefing and help organize your thoughts: What you want the player to do? What do you want the player to experience? What forces will be portrayed? Some things to include:
-protagonists
-player mission & objectives
-Intelligence situation (enemy - consider surprise and what is called the 'reveal plan', don't give everything away at once)
-Forces

Fire up CMO (this is how I do it - others will certainly have different opinions):
-Lay out the geography of the scenario: bases both sides, weather, decide if you will have neutrals and biologics (just set them up for now)
-Lay out the player side first. This gives you a good understanding of the problems the player will have.
-Lay out the opposition side next. When in doubt give the AI extra resources which you can remove later if you need to.
-Lay out the neutrals and biologics. Be creative and focused, only put them where the player will have to deal with them, others are irrelevant.
-Draft your briefing
-Set up the 'boiler plate' events; points and other things like SAR or random weather etc - if you want any of that
-Think through - and if you need - use a white board or blank piece of paper, the major events and stories in the scenario. Walk backwards and build the events: Eg.
1. An amphibious landing at point X
1.a. will need a unit enters trigger when LCT XXX nears the beach...
1.a.i. when that LCT enters that area, the player will need a message
1.a.ii. do I want to give points
1.a.iii. is there a cargo option or am I teleporting the landing unit
1.b.i. will this cause an enemy reaction
1.b.ii. do I need to set up a time counter for a delayed reaction
1.b.iii.are there enemy missions triggered by this event
1.c...
2. Amphibious units transiting to landing zone
2.a. Do the friendly units all start at the same place
2.b. Are there going to be any events or messages along the way, change of situation or more intelligence on the enemy
2.c. What is the enemy going to do about this?
3. Transported units?
3.a. Are you going to use Cargo, Lua or teleport? (set them up
etc

Do this for each story line or key sequence of events. For your first scenario keep it to one - single - objective. If you don't you will likely either get quickly lost in design and never finish or it will be an unbalanced scenario that nobody plays. There is skill involved and you will get it wrong at time, we all do.

-Next set up enemy missions, this also takes some trial and error but the previous step will help you scope it considerably. If you have enemy without a mission ask yourself why?
-Set up missions for biologics and neutrals in order to make them interfere with the player to the level you want.
-Set up any boiler plate missions for the player (ASW, AWACS etc)
-If you need help with scripting Lua go to the 'Lua Legion' sub forum but for a simple scenario you shouldn't need much Lua
-Finish your briefing
-Playtest it yourself
-Adjust as you see fit
-Finish your briefing again
Repeat the last three steps until you're happy
-release it to the hounds! By that I mean post it to this sub-forum for playtesting. There are a dedicated bunch of folks who will give you good solid feedback and suggestions.

Once you're happy post it to the community scenario thread.

OK I got a little long winded there (just like my briefings ) but scenario design is fun and rewarding. Dig in and ask questions.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario building guide - 9/29/2020 6:46:42 PM   
mikkey

Selchu, try to look at PGatcomb's videos, he also deals with the scenario building

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario building guide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI