Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Logged] Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Logged] Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 9/25/2020 3:52:32 AM   
pbrowne

Complete noob question on CMO and submarines. Why isn't there a predefined depth setting for in-layer?

< Message edited by Rory Noonan -- 10/5/2020 2:17:53 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 9/25/2020 6:35:55 AM   
Fido81

I recall reading somewhere (I've just spent the past few minutes looking for a source and come up empty so take this with a big grain of salt) that just like the upper boundary of the layer reflects sonar pulses from ships on the surface, the upper and lower boundaries of the layer reflect sonar from submarines in the layer. This means that operating in the layer makes you tactically blind (unless you've got a towed array, but the vast majority of boats represented in the game don't).

I would imagine it's quite difficult to sink a ship you can't actually detect. Similarly, unless the opposition has a variable depth sonar (again, the vast majority of ships represented in the game don't), I imagine they'll have a rather difficult time detecting you. I'm not sure when it's a really great idea to be in a position where you definitely can't see the enemy and the enemy probably can't see you, but if they can - you're dead. Maybe it makes sense for boomers?

Since there seems to be limited tactical utility, it makes sense to me that the setting wouldn't be a default for the game. Why would you want the computer to be able to do as a default something that doesn't give it either an offensive or defensive advantage?

Addendum: See the CMO Manual pg 235-6 for further information about the implementation of "the layer" in-game.

< Message edited by Fido81 -- 9/25/2020 6:59:57 AM >

(in reply to pbrowne)
Post #: 2
RE: Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 9/25/2020 7:25:06 AM   
pbrowne

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fido81

I recall reading somewhere (I've just spent the past few minutes looking for a source and come up empty so take this with a big grain of salt) that just like the upper boundary of the layer reflects sonar pulses from ships on the surface, the upper and lower boundaries of the layer reflect sonar from submarines in the layer. This means that operating in the layer makes you tactically blind (unless you've got a towed array, but the vast majority of boats represented in the game don't).

I would imagine it's quite difficult to sink a ship you can't actually detect. Similarly, unless the opposition has a variable depth sonar (again, the vast majority of ships represented in the game don't), I imagine they'll have a rather difficult time detecting you. I'm not sure when it's a really great idea to be in a position where you definitely can't see the enemy and the enemy probably can't see you, but if they can - you're dead. Maybe it makes sense for boomers?

Since there seems to be limited tactical utility, it makes sense to me that the setting wouldn't be a default for the game. Why would you want the computer to be able to do as a default something that doesn't give it either an offensive or defensive advantage?

Addendum: See the CMO Manual pg 235-6 for further information about the implementation of "the layer" in-game.

Thanks Fido81. I' m aware that in the thermocline that you can be tactically blind. However, I imagine that there would be occasions, especially for SSBNs, to mask in the layer, say to and from launch zones...

(in reply to Fido81)
Post #: 3
RE: Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 9/25/2020 8:54:27 AM   
cmanouser1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fido81
Since there seems to be limited tactical utility

Hard disagree here , I use it in most scenarios:

1) Inside the layer is the best place to travel at medium to high speed: you're minimizing the risk to be detected by sonars above and below the layer. And detection within the layer is terrible too.

Typical use is to travel fast in the layer, periodically go back to creep "above layer" (which, if you have a TASS, will give you indication below the layer too) to peek for a while and make sure it's still safe, then back in the layer at speed!

2) It's also the best place to hide in, if you can't reach the ocean floor, if enemies have both TASS and hull sonars.

I agree inside the layer is a needed setting; it's not sufficient to set it manually as, for long hauls, the layer will move.

< Message edited by cmanouser1 -- 9/25/2020 9:03:40 AM >

(in reply to Fido81)
Post #: 4
RE: Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 9/25/2020 8:09:34 PM   
AndrewJ

Ditto. Travel within the layer is pretty much my default setting behaviour, unless I'm hunting for something.

< Message edited by AndrewJ -- 9/26/2020 11:49:05 AM >

(in reply to cmanouser1)
Post #: 5
RE: Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 9/25/2020 10:46:54 PM   
pbrowne

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

Ditto. Travel within the layer is pretty much my default setting...

What setting?

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 9/26/2020 1:46:19 AM   
cmanouser1

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbrowne

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

Ditto. Travel within the layer is pretty much my default setting...

What setting?

He means that by default he travels in the layer.

(in reply to pbrowne)
Post #: 7
RE: Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 9/26/2020 11:48:01 AM   
AndrewJ

That's right, sorry for the clumsy wording on my part.

< Message edited by AndrewJ -- 9/26/2020 11:49:26 AM >

(in reply to cmanouser1)
Post #: 8
RE: Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? - 10/5/2020 2:18:03 AM   
Rory Noonan

Logged for investigation.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Submarine Depth - No predefined In Layer setting? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI