Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Maxing out population on a planet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Maxing out population on a planet Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Maxing out population on a planet - 9/24/2020 12:32:06 AM   
RogerBacon

I recently watched a playthough of Distant Worlds and the player was so happy when he maxed out his home planet's population, which he rushed to do. From a game perspective, it makes sense. More population equals more money and more research. In reality, it would be a disaster. Can you imagine any leader saying, "Let's rush to maximize the population that Earth can possibly support".

Other games, like the Civilization series, have major penalties for population growth. I think Distant Worlds should have some sort of penalty too. What does everyone think?

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Post #: 1
RE: Maxing out population on a planet - 9/24/2020 1:44:47 AM   
Retreat1970

Regardless, in this game pop=win.

Maybe a reduction in planet quality after 2/3 max pop to a 5% to 10% quality reduction?

Or more pop = removal of planet resources over time?

Maybe cost overruns starting at 50% pop so the bigger the pop the more bureaucracy and management costs to build?

Just thinking.

The homeworld centric view of the game leads to easy wins. Want to kill off a rival fast? Bust his homeworld. Ignore the rest. Game over.

In my games I play with house rules. If I didn't I might not play at all.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 2
RE: Maxing out population on a planet - 9/24/2020 11:39:36 AM   
Siddham

I agree. I think there should be a distinct line of research which controls population size; and anything above your current level would have penalties.
The line of research would represent relevant advances in economic & social policy and technology that enable a larger population without damaging the planet.
Or if not a distinct line of research some kind of integration of pop size to certain research lines.

< Message edited by Siddham -- 9/24/2020 11:43:35 AM >

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 3
RE: Maxing out population on a planet - 9/24/2020 2:43:28 PM   
Kingah

Some kind of penalty should exist, even if it's just something like a linear growth of strategic and luxury resources required to sustain the population.

Always felt a food mechanic is lacking in DW though, which is closely tied to this. You can blockade a world of 15 billion people and nothing really changes. With food introduced it changes so many mechanics of the game.

Dream Idea pitch here, bare with me.

The food production of a planet dependent on type, quality, size and population. Continental, ocean and marsh planets obviously would produce more food than ice, volcanic and desert ones.

Depending on size and quality an output modifier is applied on the base food production of a planet. As the population of the planet increases, the needs might outgrow the production of food, and the empire need to find new worlds to colonize/conquer to secure the food supply.

Would give a reason to limit population growth on colonies etc.

As not to make this unbalanced on different starting planet types. Humans who start on a better world might require maybe 1 unit of food per 1 million people. Teekan's who are much smaller, require maybe only 0.5 units per 1 million people. I think I can make a case for most of the races on non-temperate worlds needing less food except for the Mortalen and Naxxilians.

If you don't have enough food for your colonies there would obviously be unrest and riots. As famine becomes an actual thing maybe it could be simulated by a plague that kills the pop until it's close enough to the food threshold required to sustain the population.

Food doesn't have to be an actual resource shipped around by transports. Could as well just be some hidden number on worlds controlling it's growth etc.

Sorry for the poorly formatted rant. A man can dream ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

< Message edited by Kingah -- 9/24/2020 2:54:52 PM >

(in reply to Siddham)
Post #: 4
RE: Maxing out population on a planet - 9/24/2020 9:58:42 PM   
Retreat1970

Some sort of sustenance mechanic would be interesting. We already have a resource system in place.

Add a resource (or three, or ten :)). Planets behave normally unless they run out of said resource. Then pop dies slowly. Maybe to zero, maybe to half.

I'm positive that it's not coded anywhere, but Roger is around so...

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 5
RE: Maxing out population on a planet - 9/25/2020 1:21:54 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

Some sort of sustenance mechanic would be interesting. We already have a resource system in place.

Add a resource (or three, or ten :)). Planets behave normally unless they run out of said resource. Then pop dies slowly. Maybe to zero, maybe to half.

I'm positive that it's not coded anywhere, but Roger is around so...

Yeah. I always thought it was strange that there was no food in this game.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 6
RE: Maxing out population on a planet - 10/2/2020 2:26:56 AM   
OnePercent

I like the way swords of the stars handled it, planets had ecologically stable pop limit which was half of their actual max capacity, and if you decided to max out a planet it would start ruining the biosphere.

In Sots, the more planets you have reaching ecological equilibrium = more industrial capacity and thus = win.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 7
RE: Maxing out population on a planet - 10/2/2020 4:46:02 AM   
Retreat1970

This line in the resource text...

ColonyGrowthResourceLevel: numeric value indicating level of resource required for growth at colonies, range from 0 (not required) to 1.0 (lots of this resource required)

Leads me to believe a resource could be created and needed in high demand (food), and assumingly would hamper population growth if depleted.

A quick way to do something with a food element maybe, but not exactly as requested.

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Maxing out population on a planet Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI