Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 9:48:34 AM   
HunterICX

quote:

ORIGINAL:
I hate bad research in historical war fiction..hate it..

Reason I don't read them in the first place, nothing would suck me out of a book quicker the moment my brain goes into full history buff mode screaming at the page for being wrong.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 31
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 1:46:17 PM   
Edmon

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Yep, that's pretty irritating, although its worse when that happens and the book you've bought is supposed to be historical fact......

"It was a dark and terrible night in the trenches. The horror of the days fighting was made even worse at night, where the use of mobilephones was forbidden in case it would attract the attention of enemy bombers..."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 1:57:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edmon

quote:

Yep, that's pretty irritating, although its worse when that happens and the book you've bought is supposed to be historical fact......

"It was a dark and terrible night in the trenches. The horror of the days fighting was made even worse at night, where the use of mobilephones was forbidden in case it would attract the attention of enemy bombers..."
warspite1

Yes, that was a particularly bad one. I mean come on, do your research! Everyone knows that, from 1915 onwards, mobile phones were confiscated before the troops left Blighty for Flanders.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/23/2020 1:58:05 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 33
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:07:35 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Just like the guys in camo who would wear a watch that beeps, or use velcro which you can hear when it is pulled apart.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 34
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:07:53 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yes, that was a particularly bad one. I mean come on, do your research! Everyone knows that, from 1915 onwards, mobile phones were confiscated before the troops left Blighty for Flanders.

I didn't know that!

How would they ever get anyone to volunteer for the armed forces if they were not allowed to use their phones. Besides, the phones are needed to keep the troops updated on the progress of the offensive. And to be able to protest if the other side does something unfair. Also, the camera is needed to document the trench I am in because the bottom of it is muddy and I am expected to stand in it!

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:10:16 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I thought that they were stolen from the passed out, drunken soldiers when they were lying in the gutters in London. After all, that is why the public houses closed in the afternoon, is it not? So the soldiers might wake up in time to catch their train?

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 36
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:11:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I didn't know that!

How would they ever get anyone to volunteer for the armed forces if they were not allowed to use their phones. Besides, the phones are needed to keep the troops updated on the progress of the offensive. And to be able to protest if the other side does something unfair. Also, the camera is needed to document the trench I am in because the bottom of it is muddy and I am expected to stand in it!
warspite1

The British had no choice but to bring in the ruling. During 1914 and early 1915 the majority of deaths on the Western Front were attributed to soldiers going over the top, charging toward the enemy, but stopping to take a selfie when halfway there. When the scale of the problem was realised there was no choice; the phones had to go.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 37
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:25:19 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I didn't know that!

warspite1

The British had no choice but to bring in the ruling. During 1914 and early 1915 the majority of deaths on the Western Front were attributed to soldiers going over the top, charging toward the enemy, but stopping to take a selfie when halfway there. When the scale of the problem was realised there was no choice; the phones had to go.

Why didn't they simply ask their opponents to take pictures for them? And then post them online for everyone to see?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:29:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I didn't know that!

warspite1

Why didn't they simply ask their opponents to take pictures for them? And then post them online for everyone to see?
warspite1

A few did - or at least attempted to - in the early days. The trouble was, no sooner had one begun uttering the line "I say, excuse me old boy, but would you mind awfully doi........." than one tended to get sawn in half by a ruddy great machine gun....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 39
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:34:47 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I didn't know that!

warspite1

warspite1

A few did - or at least attempted to - in the early days. The trouble was, no sooner had one begun uttering the line "I say, excuse me old boy, but would you mind awfully doi........." than one tended to get sawn in half by a ruddy great machine gun....

Ah. That explains it. How dumb. Always a risk for misunderstandings when you do it in real life. They should, of course, created a friendgroup online beforehand and agreed on a time and place for the event. And arranged for proper documentation as well. Maybe even make a live coverage out of it? Hashtag WemeetinFlanders

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/23/2020 2:35:06 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:38:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I didn't know that!

warspite1

warspite1

Ah. That explains it. How dumb. Always a risk for misunderstandings when you do it in real life. They should, of course, created a friendgroup online beforehand and agreed on a time and place for the event. And arranged for proper documentation as well. Maybe even make a live coverage out of it? Hashtag WemeetinFlanders

warspite1

Indeed, but in fairness it was early days for mobile technology and I don't think owners at that time had a full grasp of the possibilities.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 41
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:42:11 PM   
Orm

quote:

Indeed, but in fairness it was early days for mobile technology and I don't think owners at that time had a full grasp of the possibilities.

What? Must have been like, literally, like the stone age then.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:46:43 PM   
Edmon

This might actually make for an amusing book. WWI with some banal, specific and ridiculously out of place 2020 internet technology. It could start off historical and gradually add 2020 internet things and just get more surreal as it goes along...

"Just got trenchfoot >:(. #health #stuckinthewar #noonecares."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 43
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 2:50:16 PM   
warspite1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_b1Y-Rl_Uo

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 44
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 4:01:18 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

This might actually make for an amusing book. WWI with some banal, specific and ridiculously out of place 2020 internet technology. It could start off historical and gradually add 2020 internet things and just get more surreal as it goes along...

I read only the first of Harry Turtledove's novels about "Aliens attack Earth during WWII". It was long ago, but I remember how the "advanced alien technology" was based on the late '80s-early '90s weapon systems (you could actually read about the German panzer divisions being attacked by what, by all means and descriptions, were A-10 Warthogs "painted" alien ). I stopped reading after the first book: it was terminally lazy.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 9/24/2020 11:08:05 PM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 45
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 5:10:35 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I didn't know that!

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

I thought that they did get cell phone pictures during the Christmas Truce in 1914! Videos as well of them singing carols and playing soccer/football!

What gets me is that they went over the top when the remote control drones with the video cameras were letting them know that they were attacking into a bunch of machine guns. So much so that their Kevlar would not protect them!

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 46
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/23/2020 7:18:49 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

As long as mobile phones are historically accurate models with respective functions

On more serious note, there are cartoons like that. Archer is spy stuff. I recall seeing a clip on YouTube where 2 agents climb up a wall with a rope, and a boy snaps a photo with his cell phone. Gintama is anime, which seems to take a place in Edo period where aliens came in and revamped Japan's technology and culture. In Batman Ninja Batman & friends & villains go to Japan in time of sengoku jidai and mess the place up. With mecha

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI