Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/18/2020 10:36:43 PM   
wodin

it's Aug 1941 on the East Front, and first Panthers are mentioned, and I thought give it the benefit, maybe a typo meant Panzers..but then Tigers mentioned next...oh hum...end of book there and then.

I hate bad research in historical war fiction..hate it..

Infact I can't get my head around this sort of thing...you go to all the effort to write a novel but seem to know nothing much about the subject matter..why bother?

< Message edited by wodin -- 9/18/2020 10:38:06 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 7:12:13 AM   
warspite1

Yep, that's pretty irritating, although its worse when that happens and the book you've bought is supposed to be historical fact......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 10:05:14 AM   
demyansk

I agree, I only read non fiction and still find problems.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 10:21:02 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

it's Aug 1941 on the East Front, and first Panthers are mentioned, and I thought give it the benefit, maybe a typo meant Panzers..but then Tigers mentioned next...oh hum...end of book there and then.

Infact I can't get my head around this sort of thing...you go to all the effort to write a novel but seem to know nothing much about the subject matter..why bother?

Hear, hear.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 10:22:03 AM   
Orm

Perhaps you could name the author so I could avoid him?

Edit: Or have you posted a review to read on your site? Goes there to check.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 11:28:05 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I agree, I only read non fiction and still find problems.

Perhaps you're living in an alternate reality?

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 6
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 11:53:57 AM   
Massattack

I totally agree. Verisimilitude in both historical fiction, and movies is so important. Nothing destroys the
drawing in of the reader/viewer so much as an aberration. What might appear a minor or unnoticed error to the uninformed
becomes rather more glaring to us history nuts! Wrong tanks in Battle of The Bulge, wrong aircraft in Japanese
colours in Tora Tora Tora, etc. I recently read an otherwise quite good historical fiction book which mentioned
one of it's lead characters reading the morning newspaper in March 1940, headlines "Another night of
heavy bombing over London"............

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 7
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 1:54:47 PM   
Kuokkanen

Check this frak out from Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures
quote:

Such men I had never seen. Like him I had slain, they were tall and massive with red or yellow hair and beards and fierce light eyes. But they were not clad in mail from head to foot like the Crusaders. They wore horned helmets and shirts of scale mail which came almost to their knees but left their throats and arms bare, and most of them wore no other armor at all.

Robert E. Howard is overrated.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Massattack)
Post #: 8
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 2:21:40 PM   
MrsWargamer

Was reading a book on the Battle of the Bulge, I think written by an American author. Seemed ok, until the book has photos of Patton tanks.

Ruined it for me immediately. Credibility right in the garbage can.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 2:36:38 PM   
DeepBlack

If ignorance is bliss then knowledge is agony?

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 10
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 2:48:41 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

I recall going through something similar when reading horror novelist Stephen King's book, The Dead Zone.

When the lead character Johnny comes out of of coma, he finds he has been cursed with a psychic gift when he grabs his doctor's hand. He sees the doctor's memories of the 1939 invasion of Poland, complete with a German Tiger tank gunning down civilians. A vehicle which of course, did not enter service until late 1942. Not to mention that someone who was a child at the time of the invasion likely wouldn't to be able to differentiate a Tiger from a Lynx.

I went ahead and finished the novel anyway. It wasn't a war novel and I figured WW2 armor probably wasn't Stephen King's strong suit to begin with.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 2:55:40 PM   
Rebel Yell

quote:

Because people don't know what they don't know.

Don't hate a game because you play it poorly.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 3:18:41 PM   
Grognerd_INC

This seems to be a common issue with all media. Some definitely worse than others.

Formerly Grognerd

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 13
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/19/2020 3:40:43 PM   
RangerJoe

It is also a fault of the editing staff, proof readers, and such who don't know the subject. I read where someone had actually tracking down information that had been recited and referred to by many knowledgable and respected people but found it to be incorrect. Someone stated something that was in error and the others repeated it, referencing the work that had the error but no one actually went to the original source.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 14
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 4:44:50 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

It is also a fault of the editing staff, proof readers, and such who don't know the subject. I read where someone had actually tracking down information that had been recited and referred to by many knowledgable and respected people but found it to be incorrect. Someone stated something that was in error and the others repeated it, referencing the work that had the error but no one actually went to the original source.

Example: one US Army general claiming that Sherman (or American tanks in general) is not meant to fight enemy tanks. When generals make mistakes (or opinions?) like that, wouldn't it be fair to give novelists some leeway.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 9/20/2020 4:45:49 AM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 15
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 12:57:02 PM   
MrsWargamer

But the Sherman WASN'T meant to fight enemy armour. Sadly it was a doctrine, that wasn't well thought through.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 16
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 3:01:16 PM   
Rebel Yell

And here we have a perfect example of people not knowing what they don't know.

Myths of American Armor

Don't hate a game because you play it poorly.

Post #: 17
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 4:06:53 PM   
76mm

I recently read a book by a well-respected WWII historian, and throughout the whole book he kept referring to the 7.5 mm guns on the German tanks. "Missed it by that much".

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 18
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 5:55:33 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I recently read a book by a well-respected WWII historian, and throughout the whole book he kept referring to the 7.5 mm guns on the German tanks. "Missed it by that much".

That is probably because Americans usually use the mm for guns while the Germans would use cm for guns. It may not have been the historian, it may have been a proofreader or an editor.

― Julia Child

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 19
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 5:57:43 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

But the Sherman WASN'T meant to fight enemy armour. Sadly it was a doctrine, that wasn't well thought through.

Too true. It was supposed to be the tank destroyers job. Patton understood that but others did not. It was only when the Sherman had a higher velocity gun that it did better attacking enemy tanks.

― Julia Child

Post #: 20
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 7:18:26 PM   
AndySfromVA

It annoys me when I see wacky errors of history in novels, which happens all the time. Not only in a military context but also with respect to dates, aspects of everyday culture supposedly available at the time and, worst of all, the historically erroneous use of slang. Language changes over time and characters in a novel taking place in the 1950's shouldn't talk like people in the present day, but many writers don't pay attention to things like that.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 21
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 8:13:31 PM   
RangerJoe

What really insult me is when people complain about the word usage from before by equating it to the word usage today when the meaning and usage has changed.

― Julia Child

(in reply to AndySfromVA)
Post #: 22
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 9:00:10 PM   
AndySfromVA

I assume you're not referring to anything in my comment.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 23
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 9:53:23 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

Such men I had never seen. Like him I had slain, they were tall and massive with red or yellow hair and beards and fierce light eyes. But they were not clad in mail from head to foot like the Crusaders. They wore horned helmets and shirts of scale mail which came almost to their knees but left their throats and arms bare, and most of them wore no other armor at all.

He lived for all his life in a small Texas town with limited resources and still he tried to do the best possible research for his historical tales. I guess we can't pretend perfection from someone who wrote one hundred years ago.

Anyway, Howard's strength is in the writing. No one could describe a weird landscape, a battle or an action scene the way he did. Howard was less baroque than Lovecraft (and, in a way, less literate), but he was both rich and direct in his writings (writings that, it is worth remembering, include MUCH MORE than Conan - Conan actually being a series that he began and left unfinished during the last years of his brief life).

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 24
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/20/2020 10:33:57 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndySfromVA

I assume you're not referring to anything in my comment.

I was not and I still am not. In particular, I think of Tom Sawyer and especially Huck Finn.

― Julia Child

(in reply to AndySfromVA)
Post #: 25
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/21/2020 1:00:30 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

quote:

He lived for all his life in a small Texas town with limited resources and still he tried to do the best possible research for his historical tales. I guess we can't pretend perfection from someone who wrote one hundred years ago.

Anyway, Howard's strength is in the writing. No one could describe a weird landscape, a battle or an action scene the way he did. Howard was less baroque than Lovecraft (and, in a way, less literate), but he was both rich and direct in his writings (writings that, it is worth remembering, include MUCH MORE than Conan - Conan actually being a series that he began and left unfinished during the last years of his brief life).

Hear hear!! I grew up reading Robert E. Howard. He may or may not have done very well on historical accuracy, but he could damn well spin a yarn that would keep me mesmerized. His short stories on the Crusades were gems, if you ask me. If he was writing in the day of the internet, or easy international travel, or easy research, then I may be less forgiving. But, from what I understand he basically grew up poor and probably wasn't very "international".

If they made movies that followed his stories more truly, and used some of the quotes in his books, those movies would be far better.

I still go back and re-read his Conan short stories. All safely tucked away on my Kindle. not to mention his El Borak stories, some Bran Mak Morn stories, and his Strange Tales (I think that was the name of the magazine that published a lot of his stories).

< Message edited by Gilmer -- 9/21/2020 1:03:15 AM >

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 26
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/21/2020 2:27:10 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gilmer
But, from what I understand he basically grew up poor and probably wasn't very "international".

He wasn't "poor", and he actually was considered "worldly", but strictly by the people who lived in backwater Texas around 1930. After all he was the author "published by New York magazines". He, however, always refused to move to more cosmopolitan places: Howard's windows on the World were his pen pals.
quote:

I still go back and re-read his Conan short stories. All safely tucked away on my Kindle. not to mention his El Borak stories, some Bran Mak Morn stories, and his Strange Tales (I think that was the name of the magazine that published a lot of his stories).

And some wonderful stories for the "Cthulhu Mythos" - which, it is worth mentioning, weren't written only by Lovecraft, but by a whole group of writers who considered them "open source" or such. Lovecraft himself wrote Howard's eulogy when he took his life.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 27
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/21/2020 8:48:01 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

Too true. It was supposed to be the tank destroyers job. Patton understood that but others did not.

I request a source. Because Nicholas Moran here explains with scans from doctrine manuals (tank destroyer one too) that it is tank's job to support infantry in offense against whatever the enemy has along the way, and tank destroyer defends against attacking enemy armour. And war time films, like this, say the same thing.

Yes, Mr. Moran mentions a general who said tank should not fight another tank. Wasn't popular opinion at the time and didn't make it to doctrine. Like enemy would care about the general's opinion anyway.

MekWars

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 28
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/22/2020 2:55:06 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Too true. It was supposed to be the tank destroyers job. Patton understood that but others did not.

I request a source. Because Nicholas Moran here explains with scans from doctrine manuals (tank destroyer one too) that it is tank's job to support infantry in offense against whatever the enemy has along the way, and tank destroyer defends against attacking enemy armour. And war time films, like this, say the same thing.

Yes, Mr. Moran mentions a general who said tank should not fight another tank. Wasn't popular opinion at the time and didn't make it to doctrine. Like enemy would care about the general's opinion anyway.

quote:

The Army didn’t intend for its own tanks to specialize in defending against enemy panzers. The new armor branch wanted to focus on the same kind of bold armored attacks the Germans were famous for.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-us-armys-world-war-ii-tank-destroyers-waste-time-or-17527

This one as well, although it does not like me to cut and paste from it:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a416377.pdf

― Julia Child

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 29
RE: Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... - 9/22/2020 9:08:15 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

The Army didn’t intend for its own tanks to specialize in defending against enemy panzers. The new armor branch wanted to focus on the same kind of bold armored attacks the Germans were famous for.

That's what I said!

MekWars

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Nothing ruins a historical war fiction novel than.... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI