Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis conquer Egypt

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Axis conquer Egypt Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis conquer Egypt - 9/12/2020 4:45:53 AM   
canuckgamer

In my current PBEM game I am playing the Axis and this past turn Egypt surrendered after I took Cairo. I am also occupying Alexandria and the town directly south of Cairo. I am adjacent to the last port on the Red Sea.

Should the Axis now move east advancing on the oil fields? I assume it would be very difficult to threaten Russia via the Caucasus because of the long supply lines. I also doubt the Axis would have enough manpower for that.

I am curious as to what other players have done after conquering Egypt.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Axis conquer Egypt - 9/12/2020 9:01:56 AM   
Platoonist

I suppose a lot depends on how vigorously your opponent can defend the Sinai Peninsula and if he has forces in the area to back him up. There is quite the man-made choke point there at the Suez Canal. Two hexes wide.

I wouldn't worry about Russia for now. Your biggest threat to the Allies is seizing the Iraqi oilfields if you can make it there. Unfortunately, the lousy supply lines over the Syrian desert can make that a long slog. In the near term, I would certainly try to grab all the Mediterranean port cities in Syria.

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis conquer Egypt - 9/12/2020 1:25:58 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Great Question

Axis certainly should capture all 3 countries west of Iraq, going after Iraq is debatable. Capturing the capitol cities of Syria & Iraq doesn't give the Axis the entire country, Axis needs to capture every city/resource. The supply road from Amman to Baghdad (& Baghdad to Amman) is very tough, especially if your opponent uses Strats to reduce supply.

The Axis probably needs at least 2 German HQs, 3 tanks and a large AF to take Baghdad (again this isnt all of Iraq). This takes significantly away from the SU attack. If not done in time the US starts flowing in and Iraq can become a quagmire. If the Axis is successful in capturing Iraq and Iran the attack on the Caucasus is also tough because the SU has a large supply advantage and will probably have built forts.

Its also very difficult for the Allies to mount an attack from Iraq, so it make make more sense for the Axis to set up a formidable defense in Transjordan & Syria.

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 9/12/2020 1:28:47 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis conquer Egypt - 9/12/2020 2:27:17 PM   
Sugar

The iraquian (and probably saudi-arabian) oil fields are vital to the Allied war effort, accordingly should be the Axis effort. Supply lines should of course rely on more than the one thin line through the transjordanian desert (but be aware a DoW on Syria could have negative impact on Turkey).

You should be able to defend these supply lines against strat. bombing, you`re gonna need a good chunk of the Luftwaffe and be prepared to throw more of it into the battle if needed. Imho there is no such thing as a "defense" in SC, it`s just a matter of effort take out any defense, like you already did in Egypt.

At the Persian Gulf there are 5 more oil fields, and to cut off the Persian Convoy to Russia should be an additional goal. The russian railroad stops at Astara south of Baku, until then your supply is equal to the russian. And if you were able to reach Verkhny Baskunchak east of Stalingrad, the caucasian supply isn`t better than the german since the railroad is cut off.

If you haven`t won the war by taking all the necessary key objectives, the occupation of all the oil sources will practically do.

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis conquer Egypt - 9/13/2020 1:18:43 AM   
canuckgamer

The Axis currently have Port Said and should have Suez this turn. What about using those ports to load units on to amphibious transports then moving them to the entry hex to the Persian Gulf. If the Allies don't have a garrison in Basra I could take that and move on the oilfields. Quicker and easier than the overland route. I also assume that with the Axis controlling both Port Said and Suez, the Allies cannot move to the Mediterranean from the Red Sea and vice versa.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis conquer Egypt - 9/13/2020 1:29:41 AM   
Gilber

quote:

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer

The Axis currently have Port Said and should have Suez this turn. What about using those ports to load units on to amphibious transports then moving them to the entry hex to the Persian Gulf. If the Allies don't have a garrison in Basra I could take that and move on the oilfields. Quicker and easier than the overland route. I also assume that with the Axis controlling both Port Said and Suez, the Allies cannot move to the Mediterranean from the Red Sea and vice versa.

the entry hex to the Persian Gulf only works for allies

Gilles

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis conquer Egypt - 9/14/2020 12:08:17 PM   
Hartmann301

Don't forget about your back as you move into Iraq. In one game the Allies invaded from the Red Sea in force and I had a disaster

(in reply to Gilber)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis conquer Egypt - 9/16/2020 2:38:42 AM   
canuckgamer

In my PBEM game the Russians have invaded Iraq. I assume they will have trouble with supply. There was message about Turkey being alarmed by the invasion but doesn't look to me like it impacted their diplomatic status by much if any. I am advancing on Aqaba which is the last port on the Red Sea that I do not control.

If the Allied invade from the Red Sea it must be all long range amphibious transport which is expensive and slow. As mentioned I control all the ports on the Red Sea except Aqaba so the Allies would have to capture one or more of those ports or any invading units would not have any supply. At least that is what I think will be the situation.

(in reply to Hartmann301)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Axis conquer Egypt Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI