Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports - 9/11/2020 1:56:20 PM   
HamburgerMeat

In a recent game, my allied opponent lowered the Danish port to 0 strength, allowing him to move his navy into the Baltic sea and destroying the axis navy there. Note that the naval unit cannot move into the port hex itself, but can still move through it

I never knew about this until now. Is this intended?
Post #: 1
RE: Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports - 9/11/2020 2:15:13 PM   
Cpuncher

I think this has always been the case, but should be fixed. Right now if you have a few battleships you can go through any of the naval choke points, be it the Danish port or Gibraltar. Probably not Suez, as there is a Land Hex there.

It really create some unwanted situation there. I'd hope it can be made that enemy ports are impassible even at strength 0.

(in reply to HamburgerMeat)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports - 9/11/2020 7:34:44 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Correct, that's the old, whack the Danes port, and send in the clowns.

My question on ports would be, why are Ship vs Ship (inside port) so invincible? Guess there's some default shore battery in the port.

Next, I've yet to understand (or pay attention) when capturing ports, what value it will be after the fact.

And finally, the USA should be able to build Mulberries. The ports/cities are a joke for 5 turns, and USA never get good supply until Paris. Meanwhile, the Superman Panzer eats apple strudel. Would rather have some real ground combat with the Nazis, instead of needing 10+ Bombers/Mediums/Tactical to get a kill. 20 Shore Bombardments, 15 Planes & many ground units with garbage supply might get stuck on a Morale 1% Panzer, with 3-star HQ / 3-star experience.

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports - 9/11/2020 7:36:25 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Might as well, toss in destroying a unit via shore bombardment. the percentage will say 30% on a ground unit, never happens until you get Destroyer +2, then are better than Cruisers, also better than Battleship for a kill, but obviously the BB does the morale hurt. Odd.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports - 9/11/2020 8:49:30 PM   
taffjones

Hi Elvis

The UK built the Mulberries, In fact they were built 5 miles from where I live in the estuary of the Conwy river.

If I was more computer savvy I could dig out & post some pictures of them under construction.

But in real life neither the one built for the Americans or British lasted long, they were destroyed by storms.

But if you send in a HQ by Amp Transport it will give it a supply of 10, as I understand it at the moment. (but I could be wrong) So this would be like having the Mulberries.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports - 9/12/2020 2:54:07 AM   
James Taylor

As I remember, the best way to get good supply is to use a special forces unit for the initial invasion as its supply doesn't degrade as quickly.

Then just as the supply of the invasion force falls to less than 5 on the next turn bring in the amphib HQ to get the boost.

If need be, bring in the 2nd HQ later in the same circumstances of a reduced supply invasion force.

In this manner you can keep the invasion in good supply for a number of turns to be effective.

< Message edited by James Taylor -- 9/12/2020 2:55:12 AM >

SeaMonkey

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Moving units through 0 strength enemy ports Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI