Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scripts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Scripts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scripts - 9/8/2020 12:52:12 PM   
wobbleguts

When playing as Japan, I was surprised when the UK surrendered after losing Egypt. They still had Malta and Gibraltar, occupied parts of Germany and there was no threat to the UK itself.

It was explained to me that this is because of the morale rules in the game. ie, the UK lost India, SE Asia, Egypt and threw the towel in. It still doesn't seem based on reality to me but happy to have it explained.

Set up a new game playing as Germany. This time I went through the scripts in detail and found the following....

National Morale

UK: The fall of Alexandria
UK: The fall of Cairo
UK: The fall of Delhi

If I de-select these scripts does it mean that the UK won't suffer moral loss if these cities are taken? The game doesn't provide any details on what the scripts actually do so it is difficult to tell.

Also when going through the scripts I couldn't make sense of how they were sorted. It is not by country or title and you have to scroll through each page to see what's relevant to your campaign. Is the script list sorted by historical dates?

Post #: 1
RE: Scripts - 9/8/2020 4:55:18 PM   
LoneRunner

Doesn't seem like the fall of Egypt and India would be enough to cause UK to surrender. Occupying parts of Germany probably has no effect on UK morale in the game, although logically we know the real world morale boost would be huge.

Did the UK incur large fleet and convoy losses? The effect on morale for losing a battleship or carrier is significant. Also, was Paris still in German hands? Freeing France would have a big impact.

Sounds like an interesting game.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: Scripts - 9/9/2020 1:20:45 AM   
Xsillione

That one went for decades beyond what expected, so it was a slow sapping of the fixed morale pool, and sooner or later it will run out.

And yes, if you deselect them, they won't fire, and probably those are the morale loss events for the given cities and territories. But the UK will still fail, if you go for too long. Actually as Germany, you can almost force them to surrender with subs alone, and very easily after you sink the UK fleet, defeat them in africa and take gibraltar and such.

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 3
RE: Scripts - 9/9/2020 4:48:58 AM   
Cpuncher

Does anyone here know when below what specific NM level that UK will surrender?

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 4
RE: Scripts - 9/9/2020 4:59:48 AM   
Torplexed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpuncher

Does anyone here know when below what specific NM level that UK will surrender?

Assuming page 88 of the manual isn't out of date, the magic white-flag number for every nation appears to be zero.

quote:

If National Morale falls to zero then the Major Power will surrender, so maintaining National Morale is important, especially for France whose National Morale is fragile.

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 5
RE: Scripts - 9/9/2020 4:59:54 AM   
Torplexed

Double post.

< Message edited by Torplexed -- 9/9/2020 5:00:42 AM >

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 6
RE: Scripts - 9/9/2020 5:21:46 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Japan was Nuked, lost China, lost Korea, lost Manchuria, lost Philippines, lost Okinawa, lost Taiwan and still wouldn't surrender. Had 16%

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 9/9/2020 5:22:00 AM >

And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 7
RE: Scripts - 9/9/2020 8:48:46 AM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

Japan was Nuked, lost China, lost Korea, lost Manchuria, lost Philippines, lost Okinawa, lost Taiwan and still wouldn't surrender. Had 16%

Is this in one of your games?

Only some feedback has suggested Japan's National Morale is not high enough and they may surrender before the Atomic bombs are dropped or Manchuria invaded, so knowing this will help. Is it right as it is or not?

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 8
RE: Scripts - 9/9/2020 11:38:33 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

Is this in one of your games?

Only some feedback has suggested Japan's National Morale is not high enough and they may surrender before the Atomic bombs are dropped or Manchuria invaded, so knowing this will help. Is it right as it is or not?

Good Morning BR,

I'm not sure how it works (or supposed to work). This was an observation in most recent game against my sparring opponent ThundarLizard.

Game was late early 1945, and I had Korea, Manchuria, and "almost all of the original China". I read the script for the Nuke would trigger in Augsut 1945. At this early 1945 time (call it February, Japan's Morale was maybe ~40%? So I grabbed Okinawa, Taiwan and Manila June 1945. I didn't bother to check the percentage again (or cannot remember). Then I was asked the Truman question, wanna spend the 600 MMPs to do the deed. Of course I answered "Yes", figured the Morale would go below 0% and thus Japan would surrender.

Japan did not surrender, so I checked their graph, was low teens. Maybe 16%? Figured I had bypassed too many Island hops.

Is this how you got it designed?

This was actually quite the game, because ThundarLizard took Moscow in November 1945, while Patton was 2-hexes West of Paris. I surrendered as Allies because Panzer level 5 were operanded back to France. This is the game I got he 8-months of rain England/France. Was a classic tight game. Either one of us could have won.

-EJR

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 9
RE: Scripts - 9/9/2020 9:24:37 PM   
Cpuncher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Torplexed

Assuming page 88 of the manual isn't out of date, the magic white-flag number for every nation appears to be zero.

quote:

If National Morale falls to zero then the Major Power will surrender, so maintaining National Morale is important, especially for France whose National Morale is fragile.

Thanks. I missed that part of the manual.

Well then it must be tough to lose that much NM for UK. If they still hold London, and lose everything else, there are still some 50K-60K to spend on unit losses. That's like the equivalent of 200 armies, or 70 battleships. Oh well I guess losing your navy can speed things up.

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Scripts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI