Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fighter air bases fuel anomaly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Fighter air bases fuel anomaly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fighter air bases fuel anomaly - 9/7/2020 8:21:30 PM   
Mehring

I tend to keep fighters on their own bases and I've noticed for a while playing Axis that from 100% fuel supplied, they tend to run out quite quickly and way before their mission capacity is used. Fuel generally sticks at 2% at which point, you can still repeatedly assign them manually to ground attack missions though the AI seems not to assign them to other missions. Bomber air bases tend not to run out of fuel so easily. Is this WAD?

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
Post #: 1
RE: Fighter air bases fuel anomaly - 9/8/2020 8:56:29 AM   
Telemecus

In 12.05 airbases no longer supply fuel/ammo to air groups

in 11.0 yes as the airbases receive fuel/ammo based on their airgroup type (i.e. much less if you leave only fighters on bases). In general the fuel/ammo they will receive will be enough for AI missions, but not enough if you are flying a lot of manual missions. This is exacerbated further by the railway supply modifier the further east you go.

One solution is to reserve a proportion of airgroups at the start of every turn and assign from NR all airgroups at the end to the turn. This way you will always have far more airgroups during the logistics pulling in fuel and ammo to your bases than airgroups using it. If you do not have enough, increase the proportion going to NR and back from it.

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 2
RE: Fighter air bases fuel anomaly - 9/8/2020 1:47:56 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

In 12.05 airbases no longer supply fuel/ammo to air groups

in 11.0 yes as the airbases receive fuel/ammo based on their airgroup type (i.e. much less if you leave only fighters on bases). In general the fuel/ammo they will receive will be enough for AI missions, but not enough if you are flying a lot of manual missions. This is exacerbated further by the railway supply modifier the further east you go.

One solution is to reserve a proportion of airgroups at the start of every turn and assign from NR all airgroups at the end to the turn. This way you will always have far more airgroups during the logistics pulling in fuel and ammo to your bases than airgroups using it. If you do not have enough, increase the proportion going to NR and back from it.

Can't find that in the 12.05 change log. How does their supply now work then?

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: Fighter air bases fuel anomaly - 9/8/2020 2:12:12 PM   
Telemecus

Airgroups now get supplied directly from the dumps in towns near them. This is on-the-fly during the action turn rather than during the logistics phase. This is the same way infantry (non-motorised) units used to get fuel in v1.11 . But the bottom line is ignore the airbase for supply purposes.

This was the big change for v1.12 . Perhaps on of the two biggest changes between v1.12 and v1.11 . You might want to look at the patch notes from v1.12.0 onwards to get the details.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 4
RE: Fighter air bases fuel anomaly - 9/8/2020 5:13:02 PM   
Mehring

I'll take a look, thanks.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 5
RE: Fighter air bases fuel anomaly - 9/8/2020 5:23:48 PM   
Mehring

Found it. I have to say, the idea of drawing high octane aviation fuel from cities does not sound credible. Maybe biplane fuel but not for single wing fighters.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 6
RE: Fighter air bases fuel anomaly - 9/8/2020 6:09:19 PM   
Telemecus

Well the reason was to stop using airbases from fuelling up further to the west with a lower rail supply modifier and then moving them overground to the east. An example is given in post 937 here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4610612 . I am not sure I agree with this way of removing it. But at least the argument would be more about game play rather than realism.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 7
RE: Fighter air bases fuel anomaly - 9/8/2020 6:35:54 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Well the reason was to stop using airbases from fuelling up further to the west with a lower rail supply modifier and then moving them overground to the east. An example is given in post 937 here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4610612 . I am not sure I agree with this way of removing it. But at least the argument would be more about game play rather than realism.

Deary deary me, thanks for pointing me to the problem. I'm wondering how players will learn to "game" fixed air fields.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Fighter air bases fuel anomaly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI