Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anniversary coupon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Anniversary coupon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anniversary coupon - 9/4/2020 10:08:45 PM   
Zap

I have a couple weeks to use my anniversary coupon. This game has been in my sights, along with another. Comments so far seem to indicate a good game immersion level. So is, going be one of the few games I actually play? Whats your take on this game.
Post #: 1
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/4/2020 10:11:09 PM   
Twotribes

It is 4X so very complex on several levels, the main complaints are logistics but I have few problems with it if I don't rush a large army out on a thin logistics arm. I am not a big fan of total random generation but it has it's points for replay.

I am GLAD I bought it it is a good game over all.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/4/2020 11:51:46 PM   
eddieballgame

It is my 'Game of the Year', hands down.
There is the proverbial learning curve, (like any great game with depth & substance) but if I can grasp most of it...anyone can.
Without actually playing the game, I suggest viewing the plethora of videos (DasTactics, for example), the free manual & the constant postings in the forums.
It offers multiplayer (hotseat & 'pbem') & some modding (graphics) with more to come later per the 'dev'.
BTW, the 'dev', (Vic) has a great reputation & listens to his customers.

< Message edited by eddieballgame -- 9/4/2020 11:52:43 PM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 4:22:09 AM   
mroyer

Yes, I agree with the above. This is perhaps the best online wargame/4x game I have ever played. However, it doesn't come without considerable investment on the player's part. I struggled and am still struggling with various aspects of the game (like logistics mentioned above), but the game is so good I have forced myself through those issues. If you're that sort of person, this game will reward. If you don't like high hurdles and barriers to entry, then run... run far!

-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 9/5/2020 4:23:25 AM >

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 4
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 8:59:52 AM   
stryc

It's a good game on balance but do check out the various threads about the AI. Only verses another player will you see a true contest of who can master the various systems the best. (Spoiler Alert: The AI is no master.)

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 5
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 9:14:44 AM   
andyinkuwait

This is a single player game there is no opportunity to play against another player. You'll have to put up with the AI.

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 6
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 9:19:36 AM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: andyinkuwait

This is a single player game there is no opportunity to play against another player. You'll have to put up with the AI.

There is multiplayer via true 'hotseat' & Play by Email; which is just transferring a file, so any method other than email per transferring will also work.

< Message edited by eddieballgame -- 9/5/2020 9:21:45 AM >

(in reply to andyinkuwait)
Post #: 7
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 11:25:06 AM   
andyinkuwait

Ahh, yes, I had forgotten about the PBEM and hotseat modes.

You can access these on game start.

Post #: 8
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 4:06:59 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

quote:

There is multiplayer via true 'hotseat' & Play by Email; which is just transferring a file, so any method other than email per transferring will also work.

Interesting have you or has anyone played this through pbem? I be interested to know how you rate that play.

Post #: 9
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 7:10:41 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

quote:

quote:

Interesting have you or has anyone played this through pbem? I be interested to know how you rate that play.

I rate the 'pbem' system as superb.
I rate my play...not so much.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 10
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 8:20:34 PM   
Shilka

I like the looks of mechanics in this game a lot. I think it's pretty comprehensive, detailed and varied for a land based 4x game. The game has probably had some influence from several different (all good) games, like Civilization series, Alpha Centauri and Distant Worlds Universe. I am definitely comparing this game as a land version of Distant Worlds Universe. I'm a fan of everything 4x, consider DWU the best space 4X sim of all time, and would've probably used my coupon to buy that but since I already own it, I used it on Shadow Empires.

The logistic system is detailed, based on transport capacity of necessary resources, lengths, consumption and if I'm not wrong spoilage is taken into account as well. One thing that could use more variance could be diplomacy which is conducted through stratagem cards although of course diplomacy is not the point in this game. Like in real life during history and so many parts of the world, peace and cease fires are mainly used to buy time to build up and position forces, and so it is here.

Post #: 11
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/5/2020 8:36:13 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shilka

I like the looks of mechanics in this game a lot. I think it's pretty comprehensive, detailed and varied for a land based 4x game. The game has probably had some influence from several different (all good) games, like Civilization series, Alpha Centauri and Distant Worlds Universe. I am definitely comparing this game as a land version of Distant Worlds Universe. I'm a fan of everything 4x, consider DWU the best space 4X sim of all time, and would've probably used my coupon to buy that but since I already own it, I used it on Shadow Empires.

The logistic system is detailed, based on transport capacity of necessary resources, lengths, consumption and if I'm not wrong spoilage is taken into account as well. One thing that could use more variance could be diplomacy which is conducted through stratagem cards although of course diplomacy is not the point in this game. Like in real life during history and so many parts of the world, peace and cease fires are mainly used to buy time to build up and position forces, and so it is here.

I, highly, recommend Advanced Tactics Gold by the same 'dev'.

(in reply to Shilka)
Post #: 12
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/6/2020 2:00:22 AM   
Zap

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shilka

I, highly, recommend Advanced Tactics Gold by the same 'dev'.

I own Advanced Tactics Gold. I haven't played it as I write this. So, my issue is I hope all my future purchases will be game that I will play.

Post #: 13
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/6/2020 10:24:08 PM   
supswar

I used my anniversary coupon on it too. I think it's the best sci-fi strategy game available and his most intuitive game to play to date. Some things are still a bit obscure, but I highly recommend it if you are interested upon seeing a screenshot.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 14
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/12/2020 8:56:39 PM   
Rosseau

With all due respect, how could the game be "his most intuitive game to play to date," while also being a "bit obscure." If you check the forums in general, it is far from intuitive, and I guess that's part of the "challenge."

SE is a heavy-duty title that is way harder than my day job, personally. So if you are highly intelligent and up to a steep learning curve and challenge, than SE is for you. Be it known also that the dev has posted numerous updates and as usual done his best to help his customers.

(in reply to supswar)
Post #: 15
RE: Anniversary coupon - 9/12/2020 11:44:03 PM   
supswar

It's his most intuitive to date in that the trappings of a 4X mean you can get started with just a glance over the manual. You'll figure it out as you go. It's a bit obscure in that you need to dig in menus for info sometimes and it's someplace counter-intuitive.

With a game like "Victoria II" I had to read over the over the whole manual and player's guide before I had any idea what to do. Here you know you need to explore the map and the rest follows.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Anniversary coupon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI