Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NATO ICONs v03

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods >> NATO ICONs v03 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NATO ICONs v03 - 9/1/2020 10:30:30 PM   
rhinobones

Attached is my NATO icon set updated to version 3. Some icons are new, others have been cleaned up.

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil
Post #: 1
NATO ICONs v03 - 9/1/2020 10:31:51 PM   
rhinobones

Images

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 2
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 9/5/2020 12:42:18 AM   
dduckett

Thank you for these.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 3
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 9/8/2020 3:26:26 AM   
rhinobones

Feel free to add, delete and edit the files for your preference. I like to use paint.net for making mods.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to dduckett)
Post #: 4
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 11/18/2020 3:07:45 PM   
76mm

I understand that certain icons have effects on the units in the game (naval units, etc.). What happens if you change the icons in those slots, does the effect go away, or do they remain? In other words, if I changed a naval icon to another type of unit, will the game still think it is a naval unit? Main thing for me would be to get rid of all of the airmobile icons, which I don't use for WWII... I also wouldn't mind rearranging them so that they are in a more logical order than in the original file. Would that mess things up?

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 5
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 11/18/2020 4:19:43 PM   
Zovs

I do believe if you change for example the Armor symbol to say a Ship, then that ship looking counter is still going to respond and act like an armor unit.

So changing the counters symbol is only a cosmetic change, not functional.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 11/18/2020 4:45:55 PM   
76mm

Yeah, that's what I figured...so no way to re-use airmobile counters for WWII stuff I guess.

But I've also never seen a list of which NATO icons have actual effects on units. Air, naval, and coastal artillery I suppose, but what about other types of units? If I re-purpose a motorized icon as a foot icon, will it still have motorized movement rates?

For instance, I am really tired of hunting and pecking for the various unit types and would like to rearrange them so that they are in a more logical order, something like:
-Infantry, Motorized Infantry, Mechanized infantry
-armored cav, armor, heavy armor
-mortars, heavy mortars, infantry gun, artillery, heavy artillery

etc etc.

Possible, or will it cause weird game issues?

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 7
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 11/18/2020 5:08:45 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm
Yeah, that's what I figured...so no way to re-use airmobile counters for WWII stuff I guess.

If you have a need for additional land units, sure, you can repaint the 8 air mobile icons and use them as purely land troops. Since you are working with WW II scenarios you won’t have transport helicopters so the air mobility capability will never come into play. For your purposes you can treat the air mobile unit icons as land unit blanks. Note that one of the air mobile units also has artillery capability.

As far as rearranging the unit icon matrix, not going to happen.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 8
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 11/18/2020 5:15:14 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
If you have a need for additional land units, sure, you can repaint the 8 air mobile icons and use them as purely land troops. Since you are working with WW II scenarios you won’t have transport helicopters so the air mobility capability will never come into play. For your purposes you can treat the air mobile unit icons as land unit blanks.

But wouldn't those airmobile units with repurposed airmobile icons still be able to fly? I've never actually played a TOAW scenario with airmobile units, so not sure if it depends on air lift capacity or not?

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
As far as rearranging the unit icon matrix, not going to happen.

I didn't expect you to do it! But do you think there'd be any issues if I did it?

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 9
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 11/18/2020 5:48:44 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

But wouldn't those airmobile units with repurposed airmobile icons still be able to fly?

Airmobile units require “transport helicopters” not “air transports”. Yes, they would still be able to fly, but only if the appropriate helicopter transports are available. Since you specified WW II, there shouldn’t be an appreciable amount of helicopter lift available. Therefore, the airmobile capability would never be used. For mobility capabilities see paragraphs 16.1.3 and 16.1.4 in the manual.

quote:

I didn't expect you to do it! But do you think there'd be any issues if I did it?

Issues? Yes, the icons would no loner be associated with their proper capabilities.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 10
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 11/18/2020 10:44:03 PM   
76mm

quote:

Issues? Yes, the icons would no loner be associated with their proper capabilities.

Sorry for being dense, but do all/most of the icons have specific capabilities? I was thinking that maybe only naval/air/air mobile/coastal artillery/artillery(?) have hard-coded capabilities tied to icons?

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 11
RE: NATO ICONs v03 - 11/19/2020 2:00:51 AM   
rhinobones

The icon matrix has 128 slots, of which 73 have hard coded specific attributes. You can see them all identified in paragraph 16.1.

Colin Wright:

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods >> NATO ICONs v03 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI