Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Coup de Main attacks...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Coup de Main attacks... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coup de Main attacks... - 9/1/2020 10:04:20 PM   
The Land

So I am aware of two non-obvious countries - Greece and Norway - where one side or the other has a pretty much failsafe method to capture the capital (Greece will fall to the Axis in one turn, Norway to the Allies in 2 which raises at least a hypothetical chance of German interference...)

Is this kind of 'coup de main' attack a feature or a bug? I think we can all expect it for the Netherlands, but what about these less obvious nations?

Post #: 1
RE: Coup de Main attacks... - 9/2/2020 12:17:19 AM   
mdsmall

For the benefit of new players, how do each of these "coup de main" attacks work against Athens and Oslo, respectively?

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 2
RE: Coup de Main attacks... - 9/5/2020 12:53:43 AM   
Captjohn757

It may be possible with multiple air strikes and multiple upgraded tanks / mech units, but I've yet to see Athens fall to the Axis in one turn either in my playthroughs or in any of the youtube videos.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 3
RE: Coup de Main attacks... - 9/6/2020 9:00:51 AM   
El_Condoro

I've seen Rome taken in one turn by level 5 LR Transport attacks, so Athens can probably go the same way.

(in reply to Captjohn757)
Post #: 4
RE: Coup de Main attacks... - 9/10/2020 1:21:31 AM   
Captjohn757

I believe "The Land" is referring to Athens/Oslo when their respective countries have yet to surrender; attacking those cities or Rome, for that matter, with level 5 amphibious transports would infer a later game tactic likely by the U.S. --- one typically does not see the UK (AI or human) committing the MPPs to amphibious research to attain level 5 units. It wouldn't make any sense, obviously, for Germany to enter Greece, Norway and Italy with amphib. assaults.

(in reply to El_Condoro)
Post #: 5
RE: Coup de Main attacks... - 9/10/2020 9:43:02 AM   
The Land

Oslo contains a strength 1 Garrison. Athens contains a strength 5 Corps. Neither have any upgrades or entrenchment. You do not need any Amphibious tech at all to be able to destroy those units in one turn, nor to prevent your opponent moving in another unit before you can take the capital.

< Message edited by The Land -- 9/10/2020 9:45:13 AM >

(in reply to Captjohn757)
Post #: 6
RE: Coup de Main attacks... - 9/10/2020 4:23:30 PM   
mdsmall

What side are you referring to? The only way I can see it would be possible for the Axis to capture either Oslo or Athens in one turn without an amphibious invasion would be using paratroops with at least level 1 tech in long range aircraft, taking off from the tip of Jutland (for Oslo) or the southern border of Yugoslavia (for Athens). And even Athens could be tricky given that the two hexes north of it are mountainous terrain, so the paratroops would take casualties when landing. (I suppose they could go really out on limb and transport a paratroop unit with level 2 tech to Rhodes and then drop on the one clear terrain hex south of Athens). For the Allies, it seems even harder to see how they could capture either without a prior amphibious invasion to give them a beach head.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 7
RE: Coup de Main attacks... - 9/10/2020 6:29:54 PM   
Captjohn757

mdsmall has a point, although I fail to understand the logic behind the Axis even contemplating capturing Oslo when the game gives Norway to Germany in early 1940 (which makes a paradrop from Jutland a moot point since Germany would likely occupy both Denmark and Norway through decision events). The UK could mount an amphibious landing prior to the German occupation, though whatever unit goes ashore would risk losing both strength and supply, relying on air support and/or favorable combat results to effect a quick occupation of Oslo. Possible, though somewhat risky.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 8
RE: Coup de Main attacks... - 9/11/2020 8:27:57 AM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

Greece will fall to the Axis in one turn, Norway to the Allies in 2

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Coup de Main attacks... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI