Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/1/2020 2:03:51 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Playing a classic game against my sparring partner, ThundarLizard. I'm Allies. Thinking the momentum is going my way, in the West. The Russians as usual getting worked, but doing best hey can. So it's upto Yanks/British to get some work done.

I'm literally prepped for France landing in late 1943. I have to help Russia. I send in the Air Force, Paratroops, we've landed. August 1943. At least I got a Port, East of Brest. Obviously, he sends Panzer, Army, couple Corps over. Perfect, at least some relief. He kills couple paratroops + corp. Rest of my troops leave, don't care. Nothing I can do, we know that,

What happens? From September 1943 until June 1944, every single turn, either England or France had rain. Seriously? Only for two of my turns, I could Bomb a Danish insignificant city. Yippee.

Game is not over, I'm just ranting, I don't remember the rain being this bad on one side or the other on the English channel. Dealing with Super Tanks blasted all my landings in Greece, Holy Lands, and always Russia.
Post #: 1
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/1/2020 3:02:57 AM   
Cpuncher

I had a game not long ago my Luftwaffe flew mission like once in an entire year on the Russian front. Almost made me want to disband all the fking bombers who's been sitting around doing nothing.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 2
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/1/2020 3:48:01 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

I understand randomness and such, but a weather report wouldn't hurt. Major setup. He wasn't that stout, despite pushing couple paratroops + Corp off the beach. The 9-month baby he gave birth to, Level 4 Panzers, they are all over the place crushing everything. I got so desperate for some non-rain action, went to Greece, took the whole thing in strength, had to leave, because Super Panzers were going thru me like butter.

You want a game? I'll take either side. I'm almost a glutton for the Allies. Not a fan those Fascist Nazis. We can go ELO, you pick sides.

Dedicating that year with a song:

Kentucky rain keeps pouring down
And up ahead's another town
That I'll go walking thru
With the rain in my shoes,
Searchin for you
In the cold Kentucky rain,
In the cold Kentucky rain

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 9/1/2020 3:55:43 AM >

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 3
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/1/2020 4:17:56 AM   
Cpuncher

Yes I know we already talked in PM. Let me figure out how my current game against Fafnir is going for some turns first. He just DOW USSR on me, and I got chocolate in my pants already, seeing how his super Panzers been clean killing my fully mountain entrenched lev 1 units in Algeria, I don't have much confidence in my ability to hold the Dnepr line.

Post #: 4
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/1/2020 3:36:26 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Here we go. Rain, rain, rain. An entire Turn, an entire Month, will it be entire year? Looking up the historical records of WW2, the Americans bombed Berlin quit a bit in Winter months.

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 9/1/2020 3:42:28 PM >

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 5
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/1/2020 3:42:59 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpuncher

Yes I know we already talked in PM. Let me figure out how my current game against Fafnir is going for some turns first. He just DOW USSR on me, and I got chocolate in my pants already, seeing how his super Panzers been clean killing my fully mountain entrenched lev 1 units in Algeria, I don't have much confidence in my ability to hold the Dnepr line.

based on what I've read in the War in Europe forums, I expect this is a pretty typical game against Fafnir :)

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 6
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/2/2020 4:31:01 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

What happens? From September 1943 until June 1944, every single turn, either England or France had rain. Seriously?

I've made a note of this to look at the UK's weather settings. It is random so this is not impossible, but if the % chance of rain in the various seasons is too high then we can always lower it a bit to reduce the chance of this.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 7
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/2/2020 5:27:58 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

@BillyRunacre --- Thanks. I'm in an absolute classic game with my usual sparring partner, ThundarLizard. This game is on edge, so I'm complaining more than my usual (if that's even possible). I'm sure the LizardMan wants less snow in Russia :)

When two players are of equal skill level, the "luck factor" against the way your play the poker hand seems to stick out more. We all want the critical hit roll, sub dive, etc.

I'm guessing developers have the weather to certain size of maps. One idea, would be introduce a new kind of weather, call it "Light Snow" or "Light Rain". Aircraft can fly at 35% to 50% of their effectiveness. Most of our ideas lean to Tactical game, but this is Strategic game, cannot have it all.

To follow-Up: "It happens" --- Forrest Gump. Same weather luck for Germany if they want to go for Belgium/Lexingburg/Netherlands with Operands late '39.

Sandstorms drive me crazy too.

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 9/2/2020 5:31:16 PM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 8
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/3/2020 4:19:54 AM   
ThunderLizard2

Agree with Elvis on this one although in this particular match Axis would be toast without this year of rain.

Post #: 9
RE: 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant - 9/5/2020 1:57:48 AM   
Captjohn757

Seems to me there should be at least a chance of launching an air strike despite the weather; grounding all aircraft throughout a particular weather zone is largely unrealistic. Case in point: the U.S. 460th bomb group operating out of the Foggia/Spinazzola area (Adriatic side of southern Italy) flew their B-24 Liberator missions on 17 separate days in Nov., 1944, and 19 separate days in Dec. '44 . . . this despite the notoriously miserable, wet, cold Italian winter. These were not local milk runs, but primarily long-range missions into Germany and Austria (the Ploesti raids occurred late summer/early fall of '44). They flew only five missions in Jan. '45, but picked up the pace again in Feb. '45 with 20 missions in 28 days. Maximum effort. Total number of weeks down time from initial deployment (Jan. '44) until the end of the war: ZERO.

(in reply to ThunderLizard2)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> 8 Months of rain, I lost my mind rant Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI