Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Truck stops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Truck stops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Truck stops - 8/31/2020 6:49:31 AM   
andyinkuwait

To extend supply, should I put truck stops along a road on green hexes or after supply from SHQ starts to tail off.

This is with the overlay on to show me where supply tails off along the road.
Post #: 1
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 8:08:21 AM   
eddieballgame

I, generally, space mine about 6 hexes apart followed by a Supply Base.

(in reply to andyinkuwait)
Post #: 2
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 8:32:34 AM   
HansLemurson

The way the formula works at the moment, it doesn't really matter where the truck stop is placed, so long as it comes before the capacity starts degrading.
It adds a one-time non-stacking bonus of 50/75/100 "Extension points" (depending on Supply Base level)to any trucks passing through it, and these Extension Points will be consumed preferentially before any more of the Logistics Truck's normal AP are.

Just make sure to put it before any major forks in the road, so that all branches can benefit, and it's advised to keep it within 6 tiles of a city so that it doesn't contribute to Administrative Strain.

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 3
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 9:16:44 AM   
eddieballgame

I recommend reading the manual, starting at;

4.5.4. EXTENDING YOUR LOGISTICAL ACTION POINTS through 4.5.6. PRIVATE AND PUBLIC TRUCK LOGISTICS ASSETS

(in reply to HansLemurson)
Post #: 4
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 9:44:17 AM   
andyinkuwait

This may be a dumb question. Is one oil/ammo/100 x soldier equivalent to 1 logistic point ?

Post #: 5
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 10:09:59 AM   
HansLemurson

There's a table in section 5.11.1.7 of the manual, and it says that Infantry has a weight of 5, food and ammo have a weight of 1, and fuel apparently a has a weight of 0 (claims its piped). That seems a bit odd, but I can find no other table.

(in reply to andyinkuwait)
Post #: 6
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 4:04:08 PM   
Philo32b

Are you talking about truck stations or supply bases? I'm getting a little of both in the responses.

You can put a truck station to extend the reach of your logistics, but there is a new rule as of 1.05 that carries an increasing "refocusing" penalty for each station added. (-25% for the first, then -50% , then -75%, and no extension beyond that.) Basically, you get the full (new) truck station's range, minus the refocusing penalty. If you add a supply base you can a one-time extension as HansLemurson notes. (One-time for just that last truck station? Or does each new truck station give you the ability to add another supply base?)

If you have dirt roads and a level 1 truck station in your SHQ city, you can put a supply base on hex 10 to get you to hex 15 without falloff. At hex 15, you could put another truck station, which would get you to extend seven more hexes (possibly adding supply base to extend farther).

(in reply to HansLemurson)
Post #: 7
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 4:09:33 PM   
Philo32b

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

If you are talking about truck stations 6 hexes apart, I did this for a long time, too, before someone called me out on it. You can go almost twice as far as 6 hexes without logistic points fall off. (Ten hexes on dirt road.) You will want to go farther, too, to reduce manpower loads, possible administrative strain, and shrinking your ultimate distance you can send logistics with the new refocusing rule.

Post #: 8
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 5:19:46 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Philo32b

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

If you are talking about truck stations 6 hexes apart, I did this for a long time, too, before someone called me out on it. You can go almost twice as far as 6 hexes without logistic points fall off. (Ten hexes on dirt road.) You will want to go farther, too, to reduce manpower loads, possible administrative strain, and shrinking your ultimate distance you can send logistics with the new refocusing rule.

4.5.4. EXTENDING YOUR LOGISTICAL
ACTION POINTS
At the fringes of our Logistical Network (between range 4 and 8 from the
City) we see that the number of Logistical Points is getting low and at range
9 it disappears.

Per the manual, 10 hexes appear to be too far.
I will add, by using this...formula, I generally have zero logistic issues.

< Message edited by eddieballgame -- 8/31/2020 5:46:02 PM >

(in reply to Philo32b)
Post #: 9
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 6:51:57 PM   
Philo32b

You are absolutely right about the manual there. The example that the manual uses there is a privately owned Transport Hub 1, which gives only 50 AP. You can see the icon for it on Page 127 and in the description there. 50 AP will only give you an optimal range of 50 AP, or 5 hexes on a dirt road. The manual shouldn't have used this as an example as it is pretty confusing. Most players will either build their own Truck Station or buy out the private option, which then upgrades it to Truck Station.

A Truck station, level 1, has an optimal range of 100 AP (Page 312). A dirt road logistical truck movement cost is 10 AP per hex (Page 156). So that gives you 10 hexes within optimal truck range at level 1 station. (Plus you can extend with supply base, of course.)

Your logistical problems went away--as mine did when I used to do the exact same thing as you do--but you are limiting your use of the resources. Your metal and IP and manpower costs will be higher. If several of these truck stations or supply bases are farther than five hexes from your city, you will start to get administrative strain. Plus, with the refocusing rule, a limit of four truck stations can extend the reach from your SHQ (the original station plus three extending the reach). If you limit yourself to 6 hexes between stations, that is a limit of 28 hexes long (6 for the first three, and then 10 after the fourth, regardless of any more truck stations). If you use 10 between stations your reach will be 40 hexes (and it might be a lot farther if you can use a supply base after each truck station, which I am not sure about).

If you are putting stations every 10 hexes and still seeing problems, it isn't the distance but the load--the truck station needs to be upgraded to handle all the resources, soldiers, and ammo being transported along it.

Post #: 10
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 6:55:02 PM   
Philo32b

I will add that I wish the game included some kind of filter so that players could visually see the logistic range of one Truck/Rail station. Advanced Tactics Gold had that feature, and it made things so much simpler.

(in reply to Philo32b)
Post #: 11
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 7:12:24 PM   
eddieballgame

I will always (when enough funds are available) buy the private Truck Station & then proceed to upgrade as resources permit.
Upgrading all Truck Stations is another goal that appears to be sufficient on the small planets that I, generally, only play on.
I admit to not grasping the entire concept of the logistics in this game, but I sure do like those 'green roads'.

(in reply to Philo32b)
Post #: 12
RE: Truck stops - 8/31/2020 8:33:45 PM   
andyinkuwait

Another issue I have had is my SHQ close to another city (5 hexes away). I conquered that city. Both cities have a private truck stop in them and are connected by a dirt road.

Immediately after the turn of the conquest I had huge bottlenecks on that road. However, everybody was being supplied except no replacements for any of my Militia guys (game start on Tech3 so ALL my troops are militia)

The road was clear (no enemies cutting it) the SHQ was sending out and receiving supplies. There were no junctions.

When I looked more closely, two of the road hexes had all of their truck points used up but I can't track by what. There were 600 points on each of those hexes which was totally eaten up but not by my militia troops, that were using up minor food and fuel and maybe ammo.

I don't really know what is going on and I especially don't know how to prevent it or how to know if and when there will be a militia replacement supply problem.

< Message edited by andyinkuwait -- 8/31/2020 8:57:34 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Truck stops - 9/1/2020 4:27:59 PM   
DTurtle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Philo32b

I will add that I wish the game included some kind of filter so that players could visually see the logistic range of one Truck/Rail station. Advanced Tactics Gold had that feature, and it made things so much simpler.

(in reply to Philo32b)
Post #: 14
RE: Truck stops - 9/1/2020 5:54:03 PM   
Philo32b

Thank you, DTurtle. I had noticed the Zone Log Assets box, but I thought that was just to find the assets. I didn't know it highlighted the logistics for that asset. I will have to check back to that as my logistics gets more complicated to see if that helps make it more manageable.

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 15
RE: Truck stops - 9/4/2020 4:55:13 AM   
gmsitton

I believe that the manual states that the first hex counts toward the logistical distance, so a 100 AP truck station will provide a range of 9 hexes from the source.

(in reply to Philo32b)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Truck stops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI