Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

S&I

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> S&I Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
S&I - 8/29/2020 4:12:26 PM   
pjg100

In v1.03, the following change was made to the game engine:

"Intelligence spotting of hidden units under FoW now capped at 5 units per turn."

This appears to say that no matter how many of your majors have researched S&I, thereby increasing the chances of each opposing unit under FOW being revealed (up to, if I understand the mechanism correctly, 12% per Axis unit if UK, US, USSR and China have all researched S&I to level 3), and no matter how many opposing units are currently hidden under FOW, the maximum number of units that will be revealed is five. If I understand this correctly, it seems to me that there is zero incentive for either side to research S&I after the first major on your side reaches level 3. If I am not understanding this modification correctly, please let me know.
Post #: 1
RE: S&I - 8/29/2020 4:51:59 PM   
Elessar2

That's definitely something that needs to be an option in the editor.

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 2
RE: S&I - 8/29/2020 5:59:46 PM   
Torplexed

There still is the research boost, which is the only reason I ever invest in spying and intelligence. Randomly finding out for sure that there is a light cruiser parked in Boston or a garrison in Cairo doesn't really influence my play much.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 3
RE: S&I - 8/29/2020 8:49:21 PM   
pjg100

I have found the FOW reveal to be useful from time to time in the naval game.

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 4
RE: S&I - 8/30/2020 4:25:47 AM   
FOARP

It gets very spammy as it’s done unit-by-unit. Ideally it would instead be done over a particular area (eg., “hidden units revealed in Northern France”) but this would be tricky to implement - if done at random most of the time the areas would be random bits of ocean or neutral countries.

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 5
RE: S&I - 8/30/2020 3:03:27 PM   
Torplexed

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOARP

It gets very spammy as it’s done unit-by-unit. Ideally it would instead be done over a particular area (eg., “hidden units revealed in Northern France”) but this would be tricky to implement - if done at random most of the time the areas would be random bits of ocean or neutral countries.

It would seem more realistic if you could direct an area where your spying assets might give you intelligence. Sort of like a chance supplemental scouting feature. As the German player you would would probably be more interested in detecting what units are currently in southern Britain or the central USSR, rather than whats lurking over in Ohio.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 6
RE: S&I - 8/30/2020 6:14:48 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

There's vast opportunity to change how FOW works. I'd like to get away from exact frozen positions, give more randomness of information, tech investments, diplo, maybe "sort of close carrier information". Huge changes could be done S&I.

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 7
RE: S&I - 8/30/2020 8:43:50 PM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

There's vast opportunity to change how FOW works. I'd like to get away from exact frozen positions, give more randomness of information, tech investments, diplo, maybe "sort of close carrier information". Huge changes could be done S&I.

Go to the extreme and we could even have dummy/fake armies etc, showing up in your intel reports. I guess it would be too much trouble to implement though.

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 8
RE: S&I - 8/31/2020 1:31:03 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjg100

In v1.03, the following change was made to the game engine:

"Intelligence spotting of hidden units under FoW now capped at 5 units per turn."

Thanks for pointing this out and I can confirm that this is not accurate or applicable. This must have slipped in when we were contemplating some changes to speed things up here and I likely forgot to remove it after it wasn't finalized.

I'll remove this mention in the change notes for the next update.

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 9
RE: S&I - 8/31/2020 3:17:27 PM   
pjg100

Excellent thanks Hubert. Glad that this isn't applicable.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> S&I Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI