Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Norway

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Norway Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Norway - 8/26/2020 2:02:12 PM   
Taifun

Spring 1940
France declares war to Norway and captures the country. The Narvik convoys sail towards Britain!
- What will happen to Norway when France surrenders? Will they be liberated or will they suffer the British occupation?
- Why do the Norwegian convoys sail towards Britain if France invaded?

La clé est l'état d'esprit
Post #: 1
RE: Norway - 8/26/2020 7:43:54 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taifun

- Why do the Norwegian convoys sail towards Britain if France invaded?

I suspect there is one answer about the convoys file checking whether certain Norway hexes are in Allied hands and not distinguishing between French and British control.

There is probably another answer and Norwegian merchant captains not wanting to sail south past German u-boats and raiders.

(I'd guess that if France surrenders so will Norway, but couldn't tell you for sure...)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 2
RE: Norway - 8/27/2020 12:17:08 PM   
BillRunacre

All convoy routes have to be scripted and we don't have a setting for it to check exactly who a country may have surrendered to, and this situation is a bit unusual so it's not one that can be catered for I'm afraid.

Norway will remain Allied unless or until it is liberated by Axis forces, this could of course include Partisans so if France is going to fall then make sure some non-French Allied units are in place to prevent an Axis take-over.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 3
RE: Norway - 8/30/2020 10:27:10 AM   
Fafnir

After the surrender of France all Norway turned to axis except where UK units were placed.
The UK ships hold the ports so the convoy goes still to UK even though the cities, mines are in axis hands.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 4
RE: Norway - 8/30/2020 4:56:25 PM   
Taifun

The Situation in Norway is weird. When France capitulated the whole country joined the Axis but as a British Infantry corps was based in Oslo the country remained in Allied control. The town of Narvik was in our hands but the port was still British being occupied by a CL. The convoy sails towards the UK and they get the 40 MMPs from the mines!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Taifun -- 8/30/2020 5:33:59 PM >

La clé est l'état d'esprit

(in reply to Fafnir)
Post #: 5
RE: Norway - 8/30/2020 6:27:11 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Very strange, I guess the key is having the Brits capture Norway.

IMO the penalty for the Allies to attack Norway early is way to light. US 5-10% towards Axis & Swiss (??) 10-15%. No Sweden, Finland or SU? Makes no sense.

Also its another glaring example of why there shouldn't be so many LRATs available to the Allies early. I see no reason the the French & Canadians get LRATs. GB LRATs shouldn't be available until '41 unless researched.

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 6
RE: Norway - 8/30/2020 9:27:29 PM   
Fafnir

The attack of Norway was historically prepared by the UK (Plan R 4). The french may have assisted as planned in the Finland winter war intervention which is also reflected in the game.
So it is an realistic option which may have taken place if Germany did not attack Norway (which happened here).
It would also be weired if two of the greatest european naval powers did not have the power for one LRAT.
What I found strange is that the french units/captued cities in Norway surrendered to the Axis. They should have gone neutral as it happens in southern france or the med (or turn to anglo-french).

Game wise this happed because the Axis did not attack Norway. It was planned to help defending the country, then it would also not matter if french or uk units are involved since it would have been liberated.

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 7
RE: Norway - 8/30/2020 9:52:16 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Its my understanding Fafnir that you use LRAT's a lot in your tactics.

The game in no way represents the LRAT capabilities of GB, France or Canada in 1940.

R4 depended on the Norwegians and Swedes agreeing not an attack like yours in this game.

"The Allies devised a plan to use the Soviet Union's 30 November 1939 attack on Finland as a cover for seizing both the Swedish ore fields in the north and the Norwegian harbours through which it was shipped to Germany. The plan was to get Norwegian and Swedish permission to send an expeditionary force to Finland across Sápmi, ostensibly to help the Finns. Once in place, they were to proceed to take control of Swedish harbours and mines, to occupy cities such as Gävle and Luleå and to shut down German access to Swedish ore. That would present Norway and Sweden with a fait accompli.

Because of the danger of Allied or German occupation and of the war being waged on their territory, both the Swedes and the Norwegians refused the transit requests."

(in reply to Fafnir)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Norway Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI