Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Production and Zones

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Production and Zones Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Production and Zones - 8/26/2020 4:41:33 AM   
solops

Which resources / capacities get shared between zones and which don't? I.e. which stuff is in a pool shared by all zones and which are restricted to the zones in which they were generated? This is unclear and if it is documented clearly, I missed it.

< Message edited by solops -- 8/26/2020 4:51:38 AM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Post #: 1
RE: Production and Zones - 8/26/2020 11:36:36 AM   
Soar_Slitherine

Everything that's in the SHQ stockpiles tab in the left-side panel or in the Items tab in the bottoms panel is tracked on a per-inventory basis and needs to be shipped around by the logistics system in order to get where it needs to go (but shipping water, fuel, power or industrial points costs no logistics points, it just requires a logistics connection that has some in the first place). It's important to note that the SHQ stockpile is its own separate inventory, not a pool of what its zones have, though its maximum storage capacity is determined by pooling its attached zones' spare storage capacity for each resource.

Production of some more abstract resources (most importantly Bureaucratic Points, Political Points and the various bonus points) is pooled globally, while the benefits produced by some assets (happiness or militancy, for example) are applied directly to the characteristics of the local zone.

< Message edited by Soar_Slitherine -- 8/26/2020 11:40:07 AM >

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 2
RE: Production and Zones - 8/26/2020 2:04:10 PM   
solops

Wow. That explains a bit but raises more questions.
1. "Everything that's in the SHQ stockpiles tab in the left-side panel or in the Items tab in the bottoms panel is tracked on a per-inventory basis" What does a per inventory basis mean? Each item, like metal?
2. How much does it cost for these things to be shipped? Is there a report?
3. "the SHQ stockpile is its own separate inventory" What other inventories are there?
4. Re SHQ inventory is "not a pool of what its zones have"...What do they (zones) have and where is it reported? And how is it utilizzed?

I am not being intentionally obtuse, but the whole thing does not follow an intuitive path (for me) and begs for clarification. I am a retired engineer and maybe I am over-thinking it. I am trying to figure out what I have available to produce with in various zones and I cannot do it with the information available. I have no way to avoid overtaxing my multi-zone system because I have no idea what I have, where it is available and how stuff ships around...and how that shipping may impact other things like supply distribution.

< Message edited by solops -- 8/26/2020 2:11:04 PM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 3
RE: Production and Zones - 8/26/2020 3:14:13 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

Every SHQ, zone and unit has its own inventory. You can check the inventory of the zone of the currently selected hex in the Items tab of the bottom panel, and the selected unit's inventory in one of the subtabs of the unit tab.

During logistics resolution, zones and units request resources and replacements they need, their SHQ ships those resources to them (within the bounds of available logistical capacity), and then zones produce resources and ask their SHQ to pick up any excess beyond a small local stockpile (again, subject to available logistical capacity - if lacking, this will generate a backlog of resources in the zone inventory). Any points left over from this process can be used to perform manual logistics operations during your turn, like strategic movement and unit equipment upgrades.

You can check the logistics points required to move most things in section 5.11.1.7 of the manual. There are some statistics regarding logistics available under Stats in the top right, and with a SHQ selected, one of the bottom panel unit tab sub-tabs lists how many logistics points' worth of shipping was requested from the SHQ and how much of that it managed to fulfill. The right-side panel has view modes that allow you to inspect details about your logistical network, like where your bottlenecks are, how many logistical points reached a given hex and how many are left after everything that was shipped. You can also use the traffic lights order mode to get further micro-detail on what your logistics network is doing and make micro-adjustments to it, but that starts to get pretty obtuse.

You should always try to avoid bottlenecks and have some spare logistics points available on all your logistical routes, or your logistics network is likely to have difficulties. Until you are much more familiar with the logistics system, if there are bottlenecks, your first resort should always be to upgrade your truck depots or rail stations in nearby zones. Up-to-date versions of the game will automatically distribute your logistical points in a fashion which is usually serviceable, though often not the most optimal possible.

< Message edited by Soar_Slitherine -- 8/26/2020 3:15:19 PM >

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 4
RE: Production and Zones - 8/26/2020 6:49:46 PM   
solops

Good answer. I still have questions, but I need to think carefully before asking.

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Production and Zones Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI