Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Malta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Malta Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Malta - 8/26/2020 2:22:30 AM   
canuckgamer

Playing my first PBEM game as the Axis. If I bomb Malta does that decrease it's impact on my supply in North Africa? What about bombing the port? I think that having a ship adjacent to the port reduces supply to the garrison.

I've took Alexandria by amphibious assault a few turns ago when my opponent did not garrison it and am adjacent to Cairo. I assume my supply situation will improve if I am able to take Cairo.
Post #: 1
RE: Malta - 8/26/2020 2:33:03 AM   
Platoonist

Malta also has a fortified town (Valetta)which will continue to provide some supply to the garrison even with both ports blockaded. When it comes to Malta being a thorn in the side, the only permanent solution is to capture the place. I don't think there is a way to mitigate it.

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 8/26/2020 2:48:28 AM >

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Malta - 8/27/2020 2:17:48 AM   
canuckgamer

Okay, I thought bombing might have an effect on how much Malta hinders Axis supply because historically when the Axis did bomb it heavily it helped supply get through to North Africa.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Malta - 8/27/2020 2:51:07 AM   
Platoonist

The manual states that Malta typically has only a 15-20 % chance per turn of reducing the supply values of Axis controlled ports in Libya and Egypt. I'm assuming this to mean that the island is always under some form of siege by Axis naval and air forces in an abstracted manner. But as the Axis player, you don't have any control over when Malta acts as an impediment or not, and by itself it's not enough to completely shut down the island.

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 4
RE: Malta - 8/28/2020 8:34:41 AM   
Will952

I'm fairly sure I did read that keeping Malta's supply under 5 reduces the chance of the supply hinderance effect for Axis forces in NA firing. So if you have the resources to keep it under bombardment but not enough to capture it you can do that (although in those circumstances it'd surely be worth it just to commit the necessary troops to take it).

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Malta - 8/28/2020 2:29:14 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will952

I'm fairly sure I did read that keeping Malta's supply under 5 reduces the chance of the supply hinderance effect for Axis forces in NA firing. So if you have the resources to keep it under bombardment but not enough to capture it you can do that (although in those circumstances it'd surely be worth it just to commit the necessary troops to take it).

Yes, you are quite correct. I never think to read the patch notes.

SUPPLY SCRIPT events such as the Malta Supply Reduction event for Axis resources in North Africa, will require #SOURCE_POSITION units to have a strength >= 5 or the event will not fire. Suppression as opposed to outright capture of locations such as Malta will now be possible in order to negate the supply reduction effects.

Of course keeping Malta under continuous blockade means the location of some of your ships are exposed to the Brits and vulnerable to counterattack. But, its a least some means of securing the supply situation in North Africa.

(in reply to Will952)
Post #: 6
RE: Malta - 8/28/2020 4:38:11 PM   
Taifun

SUPPLY SCRIPT events such as the Malta Supply Reduction event for Axis resources in North Africa, will require #SOURCE_POSITION units to have a strength >= 5 or the event will not fire. Suppression as opposed to outright capture of locations such as Malta will now be possible in order to negate the supply reduction effects.

That is nice to know!

La clé est l'état d'esprit

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Malta Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI