Need some help figuring out difference

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

1nutworld

Need some help figuring out difference

Post by 1nutworld »

Hi everyone.

Need some help from our air force vets/members as this navy guy isn't comprehending the difference in roles between what a Rivet Counter v Joint Stars A/C is; other than 20+ years of improved computer technology.

I ask because I am trying to gain as much intelligence of enemy ground forces in the Thin Red Line scenario and at I sent the Rivet Joint AC on a surveillance patrol and then did the same with Joint Stars and got much more info.

Thanks everyone.
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) 1990-1994.
Rory Noonan

RE: Need some help figuring out difference

Post by Rory Noonan »

I presume you mean Rivet Joint; Rivet Counters are a different thing entirely [;)]

Rivet Joint is a passive ELINT platform that passively collects and analyses emissions; Joint STARs is an active synthetic aperture radar (SAR) platform used primarily to detect ground units.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

The other advantage of J-Star is the GMTI (Ground moving target indicator) which uses the SAR to calculate a lot more info.

Very handy info for an army guy.

While the Rivet Joint depends on electronic emissions, so good countermeasures and use of passive systems will make it less useful; the J-Star detects a vehicle that is moving based on sequential hits on the SAR. So if a target is moving it is vulnerable to detection where remaining stationary it has a good chance of being undetected.

Indirectly the J-Star has a neutralizing effect on a savvy enemy who wants to avoid detection - but on the other had, relying on J-Star alone makes you vulnerable to deception.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
1nutworld

Post by 1nutworld »

ORIGINAL: apache85

I presume you mean Rivet Joint; Rivet Counters are a different thing entirely [;)]

Rivet Joint is a passive ELINT platform that passively collects and analyses emissions; Joint STARs is an active synthetic aperture radar (SAR) platform used primarily to detect ground units.

LONG night at work.....yes you are correct. And corrected in above post, Thanks!
1nutworld

Post by 1nutworld »

ORIGINAL: apache85

So basically I was attempting to use this particular A/C (Rivet Joint) for a role that I wasn't going to get the information from it, I was hoping, and needed to use Joint STARs instead.
1nutworld

Post by 1nutworld »

Thank you for the help. This is why I love these forums. The level of expertise and information you can get simply by asking a question is incredible!
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

From what I see Rivet Joint doesn't provide much functional use in CMO. It gathers info, brings it back, and that info is added to a database of electronic signal info. Then its used for eavesdropping, cryptography analysis, and EW planning for potential strikes, etc.

I would think its best use is as a way to force some radars on before the shooting starts for SAM and radar locations. I can also picture a scenario where if you keep an RJ at a specific location for X hours, you can disrupt enemy comms or radars for X time. Something like that.
Karejar

Post by Karejar »

This forum is another of the things that makes the game bigger and better. Every day you can learn something . Thanks to all the contributors.[:)]
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

ORIGINAL: 1nutworld
Need some help from our air force vets/members as this navy guy isn't comprehending the difference in roles between what a Rivet Counter v Joint Stars A/C is; other than 20+ years of improved computer technology.

Rivet Counter is the person pre-flighting the jet. :-)
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

Rivet Counter is the person pre-flighting the jet. :-)
Is he redundant if the aircraft is spot welded[:D]
Formerly Goodwood

SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw
Is he redundant if the aircraft is spot welded[:D]

Then it falls under a different program:

Crack Checker
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Also the description of the unfortunate USAF Security Police person who had the graveyard shift guarding B-52's on alert at the Northern Tier SAC bases.

“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
1nutworld

Post by 1nutworld »

ORIGINAL: stilesw

Also the description of the unfortunate USAF Security Police person who had the graveyard shift guarding B-52's on alert at the Northern Tier SAC bases.

[:D]
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

ORIGINAL: stilesw

SAC is dead. Long live AFGSC!
1nutworld

Post by 1nutworld »

Glad everyone is having a little fun with my brain fart in this thread! Sadly I know I deserve these responses, but have to admit the humor is making me laugh.
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

SAC is dead. Long live AFGSC!
That's true. But I'm not going to be the one to tell Curtis E. Lemay's ghost!

Attachments
Lemay.jpg
Lemay.jpg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 322 times
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Glad everyone is having a little fun with my brain fart in this thread! Sadly I know I deserve these responses, but have to admit the humor is making me laugh.

It's all about having fun. If we're not having fun, then something is wrong.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”