Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Setting LCU objectives

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Setting LCU objectives Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 1:37:44 PM   
Chris21wen

I understand how it all works but what I've never really got to grips with is timing. This probably needs some explanation so here goes.

The divs of the 25A have vaious objectives set at start, all 100% preped for Alor Star, Kota Bahru, Patani and Singora. The objectives for the last two need to be changed as you alrady control them and therefore pointless.

The quickest route to Singas is to follow the west coast road from Patani. In Scen 2, as well as the normal bases they are a number of dot bases so do you prep for

a. each base in turn on the theory something is better than nothing but sufferes from less chance of getting a bonus

or

b. for the main object, Singas where 100% prep is guarunteed but causes a problem if a stand is made at Jahore Bahru or even earlier.

Obviously there's HQs to consider with the same delemma.

This is an example, it equally apllies to Burma, Luzon or anywhere, base bbase or main objective?
Post #: 1
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 1:47:46 PM   
RangerJoe

I personally would prep for Singapore but there is a faster way to get there.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 1:58:36 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen
The quickest route to Singas is to follow the west coast road from Patani. In Scen 2, as well as the normal bases they are a number of dot bases so do you prep for

a. each base in turn on the theory something is better than nothing but sufferes from less chance of getting a bonus

or

b. for the main object, Singas where 100% prep is guarunteed but causes a problem if a stand is made at Jahore Bahru or even earlier.

Quickest route to Singas is landing in Singas on day 1. Second quickest is Mersing gambit.

As for a/b the simple criteria I use is to understand if there is a major base with a big battle waiting for me in 1-2 months time. Then I prepare for the battle, else it is a stepwise prepping, cause you still get some bonus even with 0% prep. If there are major battles waiting in between, prepare for it instead. Only experience can help you identify the possible future big battles. E.g. China always have Changsha, Sian and Chungking hot spots (with many potential others but those can differ). Early Burma always have Rangoon scuffle of some size. Malaya always has Singers, and it is wise to start prepping for that from day 1, cause all other Malaya battles are rear guard action.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 3
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 2:12:40 PM   
RogerJNeilson

I am writing from an Allied standpoint, but the only time I really am concerned abut prep is when I am landing somewhere. Lack of prep on a landing causes major issues of losses and disruption leaving you open to attack and nasty things happening. Other than that I always work on the basis that when I attack it will not be subtle but will be very overwhelming - so prep seldom is a factor. Prep takes ages - far longer than in real life - and is a pain. What you can do is prep for a target, get to 100% and because you switch prep to another target you can often end up with a carryover sometimes 30+ prep already for the new target but that I think is dependent on the state of your units.

In reality any sensible planning would do the if, then, and routine and nt just prep for one operation, but the follow ons as well

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Currently in 1945 of my sole surviving PBEM which has been running since the game came out.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 4
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 3:34:50 PM   
geofflambert

I prep to defend whatever base the unit is occupying. Hope it helps. Put them on rest if you can and get that experience level up, but they won't be digging in. An independent engineer unit will get that done whilst they train.

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 10/20 it is 3/45.

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 5
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 3:36:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I prep to defend whatever base the unit is occupying. Hope it helps. Put them on rest if you can and get that experience level up, but they won't be digging in. An independent engineer unit will get that done whilst they train.

If there are engineers in the unit, they will work on the base.

― Julia Child

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 6
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 3:53:28 PM   
Q-Ball

In the case of Singapore, as Japan all troops on the Malayan peninsular should be prepping for Singapore. That's where the big battle will be. If the Allies try to stop you at Johore Bharu or anywhere else, they are doing you a favor.

Nearly all Allied players will move the largest units into Singapore ASAP, and just leave enough units on the peninsula to force you to march down (rather than drop paras and rail)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 4:30:17 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

or

Quickest route to Singas is landing in Singas on day 1. Second quickest is Mersing gambit.

As for a/b the simple criteria I use is to understand if there is a major base with a big battle waiting for me in 1-2 months time. Then I prepare for the battle, else it is a stepwise prepping, cause you still get some bonus even with 0% prep. If there are major battles waiting in between, prepare for it instead. Only experience can help you identify the possible future big battles. E.g. China always have Changsha, Sian and Chungking hot spots (with many potential others but those can differ). Early Burma always have Rangoon scuffle of some size. Malaya always has Singers, and it is wise to start prepping for that from day 1, cause all other Malaya battles are rear guard action.

It's against the AI so no Mersing or Singas inv.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 8
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/23/2020 4:37:11 PM   
RangerJoe

Play as if against a human. Mersing on turn two or three.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 9
RE: Setting LCU objectives - 8/24/2020 5:05:58 AM   
rustysi

As Roger says your main concern for prepping is for seaborne landings. You may add to that cross-river attacks. Other than that I tend to prep for the next base I will encounter, even if they occur rather quickly. Some prep in these cases is better than none as far as I'm concerned.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Setting LCU objectives Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI