Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Quick question re Engineers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Quick question re Engineers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quick question re Engineers - 8/23/2020 1:21:31 PM   
wobbleguts

Hi,

Probably a stupid question. Playing as France and I have a unit of engineers made up of Spanish refugees. I moved them to Paris to build defenses for the city. When I click 'select mode' the option to fortify is greyed out.

They have strength 10, Supply 12, Action points 3. If I look at the properties of Paris it says 'max entrench 6'.

Does that mean Paris is already at it's maximum fortification, or that you can upgrade fortifications to that level.

Hope you can help.
Post #: 1
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/23/2020 1:35:38 PM   
Platoonist

Basically, according to the manual (section 5.17) engineers can't fortify hexes containing resources. Which includes cities, mines and probably oilfields unfortunately.

Not a stupid question at all as I found this out the hard way too.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/23/2020 1:48:11 PM   
wobbleguts

So what can they re-enforce?

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 8/23/2020 1:55:15 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/23/2020 1:55:57 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

So what they can re-enforce?

Well, any other land terrain. Forests, clear, marsh, hills, mountains. For example, when I was defending France I used the Spanish engineers you are speaking of to try to build a defense line on the Seine river. Sadly, they didn't get much more than one hex dug-in before the Germans arrived. Probably because like you I tried to fortify a city (Ameins) first.

I believe its the opinion of some that the Spanish Engineer unit might be a poor investment in MPPs. When it finally arrives it really doesn't have much time left to dig many fortifications. You just end up using it mostly as another combat unit. A lot depends on if bad weather delays the German offensive.

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 8/23/2020 2:24:42 PM >

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 4
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/23/2020 4:43:55 PM   
Elessar2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Basically, according to the manual (section 5.17) engineers can't fortify hexes containing resources. Which includes cities, mines and probably oilfields unfortunately.

Not a stupid question at all as I found this out the hard way too.

While I can grok the possible unbalancing effect of allowing such places to be fortified, the option should at least be available in the editor. As a balancing factor I'd double the time required to build forts for a population center at least.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/23/2020 4:47:43 PM   
amandkm

I find it useful to send the engineers to Egypt to set up defenses against the Africa Corps. I can usually get one and often two hexes fortified which will cover the gap between Qatarra and the Med.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 6
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/23/2020 5:13:07 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: amandkm

I find it useful to send the engineers to Egypt to set up defenses against the Africa Corps. I can usually get one and often two hexes fortified which will cover the gap between Qatarra and the Med.

this is kind of a conventional move in War in Europe - get the engineers, ship to Egypt, build fortifications in that location. Plus there's a chance they will become Free French after the surrender.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 7
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/24/2020 3:23:16 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

I've been building right in front of Paris.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 8
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/24/2020 10:21:16 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

I've been building right in front of Paris.

Trying to do that now, but I think I left it a little late. It's April 1940 and Germany has taken Holland/Belgium/Luxembourg and is about to attack France.

It will all be over pretty soon. When it is, I will play again and try a few different tactics. Even so, it is clear France has ZERO chance of holding out. Not a question of if but when.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 9
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/24/2020 11:54:06 AM   
wobbleguts

France surrendered in August so more or less followed history. Will play again and see if I can improve.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 10
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/24/2020 10:58:12 PM   
amandkm

Every month you hold out with France shortens the Germans' timetable for Barbarossa. That's the prize for you to focus on.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 11
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/25/2020 11:30:59 AM   
wobbleguts

Well I tried again but France fell in August, just like the previous game. No interest in playing as Vichy France so I've quit. The French are hopeless.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 12
RE: Quick question re Engineers - 8/25/2020 12:24:26 PM   
PanzerCro

In my Allies playthrough enginners were very helpful to me especially in China. I built ton of fortifications around Sian and Japanese armies really broke there. After that (with upgraded infrantry) I cleared China from Japanese until mid 1944.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Quick question re Engineers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI