Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kamikazes have never been a factor, let alone, used

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Kamikazes have never been a factor, let alone, used Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kamikazes have never been a factor, let alone, used - 8/23/2020 4:44:55 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Have played 60+ games since C19. Kamikazes may have been used, maybe, repeat, maybe in one game.

1) In games where the Japs can afford to buy Kamikazes, they don't need Kamikazes. Meaning, I bought them, because I had excess MMPs to burn, thus, not used.
2) In games where the Japs cannot afford to buy Kamikazes, that's when they really should appear.

[SOLUTION] Find a historical trigger, that if the Japs are getting their butts kicked, give them some of these suicide planes. That trigger could be alot of things (lost 75% of their Carriers, lost 50% of their Islands, MMPs are down). Some Script runs. "Tojo knows times are desperate, for 25 MMPs, 3 Kamikazes can had". Just an example.

Next.......how they work need changed.

a) Kamikazes should be able to "Auto Intercept" ships that sail by. Give them a "Mission type" of, "Ram any ship which comes into range". Currently, it's rare they even get a chance. Yanks will spot them from long distance, pick them off.
b) Kamikazes should NOT take up an entire Hex. Allow them to double-stack. On key defense positions, you cannot have an Air piece wasting the space, because else, Marines will dust them. Double-stack should be allowed.
c) Kamikazes should be given more hidden attributes. Spotting is too liberal in this game. Yeah, we know some Japs are on Tarawa, but not the exact strength, for example.
d) Kamikazes should exact morale loss for US and/or maybe give a victory point or two for a kill.

Honestly, I don't know what "to do", but many pieces aren't coming into play. Suggest giving the Japs some of these units in the base 1939 game if their getting their butts kicked. Additionally, give the Germans 1-Rocket too. Maybe give the Germans some Light Tanks like Russia.

We need a thread about given Partisans a "face lift" also.

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 8/23/2020 4:45:55 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Kamikazes have never been a factor, let alone, used - 8/23/2020 5:45:28 AM   
Bo Rearguard

One idea I was thinking of would be to give the Japanese player the option to instantly convert any one existing bomber or fighter unit in a turn into a kamikaze unit at a small cost in MPPs. The converted unit would keep the strength numbers and elite attributes of the former unit if any. The kamikaze unit then could then be used on the turn it is converted. It would make for a nasty surprise weapon.

Of course, being a weapon of desperation the Japanese would get this choice triggered only if national morale drops below a certain point.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 2
RE: Kamikazes have never been a factor, let alone, used - 8/23/2020 5:48:01 AM   
Tanaka

Nice ideas here! Anything anything to make the Pacific theater interesting and count at all! Lol

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 3
RE: Kamikazes have never been a factor, let alone, used - 8/23/2020 6:15:05 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Nice ideas here! Anything anything to make the Pacific theater interesting and count at all! Lol

Need special rules for 1-hex / 2-hex battles.
The 1-hex & 2-hex battles could use an adjustment.

1) Allow for "Supply Counters" to be purchased, which can beef up an Islands supplies. These supply counters are value 1, 2, or 3. Maybe cost 20, 40, 60 MMPs. The supply counters have to be sailed (maybe) or could just appear in Islands of control, if there's no blockade. The Supply Counters are added to the City/Hex or whatever on the Island. This supply will be used once per attack (like Ships). This way, there can be some actual punch to ground battles.

2) Allow for defensive Overstacking. If not realistic, at least allow "half units'. Corp strength 5 + Air strength 5 on the Island.

3) There should be more damage on ground to ground battles.

4) Allow "close-combat" of landing forces to share the 1-hex / 2-hex islands. Meaning, you can land right on top of an island. Lock the two ground units up and dish out some damage over a turn or two, get a victor.

5) Beef up supply in the Philippines, Singapore, and Dutch Indies. Maybe make them Supply 6? Land battles need some carnage, and in the current game requires supply.

6) Allow for the building of Air Bases (thus supply). If the Yanks can deliver some punch, will give the Islands more value, thus the Japs won't hide & stall.

To make the Islands important, there has to be some supply for Ground/Air. Allow the purchase and delivery system of "Supply strength 1, 2, or 3 counters". Get some quality land vs land damage.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 4
RE: Kamikazes have never been a factor, let alone, used - 8/26/2020 6:02:26 AM   
Aussiematto

On Kamikazes - agree, I think this should be more like Norway - Japanese pay some MPPs to build something which, over time, attrites navies near them.

On the island battling problem - yeah. it's really a scale issue isn't it? (see map where Oahu has suddenly become the 'very much bigger' island so as to fit in those ports plus air+garrisons:) ). Ultimately, the game has to choose either enough detail (and size) that you could have 2-3 hexes for each island in Pac, but then have weird consequences with scale in Europe (or, have all the islands bigger than reality).

Since the game engine already allows cities to have air defence, it should be possible (in theory) to allow a city / port, to also have ground, air, arty factors added. Could be limited to cities/ports in various places like the islands to stop Moscow becoming impregnable?

So, you might have the owner of an island settlement able to build an 'air component' into the settlement itself, or a ground defence component, so that you would then have a ground unit or air unit, plus the 'built in'.

OTOH, since we all know MPPs need to get spent crushing China / India / etc maybe noone would bother?

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Kamikazes have never been a factor, let alone, used Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI