I did some concept works about this MOD/Scenario for polish Soviet war. Here are my ideas, and thoughts, but please anyone intrested don’t hesitate to give me a hint, or advice.
Name: White Eagle vs. Red Star 1920 [just as a book title by Norman Davies]
Time: April 1920 – October 1920 This is due to fact of real time of the conlfict, and the fact that early spring and late autumn in Eastern Europe is time when mud, called in Russian „razputitsya” effectively blocks any major land operations.
Turns: Not yet decided; daily, weekly (?) suggestions welcomed
Map: will include a rectangle shaped area ; from Vienna South to Gotland Island in north west , then turn east to Riga and Vielikye Luki, than turn south to Kiev and Uman at south east corner. This Area cover all Poland territory during this period and also gives the Soviet player enough „strategic depth” at the early stage of the battle. (At least i think so)
Scale: To bring into play all flavour of this conflict in my opinion divisional scale would be the best. So according to manual, as i calculate map height would be 80-90 hexes (from vienna to gotland); width would be about 100 hexes, from Vienna to Uman (it is 1021 km, so 10 km per hex circa). This should be fine according to units movement, rifle division standard at this times were 30 km/day; unless forced marched)
Units: Main would be divisions, some detachments.
I would like units would give the impression of the time, some here is ad hoc list of those that would give the historical bite ti it(Aside from standard rifle divisions and cavlary units, HQs and artillery):
Poland: R-17 Tanks Unit supplied by entante; Polish Uhlans(actually different in tactics and use than western front cavlary); Armoured trains unit(vastly used by both sides in this conflict); American Volunteers Recon Bomber Squad(recon planes gived big advantage to Poles in reconessaince); polish volonteer Army Units – As Polish forces were losing ground and Soviets were closer and closer to capital, there was massive movement of peapole willing to defend recently gain independance, 10% of whole polish army were strictly volunteers
Soviets: Armoured Cars(since they didn’t tanks, but vastly used ArmCars); Konarmia (Cavlary Army Units commanded by Budionny, they were very mobile and independent, and different from regular cavalary in tactics(using mobile machinguns tachankas etc.), Armoured Trains unit, anybody knows about Soviet airforces in this period at this front?), communist saboteurs, revolutionary forces formed on conquered lands from local people. Anybody knows about some intresting Soviet units worth mentioned please give me a hint.
Ukraine: Forces of Ataman Petlura – I am not yet sure if they should join Poles automatically or it should be a decision to make. Anybody who can give me a hint about their quantity please let me know.
Scripts – Events:
I put here my ideas, feel free to give more:
-forming polish-ukrainian Alliance, Pilsudski decides to strike on soviets, Ukrainina Units joins Poles
- Tuhachevski and Budionny bring reinforcments for Soviets, counteroffensive begins
- Lenin proclaims march to the West „to give hand for a german revolution” Soviet Morale boosted(?)
- Entante sent Military advisors (Weygand-Poland extra HQ?)
- Poles crack Soviet codes (Research -Spying and intelligence advance two levels?)
- Pro-revolution strikes and turmoil in industry areas in Poland (production depleted? Soviet partisans?)
- surge of Voulunteers – Poland gain unexperienced divisions in production queue
- Czechs took their chances while Poland struggling and take Zaolzie – Poland lose town in the south
- soviet agents spread propaganda, hinders supply, Entante convoys need to go through hungary and Romania
- Baltic States (any suggestions how to implement them? They remained neutral although Poles marched Latvias teritory during Niemen battle and suprised soviets; what about Lithuania
- East Prussia – soviets allowed to withdraw to Prussia(they are eleminated but could be rebuild at half price)
- White Russians – events that could intrfere soviets
- Tuhachevskiy and Budionny rivalry (?)
- Soviets capture Bialystok or any major city – formig of temporary Revolutionary Polish Comitee – Soviet morale boosted(?)
thats tricky, Waiting for suggestions
How to open in editor file in picture format, so I can base of actuall historical map, and then just put grid on it and „fill it up” with all elemtents.
Thanks and looking forward for advices.