Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[More Info Required] Torpedo re-attack check

 
View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [More Info Required] Torpedo re-attack check Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[More Info Required] Torpedo re-attack check - 8/18/2020 2:37:13 AM   
KungPao


Posts: 326
Joined: 4/25/2016
From: Red China
Status: offline
Hi
I noticed that Torpedoes seem don't go through re-attack reliability check. I am running at 1147.7
Based on the manual P328
quote:

weapon re-attacks. All torpedoes with terminal guidance and several modern ASMs have reattack capability (if they have it, it is marked as such in their database entry). Reattacking is possible if they are successfully jammed/ decoyed just prior to impact, or if they fail their hit-or-miss check. In the latter case, the weapon must also pass a reliability check, with the chance of a dud being ¼ of the original PoH.

(For example, a torpedo attacks with a PoH of 80% and misses. The weapon can re-attack, but must first pass a reliability check with a 20% chance of failing (80% * 0.25). If the check fails, the torpedo is a dud. If the check succeeds, the torpedo can proceed to re-attack either the same target or anyone else it acquires.)


But I have run through dozen test, got about 20-30 missed/jammed events on Mk54 (Which has PoH at 85%). None of them become dud.

I have attached my testing scenario.

Thank you


Attachment (1)

< Message edited by apache85 -- 8/19/2020 3:04:42 AM >


_____________________________

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
Post #: 1
RE: Torpedo re-attack check - 8/19/2020 3:03:23 AM   
Rory Noonan

 

Posts: 2816
Joined: 12/18/2014
From: Brooklyn, NY
Status: offline
First run on my system resulted in a few misses then a dud result; second hit and destroyed the sub.

Is there a save file or log that you can provide us with that shows multiple misses and no duds?




Attachment (1)

_____________________________


(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 2
RE: Torpedo re-attack check - 8/19/2020 7:07:59 PM   
KungPao


Posts: 326
Joined: 4/25/2016
From: Red China
Status: offline
Ouch,
It is my bad, I guess I misunderstood this rule.

quote:

“ Reattacking is possible if they are successfully jammed/ decoyed just prior to impact, or if they fail their hit-or-miss check. In the latter case, the weapon must also pass a reliability check, with the chance of a dud being ¼ of the original PoH. “


So reliability check is only for those have passed jammed/decoyed check but have failed hit/miss check? The one that have been jammed will run re-attack without any handicap?

Anyway, here is the combat log. Majority of the events are related to Torpedoes got decoyed.


Attachment (1)

_____________________________

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: Torpedo re-attack check - 8/19/2020 7:10:12 PM   
KungPao


Posts: 326
Joined: 4/25/2016
From: Red China
Status: offline
On the other hand, I noticed something weird happened yesterday.
Before the first attack the SSN has full inventory of decoy.
Here is the screenshot, after the first engagement, half of decoy depleted while the log only list two decoy (Mk3 and Mk4) events on the left. Is that normal?
I will run more test later today , I can report this in a separate topic.







Attachment (1)

_____________________________

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 4
RE: Torpedo re-attack check - 8/20/2020 4:05:17 AM   
Rory Noonan

 

Posts: 2816
Joined: 12/18/2014
From: Brooklyn, NY
Status: offline

quote:

ORIGINAL: KungPao

So reliability check is only for those have passed jammed/decoyed check but have failed hit/miss check? The one that have been jammed will run re-attack without any handicap?

Anyway, here is the combat log. Majority of the events are related to Torpedoes got decoyed.



Not quite. Torpedoes with re-attack capability will still need to re-acquire their target and make another attack, torpedoes without re-attack capability obviously don't get that opportunity.

Jammed is probably not the best word here, spoofed is more accurate. The torpedoes are being seduced by a decoy, there's no follow-on issues apart from the fact that it missed and needs to come around and try to re-acquire the target before starting another attack.

_____________________________


(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 5
RE: Torpedo re-attack check - 8/27/2020 3:45:58 AM   
KungPao


Posts: 326
Joined: 4/25/2016
From: Red China
Status: offline
quote:

ORIGINAL: KungPao

On the other hand, I noticed something weird happened yesterday.
Before the first attack the SSN has full inventory of decoy.
Here is the screenshot, after the first engagement, half of decoy depleted while the log only list two decoy (Mk3 and Mk4) events on the left. Is that normal?
I will run more test later today , I can report this in a separate topic.



I can see what happened now. Looks like the Sub will eject all decoy available. For example during the first attack check the Virginia will eject 1x ADC Mk2 Mod 0 Torpedo Decoy from 3-inch signal ejector, 1 x ADC Mk3 Mod 1 Torpedo Countermeasure, 1 x ADC Mk4 Mod 1 Sonar Jammer, and 1 x ADC Mk2 Mod 3 Torpedo Decoy from external decoy tube number 1. Same number of decoys will be ejected from tube number 2. So that is total 7 decoys waiting for the Torpedoes. That makes sense , if there is a torp pin me there could be another passive torp chasing me, I am going to dump a lot of decoy (both active and passive) and maneuver to shake them off. If the first decoy spoofed torp, other decoy expended will not show on the endgame calculation. However I also noticed that in latest version of CMANO, the endgame calculation will show the decoy ejected from both CSA MK2 Mod2 tubes, while the CMO only show one event?




(note both MK3 and MK4 has two events on the message log)



quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85


Not quite. Torpedoes with re-attack capability will still need to re-acquire their target and make another attack, torpedoes without re-attack capability obviously don't get that opportunity.

Jammed is probably not the best word here, spoofed is more accurate. The torpedoes are being seduced by a decoy, there's no follow-on issues apart from the fact that it missed and needs to come around and try to re-acquire the target before starting another attack.


Thank you for the answers and clarification. I guess this should be discussed in feature request thread , but I do feel the current rule is too harsh for the Sub. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to go back to days before silent service update when a Foxtrot could cost you 9 Mk46 to sink. My testing found out that re-attack torpedoes can always successfully re-acquire target. That is true even for old generation torp like SET-65M (0.75nm seeker range). Torpedoes will make a sharp turn that diameter is less than 0.5nm, re-acquire the target. Probably the number of my testing is limited, but I haven’t find a case with failed re-acquire. Changing the depth to another side of layer don’t work, changing the heading will invite a quicker death. In fact , it looks like the current auto-evasion mode is the best solution (although running in a straight line is not a best solution IRL). In current game , it will take 1.5min~2min before torp re-attack happens on a nuke boat. So a Yu-7 will have 2-3 attacks, a MK54 will have 4-5 attacks check. This will quickly deplete Sub’s decoy inventory and lucks, guarantee a death sentence.
So, is it possible to add re-attack pass/fail check on those seduced torpedoes too? I can’t speak what a sub commander will do in real life , I guess most logical way is to dump decoys and change the heading at the same time. Hopefully the torp will be seduced to a different direction. When the torp make a circle and initiate the re-attack process , the sub has already get out of the torp’s search cone . my 2 cents.





Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KungPao -- 8/27/2020 3:46:55 AM >


_____________________________

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [More Info Required] Torpedo re-attack check Page: [1]
Jump to:





New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts


Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI

0.180