Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How good is WIF?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> How good is WIF? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How good is WIF? - 8/16/2020 2:44:33 PM   
wobbleguts

I am a bit long in the tooth and a veteran war gamer.I bought the board version of this game years ago after reading reviews but never got to play because it got burnt in a house fire. I had read a few pages of the manual before this happened and was fascinated by the detailed game rules (like how many pilots you train etc).

Did a search on WIF a few days ago and was surprised to see the Aussie company that produced it are still there and selling WIF. Sadly the game is now very expensive and I don't think I could set it up on the table because of the cat/children and a possible angry wife.

But there was a link to Matrix games who seem to have the computer portal rights. This is excellent news because I have SC WW2 at war and it is good.

Is the matrix version of WIF as detailed as the board game? Also I've read conflicting posts on the AI opponent. Some say it is not available because the game is so complicated and you can only play by PBEM etc. Is that correct? I would need to play solitaire against inbuilt AI.

If there is an effective AI opponent can I look at the manual before purchasing?

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/16/2020 3:14:31 PM   
davidachamberlain

I think the game is pretty good, but there is not "yet" an AI component available. It is on the backlog after implementation (and fixing) of remaining optional rules and scenarios.

I do not see that as a problem though. The rules of the game are rigorously enforced in the logic, so the rules management is not really a concern.

You can play the game solitaire, with an opponent or even a group using a screen sharing app like Teamviewer.

You might initially think that solitaire will have expected outcomes, but between the fog of war impacts of weather, a random turn ending, combat rolls, and even forgetting planned moves, the game is a good challenge, even with solitaire.

At present, I am playing using Teamviewer with 4 other opponents in different Canadian provinces and states. It has been a long game since life gets in the way. I also continue a solitaire game when I have time. No pieces to lose and everything stays organized.

Dave

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/16/2020 4:28:02 PM   
Angeldust2

The Matrix version of WIF = MWIF is as detailed as the boardgame version. In a sense it is even more detailed, as the whole map is in the "European map scale", thereas the boardgame version uses for Asia and other parts of the world so called off-map boxes. Basically MWIF is a better way to play WIF, the differences/compromises are so minimal, they can be neglected by you.
MWIF is a computerised version of WIF FE (Final Edition), also known as WIF7.
Two years ago ADG, the creator of WIF, has published a new version of WIF, called WIF8. WIF8 is developed further, more streamlined and polished, than WIF7 and MWIF does not emulate WIF8, but MWIF is still supported by the developer, gets bug fixes and regular updates.
There is currently no AI opponent implemented. Still there are several major advantages to play MWIF instead of the boardgame. There is no problem with cats/children/angry wives, as you already found out by yourself. But the biggest advantage IMHO is for a newbie in learning the game: The game forces you to adhere to the rules and makes it so much easier to learn and to master this more-than-three-decades-old-game. It is the best learning tool you can imagine! I have seen on several occasions very experienced players on conventions playing some rules wrongly for 20+ years, because they were used to play some minor rules always the same wrong way in their local groups. Setting up a game is so much quicker than in WIF. It is easier to not forget some units to move. You cannot unintentionally flip a counter or move it by one hex on the East Front unnoticed. You can save easily and simulate/study some situations in different ways.
The game is ideally suited to be played solitarily, both just to learn the rules, but also for fun and to master the fine details. And you can still play with/against other players, both online but also offline, using email and/or other chat applications like whatsapp or teamviewer/skype/discord.
Read some AAR and you will get an idea.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 3
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/16/2020 9:03:40 PM   
jesperpehrson

It is awesome. It is the best WIF-experience I have had and I have been playing the game since the mid 90s.
Best thing is to play for a while on your own and then find an opponent who will play with you via email. It is perfect for whatever pace you agree to and very enjoyable.

(in reply to Angeldust2)
Post #: 4
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/17/2020 3:10:41 AM   
craigbear

I would wait for a sale, though. They happen intermittently.

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 5
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/17/2020 10:37:50 AM   
wobbleguts

Thanks for all the info. It sounds great.

However, can you confirm one more time that I would be able to play the game on my own, without any opponents - ie, play as both sides? I'm 99.99% convinced you have already confirmed this - just want to make absolutely sure because this is how I would like to learn the game. I'm guessing it would be an option like there is in SC WWII, where you can change the powers you and the AI are playing during gameplay. But can you start a game of WIF if there isn't an AI or opponent? You can't do that in SC WWII, the AI has to be given a power to control before you start. Does WIF have an additional solitaire option when creating a new game? Worried that if I try to start a game, the option to play as both sides will be greyed out/inaccessible (like it is in SC), or if I give the opponent some control and press next, I get a message like 'opponent not found try again' or similar. Hope you understand my concerns about this. Can someone explain how you start a WIF game without any opponents or AI? Have never played a strategy game that allowed you to do this.

(in reply to craigbear)
Post #: 6
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/17/2020 11:00:08 AM   
Angeldust2

Yes, there is an explicit solitaire option to start a game.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 7
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/17/2020 11:56:20 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angeldust2

Yes, there is an explicit solitaire option to start a game.

Thank you!

My last question is for the matrix team. When I ordered SC WWII, I wanted the box set (because it included a hard copy manual). I posted a a question about the contents of the box set and Matrix said they were not shipping box sets due to the Covid virus . so I had to download it.

This meant I only got a PDF manual, which I hate.

Can I order a boxed WIF game and get it shipped to Australia? When I was trying to order the box set of SC WWII, the Matrix store didn't tell me it was no longer available. Only found out this was the case from the forums.

I would like to order the box set of MWIF (with manuals etc).

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 8/17/2020 1:53:56 PM >

(in reply to Angeldust2)
Post #: 8
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/17/2020 12:06:30 PM   
Nami Koshino

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

You can't do that in SC WWII, the AI has to be given a power to control before you start.

You can play both sides without the AI in Strategic Command. Just start in the game in hot seat mode.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 9
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/17/2020 12:44:02 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

You can't do that in SC WWII, the AI has to be given a power to control before you start.

You can play both sides without the AI in Strategic Command. Just start in the game in hot seat mode.

Thanks. Never understood what Hot seat mode means and just ignored it. What is Hot Seat mode?

(in reply to Nami Koshino)
Post #: 10
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/17/2020 1:52:47 PM   
Angeldust2

Hot seat mode is for two opposing players playing on the same computer. You should just start a solitair game.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 11
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/17/2020 2:07:00 PM   
wobbleguts

On the same computer. Got it.

(in reply to Angeldust2)
Post #: 12
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 12:30:06 AM   
Neilster

Welcome wobbleguts, from sunny Tassie.

Probably the best place to start with learning MWiF (Matrix Games World in Flames) is the video tutorials, which are available here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQkQv9Xhx2Y&list=PLk5K-IfEIqTtlqaAQfETz-2oZSJD3fs-C

I made my avatar from the global map in MWiF. Those are it's actual dimensions.

Attachment (1)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 13
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 12:31:39 AM   
Neilster

An example of the European scale applied to the Pacific Theatre.

Attachment (1)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 14
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 12:32:26 AM   
Neilster

Unit types

Attachment (1)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 15
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 12:33:57 AM   
Neilster

Land units explained

Attachment (1)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 16
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 12:35:37 AM   
Neilster

Air units explained

Attachment (1)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 17
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 12:36:25 AM   
Neilster

More air units stuff

Attachment (1)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 18
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 12:39:23 AM   
Neilster

An example of counters at lower resolution. There are multiple levels of zoom for ease of play.

Attachment (1)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 19
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 12:43:33 AM   
Neilster

An example of part of a game screen from SEP/OCT 39.

Attachment (1)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 20
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 1:30:02 AM   
Neilster

Lots of work has already been done by WiF experts on the AI and I'm confident it will arrive. You can peruse it here...

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1771

In the meantime, MWiF is excellent to play solitaire and that's a great way to learn the system. As mentioned above, you can play against others too.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 21
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 1:24:25 PM   
wobbleguts

Thanks Neilster,

The maps and icons etc look great. Are they new? Don't remember seeing the map pack in the Matrix store before but I saw it today.

Waiting for Matrix to confirm that I can order the box set of the game (with a hard copy of the manual). Tried to do this the box set of SC WWII and was told it was download only because of Covid.

Once confirmed I will buy it. However, I can't really justify paying the same again for a map pack. Maybe sneak it into the budget a few months later.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 22
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 2:21:21 PM   
Neilster

I'm not sure exactly what you mean re map. The images I posted are, from memory, just before MWiF was released. The one with the global map is to illustrate the size of the digital map in the game. When I ordered the game, I paid extra for a physical version of the global map (in six parts). I'm not sure if that is still available.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 23
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/18/2020 11:02:10 PM   
Neilster

The icons may look different to your old boardgame version because MWiF incorporates all the "chrome" of the add-ons like Planes in Flames, Ships in Flames etc.

With regard to my suggestion about watching the tutorial videos. I'd highly recommend taking notes in a structured and easily accessible form. There's just too much to remember and certain things are vital to playing properly.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 24
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/19/2020 1:45:57 PM   
wobbleguts

Sorry, thought the images you sent related to the add-on map pack you emailed me about. So the images are from the standard game? Looks good.

The Matrix store says the box version of MWIF is available, but it said that about SC WWII as well. I was just about to finalize the purchase of SC but before I did so , I posted a question about the exact box contents (as the description was a bit vague). That's when they told me they weren't shipping due to Covid.

Matrix haven't got back to me about my query on purchasing the MWIF box set. I'll wait a few days in the hope that they do. If not I will try ordering it anyway and see what happens. I hate online manuals!

On a completely unrelated question, I was amazed that Matrix had developed a computer version of WIF without my knowledge. Has anyone successfully ported old AH games? Loved those back in the day.

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 8/19/2020 1:50:07 PM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 25
RE: How good is WIF? - 8/19/2020 2:47:57 PM   
wobbleguts

Matrix got back to me and yes, they are still shipping the box set. Ordered it and am downloading the digital version now.

2.9GB install file. that looks promising.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> How good is WIF? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI