Inherent supply system.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Uxbridge

Inherent supply system.

Post by Uxbridge »

In my most recent attempt to make a new scenario, I have the problem that supply doesn't adhere to the logic pattern of other scenarios. Normally, the supply value of a hex drops considerably when the path enters terrain as swamp or forest, but in my scenario it simply drops 1 value/hex regardless of the terrain.

I thought the supply system was source coded. Could I have touched anything in the editor to make this happen?

Attachments
supply.jpg
supply.jpg (196.84 KiB) Viewed 281 times
AlvaroSousa

RE: Inherent supply system.

Post by AlvaroSousa »

If you made a BRAND new from scratch you need to match the settings for everything.

You can click Data -> Import the defaults from file.

I would compare 1939 scenario Campaign setting with the new scenario setting to match. I try and keep up these values to what is in the 1939 scenario but sometimes I miss one.
Also the countries aren't set at all. You need to set everything manually in this.

You could load up the 1939 scenario then File/Quit -> Create Blank Map and everything will stay the same except the countries. Those you have to manually enter.

Are you just modifying the 1939 scenario?
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

I'm trying to recreate a Napoleonic scenario using WarPlan, to be played PBEM and with some special home rules to better reflect the movements and combats of the time. I started this last Wednesday, and memory already fails me which scenario I used as starting point, but I'm almost certain that I would have chosen the default 1939 campaign and none of the already modded versions.

I changed the normal major countries into the majors of 1815: England, France, Prussia, Russia, etcetera. Then I redraw the borders and control to that of 1815. It was only recently I discovered that the supply situation on the map had altered.

I have basically no understanding of the things you suggest above; this is a part of the editor that I have stayed off. Trying to follow your advices only throws me back to WWII in one way or the other.

When you refer to "setting", is there a way to alter the inertness the supply goes through a hex in the editor?
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I see you took off all the rail it seems.

You need to get creative then. You need to change the rail graphics to roads the change the text to say rail.

Easiest way is the logistics tab and flip the rail/road toggles. Make roads to rail and rails to roads. That way you dont have to import the name change file or change the graphics. You won't be using "roads" which are the rail image after the switch.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

No. Sorry to be a bother, but either you mean that my taking roads and railroads away ruined the supply system, or I haven't been clear enough.

I want neither rail, nor roads. The only thing that should be there are occasional cities to act as depots, stretched as neclaces across Europe.

I opened the original game to make an example. Here I have taken all rail and roads away from some deeper part of Russia. There's only one city. From this city supply goes out in all directions, losing 1 level for each additional hex away from the city. When it reaches the outskirts of the forests, the terrain makes it lose 2.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (180.79 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

In this example, snow has set in, reducing the supply range even more.

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (182.13 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Until it gets very difficult, with a proper blizzard sweaping across the plains.

This is what I try to accomplish, forcing the generals to march their men when conditions are favourable, dreading the aspect of getting caught in really bad weather.

But if you return to my original image at the top of the thread, you can see that terrain no longer effect the supply value. Apparently, neither does weather.

Is this because I took the rail and roads off? Or have I done anything else to cause it?

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (147.93 KiB) Viewed 281 times
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Well then go to Resources and each resource select supply source for it.

Rifle through, pun intended, the resources and you will see all the toggles for each individual one.

Remove all roads and rail. Just set up the cities as supply sources and viola, vive le France!
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

You are not being a pain in the ass. I will answer any questions about the editor.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Now it works. I returned to an older build of the scenario, took "supply source" off everything but the cities, and then clicked off both "road" and "rail" from each type (didn't know one could do that or why). It worked.

Then I did the same changes to the current build, but now the problem persisted. Solution is to simply return to the older, now functional, one and re-work things from there, but I'm none the wiser why the problem appeared in the first place, or why I could fix it in my first, but not the second, try.

However, the combination of supply, distance and weather now works in harmony. Thanks for your support. [:)]
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

email me the scenario I will quickly look. Could be a bug.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Couldn't find any way to e-mail with attachement. Here's a link to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmplo30qo9ag ... Z12ja?dl=0

This should be the build where I first noticed the problem, after I had made some roads to help the supply. Since the roads seemed useless, they are gone now. The problem most certainly started with the rail removal and road building.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Got busy finally looked at it.

You have a few solutions.

Choose one of the cities you are not using.
Replace the city icon with a supply depot icon #115 on the resources menu item (it is near the top of the resources image sheet
Make it a supply source
Put it on the map to cover various areas
It will only for for whoever owns it.

flip roads and rail.
go into My Games\WarPlan\UserSavedData\logisticsNames.txt and swap rail and road.
Data -> Load Logistics Names
Grab the My Games\WarPlan\Campaigns\_New Custom Images\logistics.png and swap the road and rail.
Now use what says road to draw roads. But the roads will act like rail not reducing supply.

Otherwise the supply looks like it is working correctly.

place less supply sources and use the new supply depot #115 in the resources tab to extend supply ranges. It can go 3 deep. But you need enough supply source cities so players dont get cut off so easily.

If I was making this scenario I would look at Empire in Arms. Best game for this era on this scale IMO.

Sorry for the late response. A bunch of stuff came up.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Do you mean that the supply worked as it should on your machine?? Odd.

Anyway,

1. Once the weather and supply worked, turning a number of urban hexes into cities is a workable solution. Depots will only do the same thing. The day they actually collect supply and are something one can place, like ack-ack or airfields, I will be much more interested in them. They are, nevertheless, a welcome addition in general.

2. Same as above, but I must try this if only to see what you mean. I have understod that there's a way to draw rail or road the way you draw something with a pen, but every time I try that, the editor goes haywire, spraying things in a totally random fashion. Each time I have to close the editor and reload. There's something titled "draw rail" there. When I draw a road or rail, I have to have that turned off, or a number of spooky things happen. Now I will try it again.

3. I have had Empire in Arms on the top of a shelf for 25 years, but never had a chance to play it. [:)]

AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Supply sources create supply and spread within 9 Opts reducing per move
Rail creates a 0 cost hex
Road ignores terrain
Depots acts like a supply source if it is in supply.

You can't place supply depots as a player. Only as a resource.

The rail you draw on the sides of the hex. It takes a little practice.

#4 you could also have a few supply sources but make sure they are within 3 supply depots away from each other then just use supply depots to extend the supply. Supply depots count for BOTH sides.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

I have a number of 0 cost hexes speading out from most of the cities. This way the player can rest his units there without compromising the food (oil) stocks.

I don't think the depots will change anything in the previous scenario, but I'm very much tempted to make a more detailed game of the Ligny-Waterloo campaign now. If I do, the depots will work better than the cities.

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”