Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Entrenchment Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Entrenchment Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Entrenchment Questions - 8/15/2020 7:09:47 AM   
Tanaka

Why would you ever not entrench from 3 sides? Why is less even an option?

When you have entrenched the next turn entrenchment is still an option? Why? Can you entrench more and more each turn? If not why is the option not greyed out when already entrenched?

Post #: 1
RE: Entrenchment Questions - 8/15/2020 8:27:23 AM   
BillRunacre

It can be more aesthetically pleasing to only entrench 2 sides only, it depends on where on the map you are.

The facing of a trench is important, so if you have built it facing one way and the enemy advance towards your flank or rear, then you will want to re-entrench so that your trench is facing this new threat.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: Entrenchment Questions - 8/15/2020 8:31:08 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

It can be more aesthetically pleasing to only entrench 2 sides only, it depends on where on the map you are.

The facing of a trench is important, so if you have built it facing one way and the enemy advance towards your flank or rear, then you will want to re-entrench so that your trench is facing this new threat.

I see now thank you!

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
RE: Entrenchment Questions - 8/15/2020 5:59:30 PM   
MVP7

Having less than 3 sides also lets you better make sure that enemy doesn't benefit from your trenches if they take over the hex.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 4
RE: Entrenchment Questions - 8/15/2020 6:54:28 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: MVP7

Having less than 3 sides also lets you better make sure that enemy doesn't benefit from your trenches if they take over the hex.

Ha valid point!

(in reply to MVP7)
Post #: 5
RE: Entrenchment Questions - 8/16/2020 8:31:13 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka
When you have entrenched the next turn entrenchment is still an option? Why? Can you entrench more and more each turn? If not why is the option not greyed out when already entrenched?

This seems to be to allow for a change of facing...but the trenches are still limited to a maximum of three sides.
This begs the question then, as to why couldn't the three sides already in place can't remain such that only one or more new sides could just be added? Is it because some of the existing sides need to be recycled for a new side/facing?

C

< Message edited by Christolos -- 8/16/2020 8:32:02 PM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 6
RE: Entrenchment Questions - 8/17/2020 4:54:09 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

Fine tuning an existing 3 sided trench by rotating slightly can make all the difference on a dynamic front. Entrenchment rigor is recommended all the time...because an eagle eyed opponent will jump on that exposed flank if warranted. As for aesthetic reasons to having a 2 sided or 1 sided trench...I know for a fact that having those options confounded me when I first started learning this newest iteration of the SC series. For example, I thought for some time that a shorter facing trench got stronger (if you had the tech up) faster for some derping reason.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 7
RE: Entrenchment Questions - 8/18/2020 6:24:01 AM   
Torplexed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Christolos

This begs the question then, as to why couldn't the three sides already in place can't remain such that only one or more new sides could just be added? Is it because some of the existing sides need to be recycled for a new side/facing?

On page 152 of the game rules it states that: The reason that a trench has a maximum of 3 sides is that a unit cannot attempt to defend a broader front than that efficiently, and if the situation changes then you can always change the facing by entrenching again in a subsequent turn.

So, I guess the three hex sides is meant to represent a unit's maximum frontage. Although it does seem odd that a detachment can hold the same amount of frontage as an army corps.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Entrenchment Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI