Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion - 8/13/2020 6:03:58 PM   
mdsmall

It is good to see in the latest update that the Irish gain control over the three ports seized by the British if the UK surrenders. However, what if the UK player has just lost control of Great Britain to a successful Sea Lion but is still in the war with his capital moved to Toronto (which is the situation in my current game)?. I assume from this reading of the rule change that the UK still hangs on to these ports and the only way the Axis can permanently eliminate these annoying Allied bases is to invade Ireland or win it over through diplomacy.

I would have thought the incentives for Ireland to continue to honour this agreement with UK would be minimal, once the Axis controlled Great Britain. Might this be changed in a future update?
Post #: 1
RE: Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion - 8/13/2020 6:29:53 PM   
The Land

I agree. Also worth looking at what happens when *Ireland* surrenders. Strange for the port hexes to remain British when Ireland has surrendered to Germany.

Of course this might all take a lot of scripting to resolve what is usually an issue of tidiness rather than gameplay...

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion - 8/13/2020 6:32:10 PM   
mdsmall

I'm glad I asked! I was about to invade Ireland as the Axis just to eliminate these thorns in my side. It never occurred to me that those three ports would still remain British after I conquered Ireland.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 3
RE: Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion - 8/13/2020 7:38:41 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

I'm glad I asked! I was about to invade Ireland as the Axis just to eliminate these thorns in my side. It never occurred to me that those three ports would still remain British after I conquered Ireland.

It's still worth doing! Ireland will end up as Supply 5 not 3 like GB - so it's a much better place to position air units to interfere with any attempted Allied counterattack.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 4
RE: Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion - 8/17/2020 3:35:20 PM   
mdsmall

So, at the end of my current campaign as Axis, I decided to declare war on Ireland and invaded it from Northern Ireland (which I had captured the year before). The Irish mobilized with one 10 strength corps in Dublin which I eliminated on the first turn with three German corps, backed up by one HQ providing supply from Belfast. The port hexes that Ireland had ceded to the British remained Allied, but as soon as I moved my German corps into the adjacent Irish towns, they become Axis controlled. The only thing that did not change was the white border around them on the map.

So, I definitely agree that if the Axis player has conquered Great Britain and has a few corps and a HQ to spare for a couple of turns, it is definitely worth conquering Ireland as well. Of course, a minimally defended Axis controlled Ireland would make a very soft target for an American long distance amphibious invasion. But that should be the subject for another thread.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 5
RE: Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion - 8/18/2020 3:12:58 AM   
ThunderLizard2

Is this against AI or in PBEM?

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 6
RE: Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion - 8/18/2020 5:57:57 AM   
mdsmall

I was playing against the AI on the Intermediate setting.

(in reply to ThunderLizard2)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Irish ports after a successful Sea Lion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI