Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Amphibious and airborne assaults

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Amphibious and airborne assaults Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Amphibious and airborne assaults - 8/11/2020 7:02:16 AM   
mdsmall

Hi - I have a couple more general questions that follow from my last post (about attacking Malta) regarding these two kinds of specialized attacks.

- Is there any attack penalty for attacking an enemy unit via an amphibious assault directly from the sea (i.e. from a coastal or ocean hex), rather than disembarking on shore and then attacking from an adjacent land hex? If you do attack directly from the sea and you fail to destroy the enemy unit, can you still disembark on an unoccupied adjacent land hex (if there is one)?

- Similarly, can you drop airborne units and attack by directly parachuting onto an enemy occupied hex, rather than landing in an adjacent hex? If you can, are there any attacking penalties? And what happens if the airborne attack fails to destroy the enemy unit it is attempting to land on - does the airborne until land instead on a vacant adjacent hex (if there is one)?

In my current game as the Axis, I decided to try both kinds of assault in the same turn to capture Northern Ireland. Belfast was defended by a 5 strength garrison. I landed in adjacent hexes on either side of Belfast with my infantry corps making the amphibious assault and my airborne unit. That allowed me to use my one Action Point left for each unit to attack the enemy garrison and destroy it - but then I had no movement left to actually occupy Belfast in the same turn and capture its supply source. If I could have attacked the Garrison directly from the sea or the air and succeeded in destroying it, I assume I could have then occupied the Belfast hex and would have started the next turn at a supply level of 3, rather than 0.
Post #: 1
RE: Amphibious and airborne assaults - 8/11/2020 7:15:21 AM   
The Land

So Amphib units get one attack from their transports if there's a valid target, then they can land and attack again. This can indeed result in a unit attacking, landing, attacking and being unable to advance to capture the target - this is just an occupational hazard, you either need to commit more amphibs or find more air support.

Paratroops differ. They do not attack while they land, and trying to drop on an occupied hex will mean the para unit scatters to a nearby hex. Once landed they have I think one AP to move or attack with.

This means amphibs are more powerful, but also they cost lots of MPP to build (while a parachute drop costs nothing at all)

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Amphibious and airborne assaults Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI