Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tech prereqs need to be given

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Tech prereqs need to be given Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/9/2020 7:44:26 AM   
jimwinsor

Some techs on the tech chart cannot be discovered unless other techs are researched. However, the tech chart tooltips inform of the problem, but offer no indication of what the prerequisite tech might be.

Some are fairly obvious, such as needing Combat Armor before Heavy Combat Armor. Others are a bit tricky, such as when I finally stumbled over the fact that Walker Hydraulics unlocks Battledress.

But there are others I'll never be able to guess, such as ICBMs. I've researched Rockets, Missiles, everything with the word Nuclear in it ... and still, I have no clue what it takes to discover ICBMs. This one has me completely stumped.

I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere, but the point is, these prereqs really need to be spelled out in the tooltips.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
Post #: 1
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/9/2020 3:29:30 PM   
DTurtle

So that's what I was missing in order to discover Battledress.

I agree with this. Guessing games for stuff like this are quite tedious.

It is possible to research ICBMs before, but I don't have a clue as to the prerequisites.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 2
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 12:52:34 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere, but the point is, these prereqs really need to be spelled out in the tooltips.

Discovery is random. It's a lottery.

I'm not sure how it ultimately helps in any way, given you can't influence it at all.

There is really no reason to stress over individual tech discoveries, beyond what we can influence. For example, we can influence the tech types--economic, etc.

Might be nice to have for informational purposes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 8/10/2020 12:54:46 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 3
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 1:59:26 PM   
demiare

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

They are NOT about discoveries. Some techs have prerequisites. For example - heavy combat armor need polymer armor first, battledress - walkers hydraulics.

But NOTHING in game say it.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 4
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 7:49:22 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: demiare

quote:

They are NOT about discoveries. Some techs have prerequisites. For example - heavy combat armor need polymer armor first, battledress - walkers hydraulics.

But NOTHING in game say it.

I know, but so what? Is it because of cross-cutting tech categories?

For discussion only, let us say Heavy Combat Armor (Mi) was a prerequisite for Battledress (Mi). How can a player use that information to make a decision or meaningful choice? You put budget into Mi and eventually prizes pop out of the machine.

Maybe if Industrial Robotization (Ec) was a prerequisite for Walker Hydraulics (Mi) there could be a case for some budget changes.

Discovery is so nondeterministic, it just doesn't seem worth the effort beyond strategic prioritization of technology fields.

On the other hand, I would sell your soul for improvement in the finance cash flow report.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 8/10/2020 7:57:27 PM >

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 5
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 7:56:00 PM   
demiare

quote:

I know, but so what? Is it because of cross-cutting tech categories?

Because if you already UNLOCKED a tech group then such technology will be not marked as undiscovered but as marked as unavailable as lacking prerequisite.

Main source of confusion that we have techs permanently locked for whole game (atmospheric techs if you atmosphere lack gases or tectonic tech on world with no geological activity).

So new player have zero way to know - he WILL be able to research Battledress sooner or later or not.

It isn't a big issue, true, but a little more text in tooltips are tiny amount of work and that will make UI a bit better for beginners.

Post #: 6
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 7:58:57 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

Because if you already UNLOCKED a tech group then such technology will be not marked as undiscovered but as marked as unavailable as lacking prerequisite.

Meh. So now the player knows. What do they do about it?

Also, I'm not sure that's a tiny amount of work to illustrate.

... Whatever. Ok. Sure. +1.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 8/10/2020 8:04:50 PM >

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 7
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 8:10:56 PM   
HansLemurson

You may not have the option to control which techs you Discover, but you can choose which ones you Research. Discoveries will tend to open up in the direction you do the most research since that's where you're unlocking the prerequisites to make previously locked techs discoverable.

The complaint is that some techs are locked away and undiscoverable and it's not obvious what Research path you'd need to take from your available choices to open that tech up to Discovery.

Post #: 8
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 8:25:49 PM   
demiare

quote:

Why bother to illustrate? More then enough to add into tooltip : "You need to have XXX to discover that tech". See atmospheric water recompositor as example ;)

Post #: 9
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 9:29:37 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

quote:

Why bother to illustrate? More then enough to add into tooltip : "You need to have XXX to discover that tech". See atmospheric water recompositor as example ;)

Slippery slope.

I know this all just subtle lobbying for player controlled tech discovery.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 8/10/2020 9:33:16 PM >

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 10
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/10/2020 9:33:03 PM   
demiare

And? I'm playing Aurora 4X too, you can't scare me with a bit of text - not even tables :P

Post #: 11
RE: Tech prereqs need to be given - 8/11/2020 12:31:01 AM   
jimwinsor

I'm at a point where I've discovered all other possible "MI" techs I can reach. So the fact that I don't know the prereq to ICBMs is a complete barrier to my immediate progress towards discovery of it. There's no randomness involved.

Once I do manage to research the mysterious tech that allows ICBMs, there is a 100% chance all my discovery BPs will go to ICBM discovery.

And I would really like the tech to break the slogfest the ground war has become. So it is a VERY big deal.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Tech prereqs need to be given Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI