See my post from 5/16/2021 down below for the latest version!
So I've already got this on the Steam Workshop but I figured I'd throw it up here as well for the non-Steam folks:
Ever wished military procurement boards had eaten even more paint chips than normal? Always wondered what would happen if they HAD gone with those wacky prototypes and "what-if" vehicles? Ever dreamed of smashing those vehicles together in Armored Brigade? Well now's your chance!
The goal of this mod is to add alt-versions of real world nations filled with all sorts of prototypes and proposals that never made it to the battlefield. Think MBT-70s, AH-56 Cheyennes, and all those fun Soviet "Objects". In addition, the timeline has been extended from 1950 to 1995, and some base game factions have been extended to this new timeframe. Since a lot of there prototypes went nowhere, there has had to be some...creativity when it came to the later years. For example, the US didn't develop any new rounds for the 152mm after the MBT-70 was cancelled, so I had to completely invent a few. However, I've endeavored to keep things somewhat balanced by keeping the alt-nation capabilities within the realm of what their real world counterparts had at the time. So for example, new 152mm rounds, while differing in penetration and range, don't exceed the capabilities of the US 120mm rounds that actually existed. Similarly, there were no upgrades of the MBT-70, what with it being cancelled and all, but I've added updated versions with composite armor and thermals.
Now I haven't managed to extensively test things for balance so if something added seems way to strong, let me know and I'll tweak the unit price. If things seem too weak however...keep in mind a lot of these prototypes had some real quirks. A heavy tank with only 18 rounds and an autoloader that lets it fire them ridiculously fast may seem like a recipe for disaster but hey, that's what they proposed! Please let me know if anything like a major bug shows up (graphics not found, etc...).
Union of North America [1950 to 1995]
- Basically what if the US bought every weird boondoggle prototype instead of what they actually did. Think MBT-70s and odd post-WW2 heavy tanks with a few Canadian things thrown in (ADATS, Skink, etc...)
Extended Original Factions:
US [1950 to 1995]
USSR [1950 to 1995]
- Union of North America added
- US extended to 1950 to 1995 timeframe
- USSR extended to 1950 to 1995 timeframe
Place the unzipped folder in the databases folder of your Armored Brigade install. Then, in Change Settings, select the 'WorldWarImprobable' database and launch the game.
Will you extend the timeline?
- No. I went with 1950 and 1995 for specific reasons. 1950 so that there would be a period where heavy tanks still had a major role, and HEAT wasn't being thrown left and right. I stopped at 1995 because to be honest, the Javelin (and similar top attack missiles) start getting thrown around after 1996 and trust me, after a few tests those are not fun or balanced in this game.
This armor value off by 10mm!
- Not really a priority. Does it radically affect gameplay or balance? If not, I mean for the most part these are prototype vehicles, they were never built. However, if something is really off then it might be a bug so please let me know in the comments.
Can I use <whatever> from this in my mod?
- Sure go crazy. Grab units, whole factions, whatever. The more mods merge together the better as far as I'm concerned.
Please add XYZ to the mod!
- I'm definitely open to suggestions. The only thing I'd like to avoid is overly duplicating capability so if a faction already has an MBT for a given period for example, I probably won't add another one. That being said there are gaps where I couldn't find appropriate prototype substitutes (and the real world vehicle is in there instead) so if you have any ideas throw it in a comment!
Plan for next version: Alternate Germany
< Message edited by Mr_Luxury_Yacht -- 5/16/2021 8:57:19 PM >