Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ supply distribution

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> HQ supply distribution Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 8:40:45 PM   
mdsmall

Hi - I am in the middle of my first game of SC WWII: War in Europe and am struggling as the Axis to complete my conquest of Great Britain. Supply is a big constraint for my forces, since unlike France or Poland, there are no land rail links back to Major Supply Centers in Germany. I have brought over two German generals to help bump up the supply from captured British towns but am having a hard time figuring out the optimal placement. Most of the towns in the Midlands after being captured (if they have not been damaged) are worth 3 resource points to me. According to the HQ supply distribution rules, a full strength HQ should bump up 3-5 incoming resources to 8 in its own hex. But in many cases, my generals only generate 6 points of supply and it seems to vary by the town. For example, I can get a supply of 8 from an HQ stationed in Coventry (worth 3 resource points) but only 6 from an HQ stationed Birmingham next door (also worth 3 resource points). Why the difference? I can’t figure out the factors which would explain this.

Also, can HQs bump up each other’s supply levels if placed nearby? For example, if one General on a 3 resource level town generates level 8 supply, could that feed into another general two hexes away on a 6 supply level hex, enabling the second general to increase supply distribution to 10? I tried this one turn and it did not seem to work, but I don’t know why not.

Michael
Post #: 1
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 8:49:20 PM   
Platoonist

Are both of the German HQs you have in Great Britain at full 10/10 strength?

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 8:52:15 PM   
mdsmall

Yes, they are. I can move the same HQ from one town, where it generates only 6 level supply, to another town with the same resource level only two hexes away and get 8 level supply.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 9:28:00 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

. For example, I can get a supply of 8 from an HQ stationed in Coventry (worth 3 resource points) but only 6 from an HQ stationed Birmingham next door (also worth 3 resource points). Why the difference? I can’t figure out the factors which would explain this.

I'm thinking you may be fighting the scorched earth rules with HQs in still damaged cities. Coventry fully repaired would have a supply value of eight in the box. Is that what its number is currently at?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 8/7/2020 9:31:04 PM >

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 10:02:46 PM   
The Land

quote:

For example, I can get a supply of 8 from an HQ stationed in Coventry (worth 3 resource points) but only 6 from an HQ stationed Birmingham next door (also worth 3 resource points). Why the difference? I can’t figure out the factors which would explain this

So both HQs would on their own have 3(6) supply - taking the 3 from the resource and turning it into 6.

In this case one HQ is 'boosting' the other - so it looks like the Coventry HQ is being boosted up to 8 by the adjacent HQ.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 5
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 10:03:49 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

I'm thinking you may be fighting the scorched earth rules with HQs in still damaged cities. Coventry fully repaired would have a supply value of eight in the box. Is that what its number is currently at?

UK resources occupied by Germany won't go above 3, as there is no link from the UK to any German source of supply.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 6
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 10:10:31 PM   
Markiss

There have been changes to the supply rules since the manual was written. An HQ no longer can magnify a supply of 3-4 to an 8, only to a 6. It must get a supply of 5 to magnify to an 8 now.

However, they are allowed to "chain" and one HQ can supply another. I believe a road is required, or so it seems to me. The rules around supply are bit arcane, those who understand them best win most of their games.

I will let someone wiser than me explain the details, or you can go through the change logs.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 7
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 10:17:31 PM   
mdsmall

Ok - but according to the Manual, Section 7.25.4 on HQ Supply "HQ Supply Distribution Value = 8 if the current supply value of the HQ is 3 to 5".

So, right now I have one 10 strength HQ on Coventry, with an incoming supply of 3 that has Supply Distribution Value of 8; and three hexes away, I have another 10 strength HQ o Sheffield, also with an incoming supply of 3 that has a Supply distribution Value of only 6.

Why are both HQ's not at 8, given the rule quoted above?

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 8
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 10:18:44 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

Ok - but according to the Manual, Section 7.25.4 on HQ Supply "HQ Supply Distribution Value = 8 if the current supply value of the HQ is 3 to 5".

So, right now I have one 10 strength HQ on Coventry, with an incoming supply of 3 that has Supply Distribution Value of 8; and three hexes away, I have another 10 strength HQ o Sheffield, also with an incoming supply of 3 that has a Supply distribution Value of only 6.

Why are both HQ's not at 8, given the rule quoted above?

assuming you were writing your post while Markiss was writing his - he's correct, the manual is a year or so out of date

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 9
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 10:20:13 PM   
mdsmall

Thanks - I only saw this post after my last reply. But how do you know what the current rules are if the Manual is not up to date? Where are these change logs of which you speak?

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 10
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 10:35:57 PM   
Markiss

When you open WiE, in the lower right of the screen there is a "patch notes" button right above the "check for update" button. This is a record of every change that has been made to the game since its original release, in excruciating detail. The cumulative effect of these changes is the current state of the game.

You would have to read through them one by one to find all of the supply changes. It can be tedious, but it is very informative.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 11
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 10:45:22 PM   
Sugar

You`ll have to watch the version logs, each new version has it`s own.

The major change to the supply rules happened in V 1.16.03:

quote:

HQ distribution supply has been changed to the following:
o HQ supply = 0 will have a distribution supply value of 3 (previously it was 5).
o HQ supply 1 or 2 will have a distribution supply value of 5.
o HQ supply 3 or 4 will have a distribution supply value of 6 (previously it was 8).
o HQ supply 5 will have a distribution supply value of 8.
o HQ supply > 5 will have a distribution supply value of 10.
o HQs (boosting recap) can now only be linked if the first HQ has a supply value >= 3.
o the HQ to be linked must have a supply value < 5 and is now automatically boosted to a supply value of 5 which caps its distribution supply at 8.

HQs (boosting recap) don`t depend on roads, but movement points necessary to cover the distance between both HQs (like in all supply related distribution).

I recommend to use the supply distribution prediction (twice hitting the "S" button) and keep at least 2 action points in reserve when positioning the receiving HQ (if it shows "8" at the place your 2. HQ is in, then everything`s fine because at max.). At best you can place it 5 hexes away from the first HQ, bot often I`m surprised on my own on the results; it`s obviously hard to calculate on my own, or I`m bad at calculating. This only applies if just 2 HQs are involved...

Anyway due to the fact the supply rules are hard to research with the manual offering no help at all anymore, I suggest to return to the old rules, where you needed 1 supply to distribute 8 and 6 to distribute 10, no linking required and the same rules for aircraft.

Nearly no new player is able to figure the supply without private tutoring anymore, and the old system was simple as well as forgiving.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 12
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 11:32:57 PM   
Mithrilotter

One needs to have one HQ by a supply 5 port. That is the only way to get any decent German supply in the UK or Allied supply in Italy.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 13
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/7/2020 11:44:31 PM   
Sugar

That`s actually not the case: if you leave 1 HQ in a town (providing 6 supply when the town`s at 3, and 3 is the most brit. towns and cities will create), a 2. can receive 3 supply, distributing 8.

Noticeably the 2. is providing 8 and the 1. 6 in this case. If a connencted port provides 5 supply, then both HQs will distribute 8 if chained correctly.

(in reply to Mithrilotter)
Post #: 14
RE: HQ supply distribution - 8/11/2020 12:55:43 AM   
mdsmall

Everyone's explanations of these "hidden" rules are appreciated. I understand why I am now getting 8 supply from my two German HQ in Britain - one is sitting in Glasgow, a level 5 port (fully functional now) while the other is two hexes away next to Aberdeen. I've learned never move a unit anywhere on the board without checking the supply projections first.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> HQ supply distribution Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI