Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it possible to use the same planet when restarting a game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Is it possible to use the same planet when restarting a game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it possible to use the same planet when restarting a... - 8/4/2020 9:06:55 PM   
VonWulfen

Hi all.

After a lot of tinkering and re-roles, I have a great planet to practice and learn the game mechanics.
I have made a few mistakes and would like to start again but on this planet.
Is it possible to use the same planet when restarting a game?
Post #: 1
RE: Is it possible to use the same planet when restarti... - 8/4/2020 9:09:04 PM   
Malevolence

"lastplanetgenerated.se1" is the last planet you rolled before turn 1.

You can begin again (before turn 1) by loading that file instead of another savegame.

My own, limited, testing indicates the start positions are fixed. That's a guesstimate.

Unless you rename and/or move that file. It will be overwritten when you roll a new planet.

FYI-- all new games are born from the "randomgame.se1" scenario file.

When you complete the planet creation segment the "lastplanetgenerated.se1" is saved in your savegame directory.

Each auto savegame or manual savegame is also a scenario file--with all the changes to state since the previous load.

The developer makes changes and fixes to two significant files. First to the runtime game engine called "ShadowEmpire.exe". Those changes do not require a new game.

However, when the developer makes changes to the base scenario (i.e. randomgame.se1), then a new game must be started to incorporate the fixes/changes.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 8/4/2020 9:20:00 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it possible to use the same planet when restarti... - 8/4/2020 9:40:37 PM   
demiare

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

WARNING! This file will be generated ONLY if you have enabled "Auto save" in game preference BEFORE generating new world.

If you disabled it during your game - you have no way to re-enable it but load existing save, enable and only then generating a new planet.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it possible to use the same planet when restarti... - 8/4/2020 9:43:02 PM   
zgrssd

The planet after creation is saved in the aforementioned "lastplanetgenerated.se1".
You can rename it, save it another place, share it, do whatever else you want.
Similar to Civilisations 2, there is no difference between a Scenario and a Savegame.

However, a lot of things that change with Updates are actually part of the savegame. All those things that are marked with "requires a new game to apply" in patchnotes? Those will not work for any existing savegame, including the saved planets.
The scenario version is fixed to whatever version you created the planet with.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 8/4/2020 9:44:11 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Is it possible to use the same planet when restarti... - 8/4/2020 9:43:09 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: demiare

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

WARNING! This file will be generated ONLY if you have enabled "Auto save" in game preference BEFORE generating new world.

If you disabled it during your game - you have no way to re-enable it but load existing save, enable and only then generating a new planet.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe put that in "Did you know" in the War Room.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it possible to use the same planet when restarti... - 8/4/2020 9:48:52 PM   
VonWulfen

Many thanks all.
I had the "lastplanetgenerated.se1" file luckily :)
Loving the game so far and can see there is so much depth already :)

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Is it possible to use the same planet when restarting a game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI