Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for good grand campaign scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Looking for good grand campaign scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/2/2020 4:22:55 PM   
Rising-Sun

Though about giving this another try on grand scenario, but should i stick with default or stock? I was told there are some you can download, but i see so many of them. If i can find the right one, gonna see if i can find a player willing to play along with it, instead of using the AI this time.

What i am looking for is good balance, esp for those units that arent in forward areas that needed to be transported whatever you want it. Also noticed some units are off the chart with their stats or abilities as well.

And recommendation?

Post #: 1
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/2/2020 4:34:08 PM   
Evoken

Well most grand campaign scenarios are balanced around Japan is strong for a year(give or take) then allies catch up and get stronger kind of mentality so there is always asymetrical balance of force.

Almost all grand campaign scenarios have first turn magic move task forces , if you plan to play as Japan you can elect to not use them.

What do you mean with stats are off the charts ? I am pretty confident a lot of research went into making this games scenario 1 and most of the units are very close to what they were capable of irl

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/2/2020 4:44:08 PM   
RangerJoe

Read this AAR and see how much fun Lowpe is having as Japan:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4804514

Andy has also updated a scenario 2, only one AI script but it would be best to save your current scenario 2 if you don't like it. It may still have some problems, I think that I will ask him if he wants my input.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/2/2020 4:53:14 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

Well most grand campaign scenarios are balanced around Japan is strong for a year(give or take) then allies catch up and get stronger kind of mentality so there is always asymetrical balance of force.

Almost all grand campaign scenarios have first turn magic move task forces , if you plan to play as Japan you can elect to not use them.

What do you mean with stats are off the charts ? I am pretty confident a lot of research went into making this games scenario 1 and most of the units are very close to what they were capable of irl

Last year i went over some details, started out on the Russia side and noticed alot of units arent accurate or someone gave the Russia a huge buff. Some of those units still station over in Germany, manage to cross over on the rail line way too fast and many of them had huge XP buffs as well. Another interesting, one or more of their aircrafts arent accurate either with their stats.

Anyway many told me dont even worry about the Russia stuffs, pretty much the Japan will ended much sooner. So idk if that is true whether they are playing with AI or PBEMs. I was trying to get my facts down and make this realistic as possible. When i noticed that many units were born in the forward areas without being transported, didnt like that at all.

In the old WItP, it was okay, but that is wacky and need alot of work done to make it more realistic.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Read this AAR and see how much fun Lowpe is having as Japan:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4804514

Andy has also updated a scenario 2, only one AI script but it would be best to save your current scenario 2 if you don't like it. It may still have some problems, I think that I will ask him if he wants my input.

That look interesting, not sure how much he need to work on that project. I do remember there one Japanese destroyer was misspelled and they left out Fuchida, Mitsuo that lead Pearl Harbor attack from Akagi. I had some stuffs going on my mod, but never complete it and had to wipe the drive due to serious bugs.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 8/2/2020 5:06:13 PM >

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/2/2020 5:09:45 PM   
Evoken

Oh i see you are looking for as realistic as possible mod , well check out RHS mod : https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4006288 in this link. I believe thats the most realistic mod in Witp

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/2/2020 5:22:42 PM   
RangerJoe

I have no problem with the magic move task forces since they were actually at sea and moving but adding to them is a problem for me. The British were monitoring the task forces and speculated that they were heading to Siam but thought that they were the target in Malaya. But they dithered and did not prepare their defences like they should have.

Think if Admiral Phillips would have been in Manila earlier and got the Asiatic Fleet surface vessels to back up Force Z. Either in it or following it. The rest of the ships probably would have evacuated the area other than the small coastal steamers. The submarines at sea with war loads . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/2/2020 10:49:35 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

I have no problem with the magic move task forces since they were actually at sea and moving but adding to them is a problem for me. The British were monitoring the task forces and speculated that they were heading to Siam but thought that they were the target in Malaya. But they dithered and did not prepare their defences like they should have.

Think if Admiral Phillips would have been in Manila earlier and got the Asiatic Fleet surface vessels to back up Force Z. Either in it or following it. The rest of the ships probably would have evacuated the area other than the small coastal steamers. The submarines at sea with war loads . . .

Oh i also had Force Z further south near Java, so it would reach invasion zone by the 10th of December too. I ran number of tests and see how it played out, it did well and almost feel like the real thing here.

Idk i may get back in there and redo my work, also had Eastern USA base too. There were some aircraft production and resources, etc.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/6/2020 6:48:07 PM   
spence

I suspect you're looking for a challenge as Japan. Try the Big B Mod and see if you can do as well or better than the Japanese actually did historically given a "real stalemate" in China (the Chinese have such things as AT guns, artillery, and even tanks and you're forced to garrison every city) where you can only withdraw extra forces at your peril.

(If playing pbem see if you can get your opponent to go along with evaluating oaa 15 Mar 42 or some other early end date. The problem is that you'll have to hurry).

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 8
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/6/2020 11:23:53 PM   
spence

The original WitP had a short scenario that 'simulated' the first 3 months of the Pacific War. Although the map was too small to prevent the Japanese from hunting down the British CVs (there was no place to run to) and a few other foibles (such as Kaga hitting a coral head upon arrival in the theater and subsequently be limited to 15 kts for the most part) it was an OK scenario.

For the Allied side there should be a scenario that forces the Allies to hurry a bit. Give them their P-47s, F4U-1s and F6Fs but make them hurry some like ending around 1 Jan 1944. (Frankly you have to be a masochist to want to simulate kamikazes and making Halsey's statement on Dec 7th 1941 that the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell come true). Evaluation should be by VPs (but it shouldn't cost 15 VPs to replace an Ensign (O-1) with a Captain (O-6) in command of a cruiser.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/7/2020 11:11:09 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

Oh i see you are looking for as realistic as possible mod , well check out RHS mod : https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4006288 in this link. I believe thats the most realistic mod in Witp

Wrong, that title goes of course to MY mod

Joking apart, I have a lot of respect for the work my fellow modder Sid (author of CHS) and we have exchanged PMs and mails about our respective mods.

RHS is incredibly detailed concering the infrastructure network (e.g. seasonal river transport) and concerning the OOB (e.g. Vietnamese Bin Xiyun Pirates).

But I believe the economy in RHS is out of whack - there is way too much supply production scattered all over the map and that is not realistic.

However, I do not claim that my Bottlenecks mod design choices are any better - just different.

Another very serious contender is the B-Mod which Spence has already mentioned, which is focusing on greater historical combat realism through modifiying device stats and TOEs, but it does not add many new units and AFAIK does not tinker with the economy.

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 10
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/7/2020 1:15:25 PM   
Rising-Sun

I will look into it when i get a chance and yes the resources arent setting up accurate like it did in history. Probably cause the balance things out to keep the AI going well esp for Japan. Funny to see alot of oils and resources on Hokkaido. And i dont believe there any oil fields in the Sakhalin Island or North of Hokkaido. Noticed there alot of minor oil fields scatter all over Japan, is that even accurate? I know there is good oil fields in Akita or near that region.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 11
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/7/2020 2:35:32 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

I can only comment on the small oil fields my mod has in Japan. These represent the small domestic oil production which did exist on Japanese soil but also coal liquefaction plants who were producing syntetic fuel from coal obtained from domestic mining. Note that these "oil fields simulating coal liquefaction" start with 0 production, so they need to be repaired to yield oil and are limited to just 5 oil points each. It's just a drop in the bucket.

See http://www.combinedfleet.com/Japan_Oil.htm, http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/O/i/Oil.htm (for Sakhalin http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/O/k/Okha.htm)

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 8/7/2020 2:38:48 PM >

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 12
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/7/2020 4:29:48 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

I can only comment on the small oil fields my mod has in Japan. These represent the small domestic oil production which did exist on Japanese soil but also coal liquefaction plants who were producing syntetic fuel from coal obtained from domestic mining. Note that these "oil fields simulating coal liquefaction" start with 0 production, so they need to be repaired to yield oil and are limited to just 5 oil points each. It's just a drop in the bucket.

See http://www.combinedfleet.com/Japan_Oil.htm, http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/O/i/Oil.htm (for Sakhalin http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/O/k/Okha.htm)

Ah that make sense, too bad they didnt have breakdown on those resources, such as coals or energy, metals, rubbers, etc. But that would be much more complex system that needed to be transported, esp for the AI.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 13
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/8/2020 4:24:16 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Ah that make sense, too bad they didnt have breakdown on those resources, such as coals or energy, metals, rubbers, etc. But that would be much more complex system that needed to be transported, esp for the AI.

Shouldn't the rubbers be considered part of supply? You know, to help keep water out of the muzzle of the firearms?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 14
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/10/2020 1:43:25 AM   
el cid again

Micro Update 5.80

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwhZAU7bdtWbbscE_oLg

For the latest updates.

RHS has several scenarios. These are divided into groups:

121 Strictly historical, Full detail, Russians active (to give Allies options, not because they are at war)

122 Strictly historical, Simplified, Russians passive (designed to play vs AI as Japan and for tests)

123 Strictly historical, Full detail, Russians passive (for those who hate Russians active, otherwise = 121)

124 Strictly historical, Simplified, Russians active (simply 122 with Active Russians)

125 Japan Enhanced, Full Detail, Russians active (assumes better planning since July 1941)

126 TEST BED - FUTURE Downfall Scenario - in development - simplified, designed for play vs AI as Japan,
full map equal of stock's Downfall scenario - the only one using suicide planes

129 Japan Enhanced, Full Detail, Russians active (Assumes better planning since 1931)
This is what the Allies THOUGHT Japan did - planned for aggressive war for a long time. !931 because that is
when hulls and engines standardized, not because it is nice round number. Radicals (Yamamoto and Yamashita)
took over IJN & IJA - so NO new battleships - focus on carriers and aircraft - focus on armor - better economic
foundation.

Contact me or Mifune for technical support or explanations.

See the RHS Documentation folder in the installer for lots of information of interest.

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 15
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/10/2020 11:43:15 AM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Micro Update 5.80

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwhZAU7bdtWbbscE_oLg

For the latest updates.

RHS has several scenarios. These are divided into groups:

121 Strictly historical, Full detail, Russians active (to give Allies options, not because they are at war)

122 Strictly historical, Simplified, Russians passive (designed to play vs AI as Japan and for tests)

123 Strictly historical, Full detail, Russians passive (for those who hate Russians active, otherwise = 121)

124 Strictly historical, Simplified, Russians active (simply 122 with Active Russians)

125 Japan Enhanced, Full Detail, Russians active (assumes better planning since July 1941)

126 TEST BED - FUTURE Downfall Scenario - in development - simplified, designed for play vs AI as Japan,
full map equal of stock's Downfall scenario - the only one using suicide planes

129 Japan Enhanced, Full Detail, Russians active (Assumes better planning since 1931)
This is what the Allies THOUGHT Japan did - planned for aggressive war for a long time. !931 because that is
when hulls and engines standardized, not because it is nice round number. Radicals (Yamamoto and Yamashita)
took over IJN & IJA - so NO new battleships - focus on carriers and aircraft - focus on armor - better economic
foundation.

Contact me or Mifune for technical support or explanations.

See the RHS Documentation folder in the installer for lots of information of interest.

Hi el cid, i did took a look over there and i got lost lol. So i wasnt sure what or where to look for it. I know you put alot of work into it, my questions is...

How the resources and industrial input and output are setup? Still the same??
Do you have more path options for upgrade? Even those silly patrol boat doing 10knts, i have so many of them on the Japanese side and would like to scrap them. Least turn some of those boats into resources or something. Infact Japan did manage to scrap or melt alot of tools, machineries and other that provide some resources they really need.
Now the last question, how is the resource centers laid out? Included oil fields too. The stock campaign is not setup right like it was in history at all.

So looking for a grand campaign to play on the Japanese side and see what it feel like, probably play vs. AI. Unless i can find someone will take easy on me lol.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 16
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/10/2020 1:28:23 PM   
RangerJoe

Those silly patrol boats doing 10 knots can be your picket line.

If you are referring to the To'su, then they can be converted to the the CMc to lay some explosives around a base. Convert them them to something else again, do it over and over until all of your ACMs are busy protecting all the mines that they can, then some of the To'su can become ACMs themselves.

ASW patrols in coastal water only.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 17
RE: Looking for good grand campaign scenario - 8/10/2020 4:54:51 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

Those silly patrol boats doing 10 knots can be your picket line.

If you are referring to the To'su, then they can be converted to the the CMc to lay some explosives around a base. Convert them them to something else again, do it over and over until all of your ACMs are busy protecting all the mines that they can, then some of the To'su can become ACMs themselves.

ASW patrols in coastal water only.

True, i converted some. But having hundred of them can be annoying. I had them parked in low port areas, until i need them for another ACMs or something else. The victory points on some of those boats seem to be way off.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Looking for good grand campaign scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI