Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 7/31/2020 11:53:17 PM   
taffjones

Playing as both Axis and Allied side's against PBEM opponents

The Italian East Africa destroyer unit is a useless unit at the moment.

Every Allied player will move the Australian navel units and position then 2 hexes away from the deployment port out of sight of the destroyer unit, and bring a aircraft carrier to the area.

As soon as it moves it will be surprised by a Allied navel unit losing 3 or 4 strength points taking it down to 1 or 2 strength. The next turn it is hit by the A/Carrier and killed even if it has made it back to port.

Possible solutions to this in my opinion would be to either change its deployment port to a 50/50% of ether of the Italian East African ports. Which means the Allies have to divert more Navel units from the Med/Atlantic to cover both ports and weaken them there.

Or to make it a Sub unit as it's highly unlikely that the Allies will have developed anti sub warfare by the time of its deployment. So it increases its ability to survive and damage Allied units/Convoys.

What are your opinions as other players?
Post #: 1
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/1/2020 12:06:49 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

Or to make it a Sub unit as it's highly unlikely that the Allies will have developed anti sub warfare by the time of its deployment. So it increases its ability to survive and damage Allied units/Convoys.

You could make that argument as the Red Sea Flotilla did have eight submarines attached to it, some of which eventually escaped to German occupied France.

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 2
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/1/2020 4:12:05 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

Playing as both Axis and Allied side's against PBEM opponents

The Italian East Africa destroyer unit is a useless unit at the moment.

Every Allied player will move the Australian navel units and position then 2 hexes away from the deployment port out of sight of the destroyer unit, and bring a aircraft carrier to the area.

As soon as it moves it will be surprised by a Allied navel unit losing 3 or 4 strength points taking it down to 1 or 2 strength. The next turn it is hit by the A/Carrier and killed even if it has made it back to port.

Possible solutions to this in my opinion would be to either change its deployment port to a 50/50% of ether of the Italian East African ports. Which means the Allies have to divert more Navel units from the Med/Atlantic to cover both ports and weaken them there.

What are your opinions as other players?

Yeah the destroyers pretty much get destroyed the same turn they are deployed. I think the fleet was historically based in Massawa and yes there was a sub squadron.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4853642

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 8/1/2020 4:14:12 AM >

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 3
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/1/2020 7:47:40 AM   
boudi

By the way i saw a german strategy. he put subs and battleships close to Leningrad port a turn before Barbarossa, so the soviet baltic fleet appears behind the german naval units and is easily destroyed in a single turn. It's a little bit the same problem than the italian DD in Somalia.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 4
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/1/2020 12:48:57 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: boudi

By the way i saw a german strategy. he put subs and battleships close to Leningrad port a turn before Barbarossa, so the soviet baltic fleet appears behind the german naval units and is easily destroyed in a single turn. It's a little bit the same problem than the italian DD in Somalia.

Yeah, that is pretty gamey. Unfortunately the game's one unit per hex stacking limits in combination with areas of constricted geography creates some of these opportunities to claim hexes before your opponent can deploy. Maybe the Soviet Union needs something similar to the Pan-American Security Zone....or some deadly minefields in the Gulf of Finland.

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 8/1/2020 12:49:14 PM >

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 5
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/1/2020 5:21:19 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: boudi

Oh dang what a dirty nasty gamey play haha wonder if there is any way to fix this? Maybe newly deployed units should not be allowed to be attacked until the next turn? They cannot move when deployed anyway. And yeah would be cool if the other games were updated with mine warfare as well...

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 8/1/2020 5:25:18 PM >

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 6
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/2/2020 5:13:55 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Yep, plenty of gamey moves. Well, its a game. On the flip side, if you know that's allegedly gonna happen every time, then adjust for it :) I've never used the Austrialian Naval to bother with a strength 5, Destroyer. What's the Destroyer gonna do? I typically have better things to do then park outside East Africa.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 7
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/3/2020 1:20:58 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

Yep, plenty of gamey moves. Well, its a game. On the flip side, if you know that's allegedly gonna happen every time, then adjust for it :) I've never used the Austrialian Naval to bother with a strength 5, Destroyer. What's the Destroyer gonna do? I typically have better things to do then park outside East Africa.

You can't adjust automatic deployments unfortunately. This is the same issue that killed the DAK deploying in N. Africa. Allied players would just lie in wait to destroy.

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 8/3/2020 1:22:05 AM >

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 8
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/3/2020 1:32:07 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

You can't adjust automatic deployments unfortunately. This is the same issue that killed the DAK deploying in N. Africa. Allied players would just lie in wait to destroy.

Correct, you cannot change auto deployments. But if you know your opponent will use two or more Aussie ships for the ambush, then send a German ship to Australia and cutoff his ports there & New Zealand. (an example)

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 9
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/3/2020 12:10:01 PM   
amandkm

Elvis makes a good point. The cumulative loss of MPP from the Aussies and/or Kiwis will outweigh the impact of the Italian DD's.

Post #: 10
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/3/2020 12:18:22 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Here we good a good solution, keep the game historical.

1) For whatever reason, a Destroyer strength 5 will appear in port. Fact. Guessing it was programmed based on history.
2) When it comes "deployment" time. Allow Italy a choice. Pop-Up says, "Destroyer name <fill-in-blank>" is now supporting East Africa
3) User can choose the following: a) Would you like this ship to sail (appear in port)? b) Would you like the ship to be patrolling Indian Ocean? (if so, ship will appear away from ambush).

different subject:

One could also, argue, when a neutral is invaded, the defender can configure the defense. Historical people may not like this. But when it comes to Poland, Yugo, Russia, Low Countries, we know the default setup. Neutrals may have at least made an adjustment.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 11
RE: Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units - 8/3/2020 8:58:46 PM   
Hubert Cater

Some good ideas here JJR, thanks and it has given us something to think about for sure

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Deployment of Italian East Africa Navel units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI