Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rail heads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Rail heads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rail heads - 7/30/2020 2:31:36 PM   
Sieppo

Do rail heads stop the rail line? Or can I build them as supply centers on rail lines? This is said in the manual:

"However, Railroads to properly
function need to have a beginning and an ending. Rail Station Assets provide
this function. But so do Rail Head Assets (2). If there is no ending on a certain
railroad only 10% of the Rail Logistical Points will be allowed to be “spread
out” over that railroad, as it the case with our little branch (3)."

If I put rail heads in the middle of the rail line, will trains stop and go back? I've never built them as I've thought they would do this. And if they do, wouldn't it be possible to create small supply points by having small one hex lines leading to rail heads?

< Message edited by Sieppo -- 7/30/2020 2:33:30 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Rail heads - 7/30/2020 3:10:31 PM   
lloydster4

There's never a reason to build a railhead in the middle of a line.

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 2
RE: Rail heads - 7/30/2020 3:15:45 PM   
demiare

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Do rail heads stop the rail line? Or can I build them as supply centers on rail lines?

No. Yes.

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 3
RE: Rail heads - 7/30/2020 3:18:33 PM   
demiare

quote:

ORIGINAL: lloydster4

Easy. Supply your own troops fighting sudden appearance of enemy if you aren't playing on smallest map. Trucks range is too limited even with lvl3 supply station. Same could be used to supply a new city.

This isn't a normal situation, true. But sometimes you need it.

(in reply to lloydster4)
Post #: 4
RE: Rail heads - 7/30/2020 3:19:55 PM   
demiare

quote:

And if they do, wouldn't it be possible to create small supply points by having small one hex lines leading to rail heads?

No, railstop will only allow your units to pick their supplies from that hex. For something more you will need to build a Truck Stop here (idea of building several railstops isn't sane).

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 5
RE: Rail heads - 7/30/2020 6:27:21 PM   
Sieppo

quote:

ORIGINAL: demiare

quote:

And if they do, wouldn't it be possible to create small supply points by having small one hex lines leading to rail heads?

No, railstop will only allow your units to pick their supplies from that hex. For something more you will need to build a Truck Stop here (idea of building several railstops isn't sane).

Of course its sane. If they provided supply mids the line going along the front, it would be wise to build them mids the line. I usually build my main road-rail-networks at parts along the line I'm going to war at. One hex is enough since rail is not good to drop supply along its way, that was my whole question. Truck stops do not affect rail lines IMO, I mean how can they grab supplies from moving trains?

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 6
RE: Rail heads - 7/30/2020 6:31:42 PM   
Sieppo

quote:

ORIGINAL: lloydster4

My point was is there any way to grab supply from a line without a rail station. A rail head seemed like it, since it does not give any additional maglev-points but thought it stops the rail since it is called a HEAD.

(in reply to lloydster4)
Post #: 7
RE: Rail heads - 7/30/2020 6:40:33 PM   
demiare

quote:

Truck stops do not affect rail lines IMO, I mean how can they grab supplies from moving trains?

C:combo. Railhead + Truck Station :)

Railhead alone is barely usable to supply troops, viable only in desperate situation like you need to defend your railways in middle of nowhere as organic logistic range is abysmal. And don't forget that distant Railhead will bestow a HUGE admin penalty to it's city...

If you need to supply large troops too far away (sealed roads & supply base 3 is not enough) consider to build a new city here with railhead + truck station.

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 8
RE: Rail heads - 7/30/2020 7:12:16 PM   
lloydster4

quote:

My point was is there any way to grab supply from a line without a rail station. A rail head seemed like it, since it does not give any additional maglev-points but thought it stops the rail since it is called a HEAD.

You can access rail logistics at any point along the railway

From the manual p. 311

Any Hex with Rail Points is a place where the train can stop and offload. Or in other words: you do not need a station to offload your trains. You need two stations (or one station and one railhead) for Rail Points to be applied on the rail hexes between them

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Rail heads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI